PDA

View Full Version : Budget track car build, advice required

Dod
30-05-14, 04:22 PM
So I got myself a 1.6 16v Corsa that I fancy tracking, its a decent spec with Koni adjustables, Cali brakes up front and a stainless steel system, its a good going motor.

Obviously I'm trying to get its best out of it as cheap as can be. I will be cutting the boot floor out to run a straight through exhaust, but what else should I go for?

deneil_gsi2000
30-05-14, 04:39 PM
Free up some ponys with a power box type inlet. Helps them breathe alot easier

Stuart
30-05-14, 04:40 PM
Id just use it and see what needs changing.... After all you won't ever win at a trackday

turbojolt
30-05-14, 05:38 PM
dunno but if you need spares mowgli is/was breaking a 1600 sport sport

Southie
30-05-14, 05:59 PM
As mentioned some type of powerbox on the inlet, also a decent service wouldn't go a miss. All depends on how much you want to throw at it Dod.

paddy235
30-05-14, 06:24 PM
I'd go for a good set of tyres first then go for power

Dod
30-05-14, 07:37 PM
The powah box is a good idea actually. I'm thinking about lightening the car as well, removing the door bracing on the inside as they're reinforced inside to, simplifying the the loom and around the engine bay and fitting epas instead of the traditional hydro set up. I see a lot of people running the fuel lines inside too, any benifit?

Basicially anything cheap or that I can do myself I'm game for, or anything swappable from other bigger motors to help?

Dod
30-05-14, 07:39 PM
Paddy, thats a very good point. I'm running 15" steels on -60mm spring so what size should I run?

turbojolt
30-05-14, 07:42 PM
you can find tons of 2nd hand 195/50 semi-slick tyres on ebay

Dod
30-05-14, 07:46 PM
I used to run 205 50s all round but was thinking on a set of 205 45s but I'm wondering if theres any advantage to a lower profile.

Southie
30-05-14, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't run too low a profile as they'll wear out fast when cornering, a set of 888 proxies is what I'd be looking at... Not the cheapest new and very soft but they grip like hell, just make sure your tracking and cambers up to scratch or you'll eat any tyres alive ;)

turbojolt
30-05-14, 07:53 PM
but you can get a sets of used 195/50 so cheap and they are readily available

dgbnova#1
30-05-14, 07:56 PM
Anything to make it lighter will help less loom is a good one there monsters when you get them out swop glass for polycarbonate fiberglass Pannels are well cheap for corsas bucket seats big breaks as stoping better always helps bit there are loads of bits on eBay cheap for that engine and plug on here has a power box for sale

Dod
30-05-14, 08:00 PM
You got a link mate? Also, I was looking into the FG panels but cant find any, any recommendations?

dgbnova#1
30-05-14, 08:07 PM
No it's private sale he's not posted it up yet
Cmcomposits can do the glass Pannels for the Corsa
MiniManDan on here they do poly carb windows

pottersrebel
30-05-14, 08:16 PM
Id just use it and see what needs changing.... After all you won't ever win at a trackday
As a short oval racer I completely agree with stuart go out in it standard then change things and go from there. why spend money on parts you may never need. The first thing I would spend money on is the suspension, you can spend all the money you want on grippy track tyres but without a decent suspension set up you wont get the full benefit of the tyres.

Dod
30-05-14, 08:35 PM
I had set myself a budget and as the car came in sooo much cheaprr than expected I can affird to throw a few quid at it without going mad. Poly windows and fg panels would probably be the most I'd spend, suspension wise its good to go so tyres are next and as the lads wel pointed out there are parn worn slicks or smis readily available.

mowgli
30-05-14, 09:34 PM
are you planning to road it or trailer it to track days?

if roading it, then you need creature comforts

Dod
30-05-14, 10:46 PM
Iare you planning to road it or trailer it to track days?

if roading it, then you need creature comforts

Yeah, thats the plan. I'm not concerned about comfort but as long as it has the bare minium to have it tested then I'm happy.

mowgli
30-05-14, 10:48 PM
keep door bars etc..., heaters too... screen visibility & driver protection are pretty important

Southie
30-05-14, 10:52 PM
I think Dod the main opinion on here then is basically drive it like you've stole it, if it's not good enough you'll know what's needed and take it from there... Which track are you thinking of taking it around as some on here may know it in your neck of the woods ;)

Stuart
31-05-14, 10:41 AM
Fwiw fancy track tyres will mask two things, the suspension as you won't know if it's actually poo and driver skill.... Road tyres aren't that much slower on a complete lap time and a grip limited (from the tyres) setup will let you learn more and have way more of a giggle (imho)

Dod
31-05-14, 07:52 PM
Unless theres a cage in it the door bars are staying and Stu, thats thats the kinda info I need.

paddy235
31-05-14, 08:03 PM
I'd buy some good tyres, strip it out and set the suspension up properly and have some fun in it

jimbob-mcgrew
03-06-14, 02:44 AM
ive got a brand new de-cat pipe still in its bag, that i was going to sell if you want it.

fits corsa B + tigra A

about 4 horse power for £30 posted

i also have a modified front engine mount. non-air con / non-pas 'type 2' mount, that i could throw in for another £20.
ditching the aircon and pas would free up more power and a fair bit of weight from the front end, which will aid handling.