PDA

View Full Version : Sump gasket

Pulsar_stu
30-05-14, 01:43 PM
About 6 months ago I if a new cork sump gasket to my 13sb.
I haven't driven the car but start it up regularly. About a month ago I noticed the sump was leaking and when I checked the bolts weren't tight :/
so I re tightened them and the oil leak stopped. I thought maybe it was normal with a cork gasket...

But the leak has just started again tho :/
i didn't use any sealant when I fit the new gasket. Should I have?

It isnt pissing out! Just a small slow drip and in two places :(

what at does everyone else do when fitting a sump gasket?

thanks.

craig green
30-05-14, 10:04 PM
I use red RTV sealant with the gasket, on each face.. You can get it from Toolstation for about £3 a tube (gun size)

Pulsar_stu
30-05-14, 10:29 PM
Thanks mate. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not.
i will grab some.

Southie
30-05-14, 10:32 PM
I always had some sort of sealant between as the gasket never sit flush otherwise. Craig summed it up tbh.

conza123
30-05-14, 10:38 PM
I used a thin bead of three bond sealer (stuff the hold Yamaha motorbike engines together with) with lock tite on bolt threads with spring washers and torqued them up and mines perfect 500 miles and not a drop :)

Southie
30-05-14, 10:40 PM
Conza, are you sure you put oil in... I jest mate lol

conza123
30-05-14, 10:41 PM
Conza, are you sure you put oil in... I jest mate lol
It's dripping out of sump plug ;) so it's a vauxhall lol

Southie
30-05-14, 10:47 PM
It bloody better not be :( you've spent too much on your rotbox lol

conza123
30-05-14, 10:56 PM
It bloody better not be :( you've spent too much on your rotbox lol
It's were I did a oil change on the floor I think, and sump plugs not all that so gotta brand new one genuine plug and washer for when I do my 500 mile oil change tomorrow :)

Southie
30-05-14, 10:59 PM
Double check it's not crossed threaded and keep checking your oil regularly then ;)

conza123
30-05-14, 11:03 PM
Double check it's not crossed threaded and keep checking your oil regularly then ;)
I've been checking it all the time it's o wait a sec while I dip my oil when going out and it's not cross threaded just a **** cheap plug with a crap copper washer so got some new plug new washer new filter all genuine to go on tomorrow, just gotta deside to put millers running in oil in or gm10w40 semi oil in

Southie
31-05-14, 12:31 AM
I ran milners on an old engine for about 200 miles then dropped the oil and put valvoline 10/40 in mine, tbh though the vauxhall 10/40 is good enough for yours as it's used by many people who have cars... Not just people who own Vauxhalls ;)