PDA

View Full Version : Failed MOT :(

Nutty Nova
28-05-14, 03:26 PM
So yesterday i took my nova in for mot after a rebuild thats took 7 years.

Unfortunately it failed on a few points.

Brake light not working which was down to a corroded bulb.
Brake balance insufficient across axle.
Headlights discoloured
No side repeaters.

slight corrosion to one sill.

So my question to you is where is the line between needing side repeaters or not?

How do i manage to get one of the drums to work as effectively as the other when pulling the handbrake?

And how can they say headlight are discolored when they're brand new items? lol

dgbnova#1
28-05-14, 03:31 PM
Well post pics of headlight and with it on also as it could be the bulb there also

check your cable is not stuck and if all is good you gona need to take the hub off and adjust it manually on that side

it's taken 7 years to build it to fail that's got to be a record lol not a lot really is it

Iain
28-05-14, 03:32 PM
wtf you been doing for seven years? Polishing it? lol

Pics of headlights required.

Did the drums get fully rebuilt? If not just do that all the parts are readily available

Nutty Nova
28-05-14, 03:39 PM
I had a drive to rebuild it 7 years ago. Stripped it down over 6 months and it then sat for 3 years. Then did all the work on the shell and had it resprayed and it again stood for 3 years, since then i finally decided i wanted to get it back together for PV this year but took some time finding everything as had moved out from my parents place and they either boxed loads of stuff or binned it so yea not been easy.
I think you maybe right i do have some golden headlight bulbs in which could give that impression shall get pics after work.

I put new drums, shoes, springs and master cylinders on when built aswell as new cables

dgbnova#1
28-05-14, 04:22 PM
Then you need to adjust up one side then as that's prob your problem

just swop bulbs for standard for mot and tbh general driveing there prob better

if it's sat for years even new cables stick as they rust in the guide so give them a spray with wd40 or similar before anyone says it's crap lol

craig green
28-05-14, 04:31 PM
Seeing as most points have been covered, I will say congrats on getting a Nova back into use again & on the road. Keep at it.

Nutty Nova
28-05-14, 04:34 PM
Cheers guys i will get it on the road in time for pv im sure, booked friday off work to try get everything done in time.
Cheers craig cant believe your still here after all these years also. Still see alot of members on here from when i originally joined in 2004

Adam
28-05-14, 05:38 PM
TO not need side repeaters basically you have to be able to see the front indicators from a set distance away from the side car. Obviously a mk1 would fail that, a mk2 50/50. Depends on the tester tbh

THose fails are nothing for a car thats been off the road 7 years

Novasport
28-05-14, 06:06 PM
Side repeaters are required from 1987 onwards iirc

brucer
28-05-14, 09:04 PM
Nath, bring it over to me if it helps. I test over in kington.

Nutty Nova
29-05-14, 08:23 AM
They did mention it was something to do with standing at 100 yards from rear of car. Have it sorted now temp mirrors with indicators for MOT.
Cheers Bruce will let you know next time.

Some good news, headlights sorted, brakes now sorted, Indicators sorted

Just sills to repair and replace front wheel bearings so should be on the road next week :)