PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 will not idle

paul080803
27-05-14, 12:59 PM
Picked up a 1 owner, low mileage (25k) B reg 1.2 swing last week.

When driving the car it is fine if the choke is in, pulls well. When the choke it put and driving the car judders and will not accelerate.

However it will only idle with the choke out, when you put the choke in once warm it almost cuts out and judders or it does cut out. When the choke is out and you press the throttle pedal it takes a few seconds to respond, sounds like it is running on 3 cyl then clears and revs up.

Completely standard car, only did 155 miles last year between MOTs.

Any ideas what is wrong? All the plugs were sooted up from over fueling, but I put this down to running on choke all the time.

Not had any real experience with carb engines, any help appreciated!

craig green
27-05-14, 01:04 PM
Sounds like the carb needs a good clean out, failing that a setup by a good (carb) experienced garage.

get a Haynes manual & clean up the carb. Whats the air filter like?

paul080803
27-05-14, 01:12 PM
Sounds like the carb needs a good clean out, failing that a setup by a good (carb) experienced garage.

get a Haynes manual & clean up the carb. Whats the air filter like?

Air filter is not new, but seen worse. Got a new one on order. makes no difference with the filter in or out of the filter housing.

I have ordered a gasket set for the carb, and an inline fuel filter as the car doenst seem to have one!

If needs be I will strip and rebuild the carb myself and then take it to a garage for them to set it up.

88ESR
27-05-14, 01:13 PM
As above..

Dirt in the carb, blocked jet..

Whip it off and give it a good clean..

Dead easy..:)

paul080803
27-05-14, 01:18 PM
Ok, will take the carb off clean it all out and refit it with a new air filter and fuel filter.

conza123
27-05-14, 01:30 PM
If your unsure when they were last done it dont hurt to do plugs leads cap and rotor arm 2 ;)

paul080803
06-06-14, 04:22 PM
Sorted it today, there was no gasket between the carb and inlet manifold!!!!