PDA

View Full Version : OPEN DEBATE. does linconshire have the best driving roads in the country

turbojolt
24-05-14, 06:47 PM
I have been working a lot around Lincolnshire and they have some of the most fun roads I have ever driven on. including loads of single carriage ways which offer loads of overtaking fun! stunning wide open views everywhere you seem to go. loads of lovely little villages, some are other worldly like steeping back in time..

I have one or two pictures that I will upload later to stamp my point!

so that's my opinion what's your thoughts about the best driving areas/roads

Andy
24-05-14, 06:48 PM
it has the most fatal accident roads iirc.
silly long straights.
Yorkshire has the best

turbojolt
24-05-14, 06:54 PM
im not surprised to be honest I have had to wind it in and remind myself im in a transit not a sports car

Andy
24-05-14, 06:56 PM
Lol the hidden dips are the worst bits for danger.

Novaload_Nick
24-05-14, 06:56 PM
North Wales has some AMAZING roads, and I'm not just saying that because I live here lol search 'evo triangle' or YouTube it.

pottersrebel
24-05-14, 07:08 PM
agree with novaload had some wicked fun on the tight twisty roads of north wales on a recent holiday to porth madog, perfect road surface and not a pot hole in sight

Novaload_Nick
24-05-14, 07:12 PM
You must have visited black rock sands ^ I love driving there in the summer

novarally
24-05-14, 07:12 PM
I lived 7 years in Lincolnshire, and the roads are fast and deadly.

Deep 'dykes' on one or both sides of a lot of them, horrendous bumps in what look like flat roads, and potholes aplenty.

Yes, they are a lot of fun, but treat them with respect or they will bite you, hard.

bazil
24-05-14, 07:22 PM
To quote top gear

Jeremy starts the episode by looking at the latest Subaru Impreza & Mitsubishi Evo 8 – cars which only older people can afford to own and insure. To compare them, Jeremy takes them to the “Best driving country in the World” – Scotland.

pottersrebel
24-05-14, 07:26 PM
no mate, the wife wouldn't let me take her car out there lol she`s only had it 2 days before we went away

Novaload_Nick
24-05-14, 07:28 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10702367/The-UKs-best-driving-roads.html

http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com

phunkynova
24-05-14, 07:35 PM
The answer is NO by a long way, North Wales and Scotland and many other places are far better. You really need to travel around a bit more.

saloonwoody
24-05-14, 07:38 PM
theres some good "bits" of roads but most will try n kill you lol

Scottcooper85
24-05-14, 07:43 PM
A lot of people mentioning wales and Scotland which aren't in the country lol

Novaload_Nick
24-05-14, 07:46 PM
Some of the best roads in England are probably around the Lake District and Cumbria

mowgli
24-05-14, 07:51 PM
I'd like to mention the A515 from buxton down to the A50 near uttoxeter.... it is a fine piece of road & near you, and until the 1955 leMans crash, it would have been Britain's answer to the nurburgring, there was a plan to run grand prix races on it.

every county has some excellent roads, some better than others

I could certainly give you an 80 mile route round some of Leicestershire's finest roads that have no speed cameras...

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 08:00 PM
I drive a lot not as my job but getting to jobs must say north wales is still my roads of choice and they don't run wrc uk in Lincolnshire do they

_Jake
24-05-14, 08:03 PM
go to ireland if you want good roads tj

Nova00
24-05-14, 08:07 PM
surely wales has the best roads ............but also the best beach (Pendine Sands)

I drive a lot not as my job but getting to jobs must say north wales is still my roads of choice and they don't run wrc uk in Lincolnshire do they

mowgli
24-05-14, 08:09 PM
why drive a nova on a beach?? they can rust quite well enough without a visit to a place with loads of salt water

Andy
24-05-14, 08:12 PM
Oh well therefore they must be better then if wrc is there.......
And isnt that in south wales anyway? it certainly used to be?

mowgli
24-05-14, 08:18 PM
wrc is in south wales because they use the forestry tracks, not the tarmac...

by law, you are not allowed to run a vehicular speed event of any kind on the public highway on the mainland , unless a special act of parliament is implemented.

bazil
24-05-14, 08:20 PM
wrc is in south wales because they use the forestry tracks, not the tarmac...

by law, you are not allowed to run a vehicular speed event of any kind on the public highway on the mainland , unless a special act of parliament is implemented.

Pop quiz,
where are those acts of parliament in use every year for the only closed road rally in the uk?

bazil
24-05-14, 08:26 PM
Tbh I thought Lincolnshire was kinda flat and boring, honest im not biased lol
Pics of a day out in the great glen
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/gsi/Black%20gsi/photo2_zpsfd6de310.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/Bazil_2468/media/gsi/Black%20gsi/photo2_zpsfd6de310.jpg.html)

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 08:32 PM
Oh well therefore they must be better then if wrc is there.......
And isnt that in south wales anyway? it certainly used to be?

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/calendar/wales-2014/page/704--704-682-.html

There you go smarty pants !

O they don't go running on sh!t roads do they

dionbee
24-05-14, 08:33 PM
I Live in North Wales and to be totally honest i've never got bored of the roads we have.. Absolutely amazing!

( Do i sense a hint of a PNG meet? ;) )

Dion

Nova00
24-05-14, 08:41 PM
why drive a nova on a beach?? they can rust quite well enough without a visit to a place with loads of salt water

Off the subject of roads, but to clarify my earlier comment re Pendine Sands, rusting is the least of the worries. A little bit of history

To UK: RECORD-ATTEMPT RACING CAR EXHUMED FROM SAND 42 YEARS AFTER KILLING ITS DRIVER.
Story'BABS', THE MONSTER 27-LITRE RACING CAR CONDEMNED TO A SANDY GRAVE 42 YEARS AGO AFTER KILLING ITS DRIVER DURING AN ATTEMPT ON THE WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD, WAS EXHUMED TODAY. THE HUGE WHITE CAR IS TO BE RESTORED AT A COST OF SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING AS A PERMANENT MEMORIAL TO ITS DRIVER, WELSHMAN PARRY THOMAS.
THE LUMBERING 12-CYLINDER RACING GIANT WAS PART OF A HORRIFIC DEATHSCENE IN MARCH 1927, WHICH LEFT A LASTING BURIED THE BURNT-OUT WRECK IN THE SANDS, AND FOR MANY YEARS REFUSED TO DISCLOSED ITS WHEREABOUTS. THE SITE WAS EVENTUALLY SEALED WITH CONCRETE WHEN THE AREA BECAME AN ARMY WEAPONS RESEARCH CENTRE.
PARRY THOMAS DIED WHILE TRAVELLING AT ALMOST 180 MILES AN HOUR (288 KPH) IN A BID TO REGAIN THE WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD OF 174 MILES AN HOUR (280 KPH). HE HAD TWICE HELD THE RECORD BUT HAD LOST IT TO SIR HENRY SEGRAVE AND SIR MALCOLM CAMPBELL. HIS FINAL ATTEMPT ON THE RECORD HAS MADE IN AN IMPROVED 'BABS', WITH 12 CYLINDERS AND DRIVEN BY CHAINS.
AFTER TWO FAILURES, THOMAS WAS HALFWAY ACROSS THE SANDS ON A THIRD RUN WHEN THE DRIVE-CHAIN BROKE, SMASHED THROUGH THE WINDSCREEN AND DECAPITATED HIM. THE CAR SUMERSAULTED SEVERAL TIMES, BURST INTO FLAMES AND FINALLY RIGHTED ITSELF TO CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED YARDS (METRES). HORRIFIED VILLAGERS WATCHED THE BURNING WRECK WITH ONE WHEEL MISSING SLOWLY CIRCLING THE BEACH, WITH PARRY THOMAS SLUMPED OVER THE SIDE.
DESPITE LOCAL OPPOSITION, WELSH MOTORING HISTORIANS EARLY THIS MONTH WON A TWO-YEAR CAMPAIGN TO EXHUME THE CAR FROM ITS IGNOMINIOUS GRAVE. VOLUNTEERS SMASHED THROUGH CONCRETE SLABS AND DUG A DEEP PIT TO REVEAL THE CAR LYING ON ITS SIDE.
IT WAS STILL IN EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD CONDITION; ONE TYRE WAS STILL AT FULL PRESSURE AND THE WHEEL COULD BE SPUN; SOME OF THE DASHBOARD DIALS WERE STILL COVERED WITH THEIR ORIGINAL GLASS, AND ON THE SIDE OF THE CAR THE CAPITAL 'B' OF 'BABS' WAS JUST VISIBLE ON THE ALUMINIUM.
THE CAR WILL NOW BE REBUILT, BE GIVEN A NEW CHASSIS AND RETURNED TO A MOTOR MUSEUM AT PENDINE, WHERE THE 41-YEAR-OLD PARRY THOMAS IS BURIED.

(and there was a certain Campbell as well)

Peredur
24-05-14, 08:43 PM
Pop quiz,
where are those acts of parliament in use every year for the only closed road rally in the uk?

That'll be the Jim Clark then.. Which incidentally I'm co-driving on next weekend

However, my local patch of North-West Wales has cracking roads

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 08:44 PM
Said that to nick on his thread just recent dion I liked the drive near yours was good fun although the brakes on the van were a little cooked by the time I got onto some dual carriageway only second time that's happened firsts was over the top of lake vyrnwy also in wales near Bala late around 1 am flat out over the moors fully laden and no breaks all the way down the bala side great fun

Andy
24-05-14, 08:47 PM
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/calendar/wales-2014/page/704--704-682-.html

There you go smarty pants !

O they don't go running on sh!t roads do they

Well theres no map there.
And theres no evidence of "better" roads.
Its a matter of opinion.is all.

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 08:49 PM
Yep my opinion matters !

Andy
24-05-14, 08:50 PM
Aye.
Legend in your own mind? lol

bazil
24-05-14, 08:51 PM
That'll be the Jim Clark then.. Which incidentally I'm co-driving on next weekend

However, my local patch of North-West Wales has cracking roads

Well done that man! Enjoy :)

Dunno what the story is with the tour of mull?

Andy
24-05-14, 08:53 PM
jim clark....theres a roger albert clark rally too isnt there?

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 08:54 PM
Aye.
Legend in your own mind? lol

i think so but that's my opinion obovs

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 09:46 PM
http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com

turbojolt
24-05-14, 09:47 PM
must be wrong in the head but I enjoy the massive dikes and streams with in a meter of the road makes me fill a sense of accomplishment when I haven't gone down one lol

dgbnova#1
24-05-14, 09:53 PM
I enjoy massive dikes when I haven't gone down lol
lol

turbojolt
24-05-14, 09:56 PM
lmfao!!!!

turbojolt
24-05-14, 10:02 PM
I think the east midlands offers loads of brilliant driving routes. the rutlands also has brilliant views when driving around

AndrewC
25-05-14, 09:19 AM
Got to say its North Wales for me. For many years I enjoyed the drive to my girlfriends (now wife) in Denbigh from Stafford A51 then A525. Even in a 998cc Mini it was magic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgbnova#1
25-05-14, 09:49 AM
I think most of the road to and around Denby are good fun

ellis_12345
25-05-14, 08:56 PM
i'd say shropshire, some fantastic windey roads in the middle of nowhere

Mike
25-05-14, 09:13 PM
The answer is NO by a long way, North Wales and Scotland and many other places are far better. You really need to travel around a bit more.

This^

Ive been all over the UK by car, literally ALL OVER. There are some bloody amazing roads about... A458 in mid wales heading out of Welshpool towards the coast, or the A494 through Bala for example, or the moor road A171 from Guisborough out to Whitby etc. Cat & Fiddle in Cheshire before the cameras were installed etc.

Ive driven the Triangle countless times, its ok I suppose. Depends how big your balls are & what car your in to be fiar.

dgbnova#1
25-05-14, 09:53 PM
I do the a494 most weekends when I can great road from Buckley right through to Bala and then past the lake

if you go left just as you go into Bala it takes you up to the moors and back to Welshpool scary at night flat out

ellis_12345
26-05-14, 12:35 AM
This^

Ive been all over the UK by car, literally ALL OVER. There are some bloody amazing roads about... A458 in mid wales heading out of Welshpool towards the coast, or the A494 through Bala for example, or the moor road A171 from Guisborough out to Whitby etc. Cat & Fiddle in Cheshire before the cameras were installed etc.

Ive driven the Triangle countless times, its ok I suppose. Depends how big your balls are & what car your in to be fiar.

this^ lol

i travel the a458 everyday to work, only stourbridge to bridgnorth mind, but any further than bridgnorth the roads are great. (still standing by my shropshire comment tho :d)

mk1nova_rich
26-05-14, 05:50 PM
Pretty much the whole of North Yorkshire, and across into Cumbria. Then either south to Wales or north to Scotland...pretty much anywhere thats near nowhere and has hills lol