PDA

View Full Version : Equal Length Driveshafts, Again... :)

r.wadge
20-05-14, 11:16 PM
Ive read a few posts but i want to make sure... :)

Am i correct thinking a equal length shaft setup will fit directly into my F28 and big hubs.
The car as is (C20XE/F20) has the ends of the shafts poking a few mil out of the center caps, so these wernt designed for the nova...
So will the equal length shafts just fit/look the same as it does now?? With the option of cutting down the ends a bit for tidyness?

Cheers

Johnny A
21-05-14, 11:01 AM
yes... to all

Iain
21-05-14, 11:17 AM
A Cav/Cally equal length setup won't bolt straight on, you'd need the equal shaft and Nova conversion long shaft.

It's the end of the CV poking out the centrecap, not the shaft, which can be trimmed if necessary.

r.wadge
21-05-14, 11:40 PM
Cheers for the replys.
Please bare with me ive only just got my head round building the engine lol
Heres what ive got,
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a576/r_wadge/_12_zpsf4e76ca8.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/r_wadge/media/_12_zpsf4e76ca8.jpg.html)
So instead of getting new shafts cant i just get the current ones cut? If so can someone point out where they need cutting and by how much.
And arent the current shafts i was using with the f20 standard cav/cally shafts which are the same total length?
The guy who sold them to me said they would fit straight onto a corsa, and i would just have to move a clip... I know he just wanted the cash but i didnt think id have to buy more shafts to get it to fit :/

Cheers guys, i might get there one day :)

dgbnova#1
22-05-14, 12:20 AM
The shaft with the bracket/support will be fine the shafts will be to long for a Corsa I'm not sure if you can re grove the shafts for the clips to make them shorter or just get shorter shafts

the cvs will be fine if your useing conversion hubs

r.wadge
22-05-14, 12:25 AM
Cheers mate,
He said they would already fit onto a corsa. Im trying to get into a nova GTE. So the passenger side shaft should be the same size as the one in my f20?
Would it just be a matter of cut the grrove to slide the clip down a bit to effectively shorten the shaft, or i can just get the shorter shaft between the bracket shaft and CV?
Thanks again

dgbnova#1
22-05-14, 12:30 AM
If you ran an f20 in the nova the passanger side shaft is the same

the drivers side you will need to get a new shaft

r.wadge
22-05-14, 12:39 AM
I see, as you can tell im a bit of noob.
Wouldnt the split shaft have the same total length as the long shaft i currently have in the f20? I dont even know what the shafts for the f20 came off.. but none are conversion shafts as fas as i know, is this why the CV sticks out the center cap?
Cheers for putting up with me :)

dgbnova#1
22-05-14, 06:46 AM
Nob ? lol think novice bit less harsh if you don't know you don't know take some pics of your hubs the splines in the centre

Are you running f28 or f20 as you list both

Scottcooper85
22-05-14, 06:53 AM
Get a pair of equal length nova driveshafts from lmf or griffin autosport to match the bearing half shaft and big block cv's. The easiest way to shorten the above would surely be to cut in the middle and sleeve back together, but no where near as good as purpose made shafts.

r.wadge
22-05-14, 09:53 AM
Cheers again for the replies.
Was a nova GTE running a XE on a F20, the whole conversion was a bit rushed so ive now ripped the lot out and building a LET with F28 and diff. Looking to get round 300-350hp running emerald ecu so im gna need solid shafts. I was told the shafts above are uprated and were used on a corsa LET.
Heres a pic of what I ripped out if it helps, I cant get the CV out until ive got a bigger socket lol
I will get the LMF shorter shaft if I have to but if I can do it by chopping and cutting for under a ton ill go with cheaper option.
I saw the shafts in the above post and just jumped on them after I was told I could use them, but it was worth the bracket/bearing shaft if the shafts are no good.
Not sure if the ones shown on the above picture are uprated, maybe you guys would know by looking? Ive only ever seen my ones :)
If there not looks like im spending the cash on two new solid shafts..
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a576/r_wadge/PTDC0112_zpsb685d16a.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/r_wadge/media/PTDC0112_zpsb685d16a.jpg.html)

Scottcooper85
22-05-14, 10:09 AM
I think the equal conversion shaft would only be around £70 a side.

r.wadge
22-05-14, 10:13 AM
£90 for short one, £80 for the other, plus p+p from LMF. Any one got contact info for griffin, from what I can recall from other threads they might be a bit cheaper.
Thanks again

Iain
22-05-14, 10:17 AM
I think you can move the CV circlip groove on a Cav/cally shaft to effectively shorten it for use on a Corsa. Doesn't work for a Nova though.

Best off removing both the end shafts and measuring them, then getting measurements of some purpose built Nova ones from a member off here or someone who sells them. If they're longer, not worth faffing about modifying them just buy the proper shafts.

r.wadge
22-05-14, 10:34 AM
Cheers Iain.

Think im going to get some new ones, is a decent spec build so better off not skipping on decent shafts. The wallet keeps coming out for this build, and its going to have to come out a few more times yet.
We all love to save a penny where we can though :)

Thanks again to all that have helped.