PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car with a private reg on

L33 LEG
17-05-14, 06:41 PM
I've seen a car that I'm about to agree to do an exchange with but I have the hassle of taking my reg off.

What's the best way of doing this without putting it on retention and waiting weeks for the logbook.

I want it to be 100% safe so I've no way of losing my reg. Is it possible to sign the stuff over and swap cars at the same time? What have other people done in the past?

dgbnova#1
17-05-14, 06:49 PM
Last time I helped do this took the details of both cars to local office Chester for me and they did it there and then

L33 LEG
17-05-14, 06:59 PM
So if we can find a local dvla office and they can guarantee it? That's not too bad. He's 215 miles away so can meet anywhere in the midlands so must be an office somewhere. My local one has closed now which delays things even more.

L33 LEG
17-05-14, 07:05 PM
Looks like all dvla offices have closed down! That's put a stop to that idea.

dgbnova#1
17-05-14, 07:06 PM
Yes think Chester is closed I would contact dvla direct but prob quickest way is to put on re tension and you know it's safe then

Royston
17-05-14, 07:12 PM
All local offices closed last year you have to deal with Swansea direct.....................

L33 LEG
17-05-14, 07:15 PM
I didn't realise all the offices were closing, what a pain lol

Yes it seems the safest way is to get it on retention and just wait the few weeks for the new logbook to come.

Thanks guys.