16-05-14, 11:01 PM
MGF..

Anyone ever owned one?

Southie
16-05-14, 11:05 PM
ooof, why do you ask?

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:10 PM
Wellllll, there's an early one going for about 4p round here (well not quite 4p, maybe a quid, but you get the idea)..

I worked on one or two very briefly before I left the dealership, so apart from the legendary head gasket failures, I don't have a lot of knowledge of them..

I'm probably just bored as I know I must get my finger out soon and pick up another Nova since I'm down to my last Fiat... lol

Southie
16-05-14, 11:17 PM
Last fiat, please be a strada tc ;)

I'd rather have a mx5 of the same year tbh than a mfg.

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:23 PM
(Whispers...Panda)..

Seems like half the world owns an MX-5, whereas you hardly see an MGF now..

Probably for a good reason (or 10)..

When the MGF was first released, we bought a brand new one from a 17 year-old kid who won it in a competition and couldn't afford to insure it...

I don't think he bought a Vauxhall from us though...

Anyway, the MGF was just an idea to fall back on...

Southie
16-05-14, 11:26 PM
Probably ten a penny tbh with the mx5 being favourite. Are parts easy to get on the MGFs still then? Standard rover???

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:29 PM
Parts seem easy to source (Rimmer and XParts)..

Think the MGF was basically a parts bin raid anyway..

Plus there are loads in the breakers yards..

Might be a fun project (well maybe 'fun' might not be the right word)..

Southie
16-05-14, 11:33 PM
Rover... money... fun more like, tbh if your wanting a cheap toy and it's good history on the one you buy then why not but it's literally just going to be to rag around motor for a bit until it breaks, and the gaskets implode as you know lol

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:37 PM
I'll keep it in mind but like I said, I was just throwing ideas up in the air..

I'm away at the end of the month then I'm going to start looking for a suitable Nova...

...probably lol

Southie
16-05-14, 11:42 PM
Suitable... No such thing lol It's a passion and you should know by now.

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:45 PM
Suitable... No such thing lol It's a passion and you should know by now.

You're probably right..lol

dgbnova#1
16-05-14, 11:47 PM
I'll keep it in mind but like I said, I was just throwing ideas up in the air..

I'm away at the end of the month then I'm going to start looking for a suitable Nova...

...probably lol

Are you learning to weld ? ????????????

That's what Novas are suitable for lol

novacabrio
16-05-14, 11:51 PM
Not read all the replies but they're cheap fun if you find a good one, but if you look at the technical details, K series engine, Metro hydrolastic suspension and other items..... Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

im sure Royston had one?

Southie
16-05-14, 11:58 PM
I could be wrong but I think Royston bought one though a few years back and actually enjoyed them.

edit: missed the above post.

88ESR
16-05-14, 11:58 PM
Not read all the replies but they're cheap fun if you find a good one, but if you look at the technical details, K series engine, Metro hydrolastic suspension and other items..... Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

im sure Royston had one?

Yes the later ones (TF) adopted conventional suspension but of course don't come along for pennies...

mowgli
17-05-14, 12:11 AM
well, as you can fit all sorts of engines into a mini using modified 100 series(later metro) subframes, and the mgf rear end is basically a later metro setup, I'd imagine it would be an excellent basis for some large engine fitting type tuning.....

so when the engine dies, junk the k series & fit something much bigger/more powerful

Novasport
17-05-14, 06:46 AM
Royston is your man. He currently has one and also worked on development of some of the components

88ESR
17-05-14, 06:57 AM
Royston is your man. He currently has one and also worked on development of some of the components

:thumb:

Royston
17-05-14, 07:18 AM
Yes I have an early VVC, great fun to drive, have K series head gasket issues, but if its been done (properly) they are fine.

The head gaskets are easy to do (bit tighter in an F/TF) I have done 3.

Head light reflectors deterioiate on F's

F's with hydroelastic suspension ride better that TF's with conventional springs. You takes your money and makes your choice!

They were/are at rock bottom but I am noticing prices are beginning to rise

My VVC goes well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/IMG-20130818-00439_zpsd935b10b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/IMG-20130330-00184_zpsc475518d.jpg

If you need any more info get in touch, mines resting this year as I'm getting the Sport out this year

88ESR
17-05-14, 07:22 AM
Cheers Royston, will do..

That's a lovely car you have... :thumb:

Royston
17-05-14, 07:34 AM
Cheers Royston, will do..

That's a lovely car you have... :thumb:

Not the best example, but solid enough, £397 on ebay with a No plate valued ay £400 (P33 VVC) spent a little on her

Was an MOT fail and a few niggly jobs

Front wishbones (common to rust through) @ £47-£70 each
Fitted new brake discs/pads
Track rod end
Bought replacement wheels/tyres and a better interior

Great fun to chuck through bends, but they are a handful in slippery/wet conditions due to mid engine, can catch people out (Lotus Elise are even worse)

Used mine last year as a commuter when weather was fine, has a good amount of pace.

2nd hand parts are cheap

They are underated and prices will only go one way for a good one!

88ESR
17-05-14, 08:39 AM
I do expect the prices to rise sharply in the near future as I read recently that they have been scrapped in very large numbers in the past year or so....

Mike
17-05-14, 09:51 AM
Friend of mine had one, when it worked it was good fun actually.

Biggest issue he had was the metal clips that hold the engine loom in perished, it sags down, caught up in the engine fan, ét voila, spaghetti.

Other then that they were made in Birmigham so kinda says it all lol lol

saloonwoody
17-05-14, 11:24 AM
had the later tf a while back , fun little car , didn't give me any problems while I owned it ?

burgo
18-05-14, 08:19 AM
NO!!!

They are ****ing ****e, I look after two for someone and they are not worth the hassle. Get a mk2 mr2 instead

88ESR
18-05-14, 01:03 PM
NO!!!

They are ****ing ****e, I look after two for someone and they are not worth the hassle. Get a mk2 mr2 instead

That's me told then... lol

turbojolt
18-05-14, 02:08 PM
get a mk1 mx5 proper fun cars i miss abusing mine :(