PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter how many miles a newer car had done

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 08:25 PM
Hello

basically been helping my mum go car shopping because she is no longer getting her company cars. We went to go look at a bmw 525d m sport with 120.000 miles on the clock. As far as I was concerned it was a solid car for a solid price full service history with all the major components been replaced already ( less work for me lol)

We were both happy with the car but since then she's spoken to some of the other family members and hey all say mileage is way to high !! Even though cars like this are designed to do stupid amounts of miles.

This eventually boiled down to me being an idiot Appetntly

What do you guys think ??

EwanG
16-05-14, 08:31 PM
What age and what has been replaced? Turbo/clutch?

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 08:44 PM
56 plate

turbo, dpf been replaced

it's an auto but the box had been serviced 3 times. Minor service every 30k aswell

Stuart
16-05-14, 09:06 PM
Just be sure you want the m sport suspension.... Its fecking hard.

for a 56 plate that's only a shade over average IMHO, also depends on the type of miles. But generally modern cars are capable of the distance

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 09:27 PM
She's going from an A class amg spec (company car) and the suspension is shockingly hard I won't even go down the road in it because for some reason it hurts my ****, no homo

did have the m sport suspension seemed hard but not to harsh IMO :)

Benn
16-05-14, 09:33 PM
Imo as long as it's been looked after, serviced then i think miles means bugger all.

Riggy
16-05-14, 09:40 PM
Yeah miles are nothing on these , my 530d is on 128k now , I got it on 101k

Auto box fluid is a £450 job and needs new sump etc , if that's been done you laughing for another 80k

Crank pulley separates from rubber middle , new pulley is £300 but not a massive job

And thermostats don't last long , £90 for both from bm fitting isn't too hard neither

Other then that just remove swirl flaps and you won't have any more probs engine wise :)

You may have shocks and control arms as I have just had to do mine at 125k

Riggy
16-05-14, 09:47 PM
Forgot to put , turbo breather filter , it will prob have the old paper type on that year , make sure it's either changed reg or to the newer vortex filter , you will kill your new turbo if not :(

joshy
16-05-14, 09:51 PM
My 01' Jeep Cherokee has 150k on the clock and runs like a champ so i would hope ze Germans have done better

Seriously tho, as long as they have been looked after then all is well, you can kill any car with cheap or no servicing

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 09:56 PM
Yeah miles are nothing on these , my 530d is on 128k now , I got it on 101k

Auto box fluid is a £450 job and needs new sump etc , if that's been done you laughing for another 80k

Crank pulley separates from rubber middle , new pulley is £300 but not a massive job

And thermostats don't last long , £90 for both from bm fitting isn't too hard neither

Other then that just remove swirl flaps and you won't have any more probs engine wise :)

You may have shocks and control arms as I have just had to do mine at 125k

Forgot to put , turbo breather filter , it will prob have the old paper type on that year , make sure it's either changed reg or to the newer vortex filter , you will kill your new turbo if not :(

How often does the chain have to be changed (if at all) I don't have access to autodata all the time

Chay84
16-05-14, 10:19 PM
Chains dont need changed the 320d with the n47 have problems with the chain snapping but dont think the 525/325d have this issue, I have a 320d m sport the suspension is ok once you change tyres to non run flats,

I haven't removed my swirl flats yet its a 320d 57 plate with the m47 engine im not sure these are affected with swirl flap failure

mine has done 70k but have seen load with 150k plus still going strong just make sure it has fsh and nothing is missed out great mile munching engines in the bmw diesel range

Stuart
16-05-14, 10:24 PM
Watch for leaking oil caps /leaking crank vent seals.... Mine had that which was irritating to say the least

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 10:27 PM
Yea this ones a 525d and my bmw friend said the engines are bulletproof, so much so they moved the chain to behind the engine ??

I was was going get her some boggo standard wheels with winter tyres for winter. And get rid of the run flats there rubbish anyway IMO

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 10:28 PM
Watch for leaking oil caps /leaking crank vent seals.... Mine had that which was irritating to say the least

Yea ear there's seems to be evidence of an old oil leak but with the engine cover can't really see where it's coming from. But he said he was going get it cleaned and then see where it's coming from

Stuart
16-05-14, 10:28 PM
I don't dislike the runflats on my one series.... Sure I'll get normals once they need replacing as they cost too much lol
if she's not doing mad miles or hard on the car she could run winters year round.

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 10:29 PM
Sorry about spelling/ punctuation I hate this bloody iPhone

Mike
16-05-14, 10:31 PM
In a nutshell, not it doesn't.

If high miles on modern (post 2002ish) german dervs were such a big issue, they wouldn't fetch the kinda prices they still sell for would they.

Novasport
16-05-14, 10:34 PM
The early 525d was not the best TBH, the 530d is far better and will give better MPG.

Chay84
16-05-14, 10:40 PM
My friend just picked up a320d 07 m sport with 100k from the auctions for under 5k cracking motor for the price

Failed egr and coolant thermostat cause engine to run cool and drastically affect mpg

Marcusgeorge
16-05-14, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately she needs the finance to be able to buy it so an auction isn't possible even though I would prefer that :)

deneil_gsi2000
17-05-14, 07:02 AM
A mate of mine has a 57 plate 525d with 270k on it and its like a new car to drive. As long as there cared for theyll go forever.

Novasport
17-05-14, 07:04 AM
What about a 730d? They are the bargain of the century and cheaper than you think to run.

Marcusgeorge
17-05-14, 09:24 AM
This is what I said the mileage means F*^% all these days.

And nd she already thinks the 5 is a little to big I couldn't suggest a 7 series to her lol

Bubba
17-05-14, 10:22 PM
i didnt batter an eyelid when i bought my e39 530d on 240k. there were a lot of service stamps, reciepts etc.

still failed its MOT lol damn subframe bushes