PDA

View Full Version : painting help

millworm
11-05-14, 08:40 PM
I know some of you on here are painters so would like some help, I've got a set of bumpers for the nova that need paint (satin black) nothing special and would like to do it myself. I did do the back one but it peeled in a matter of weeks and now looks crap. I used plastic primer too. I think there may have been residue of bumper treatment on there like what you use to bring back the colour. so what is the best way top go about it now? cheers

Novasport
11-05-14, 08:59 PM
I am not a painter but would say you need to degrease it and then use some kind of prep cleaner. I have some Betalink plastic cleaner in the garage I use before painting.
I would use some type of Scotchbrite to key the plastic before the primer goes on.

millworm
11-05-14, 09:17 PM
right, can degrease it at work and then maybe some brake cleaner for good measure?

dgbnova#1
11-05-14, 09:20 PM
You can get Pannel wipe to proper de grease it but sure a proper painter will see this and point in the correct direction

Nick J
11-05-14, 09:33 PM
Ideally you need to clean the bumpers with a correct panel wipe suitable for plastics then scotch them down before re cleaning then plastic prime and paint. However as I found out a few years back the older bumper tend to hold release agent so I did all the above only for it to peel like a banana skin! This was cured by removing all paint then baking the bumpers to remove all release agent before repeating the process. Had no problems the second time! Just a heads up too.... Don't use brake cleaner It will probably melt old plastics like those as the solvent content will be too strong.

Nick.

millworm
11-05-14, 09:44 PM
cheers guys

mowgli
11-05-14, 10:22 PM
clean them a lot. then get them warm before trying to paint them