PDA

View Full Version : Weber question

bighed
04-05-14, 09:03 PM
I've just bought a webber carb. Think its 32 / 36. I thought I could make an adaptor to fit it to my mk1 astra manifold but it doesn't look like I can.

I've been told that the astra manifold is bigger and better for more power but it's looking like I might have to fit a 1.3 nova SR manifold. Looking at the stats an 1.3.SR nova is 70bhp standard and a 1.3S astra is 75. Does anyone know why? Surely the 5bhp isn't from the bigger manifold?

garyc
04-05-14, 09:51 PM
There are two replacement kits for the mk1 Astra. A single choke dellorto or weber dmtl. For a road car I wouldn't waste time developing something else.....,

mowgli
04-05-14, 10:38 PM
the gm varajet II carb is the main difference. it is more than adequate for the job of powering a 1300s engine. don't be fooled into thinking that a weber carb is an immediate performance improvement. ok, on a ford, replacing the vv carb with pretty much anything will make it faster...

jimbob-mcgrew
04-05-14, 11:26 PM
i think the mk1 astra manifold has the same fitments, it just has longer intake tubes for increased torque.
I think it takes the same 2e carburettor, so don't see why you cant get an adaptor plate for it, like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Weber-Carburettor-Adaptor-Plate-For-Vauxhall-2E-Pierbug-Manifold-Autograss-Race-/00/s/NzIwWDk2MA==/z/f64AAOxy14VRUDRG/$T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F0nnBRUDRFv4t!~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Weber-Carburettor-Adaptor-Plate-For-Vauxhall-2E-Pierbug-Manifold-Autograss-Race-/00/s/NzIwWDk2MA==/z/eroAAMXQMmJRUDRL/$T2eC16d,!zQE9s3stYU9BRUDRLN!fw~~60_1.JPG

dgbnova#1
05-05-14, 06:34 AM
i think the mk1 astra manifold has the same fitments, it just has longer intake tubes for increased torque.
I think it takes the same 2e carburettor, so don't see why you cant get an adaptor plate for it, like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Weber-Carburettor-Adaptor-Plate-For-Vauxhall-2E-Pierbug-Manifold-Autograss-Race-/00/s/NzIwWDk2MA==/z/f64AAOxy14VRUDRG/$T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F0nnBRUDRFv4t!~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Weber-Carburettor-Adaptor-Plate-For-Vauxhall-2E-Pierbug-Manifold-Autograss-Race-/00/s/NzIwWDk2MA==/z/eroAAMXQMmJRUDRL/$T2eC16d,!zQE9s3stYU9BRUDRLN!fw~~60_1.JPG

exactly that above had the same setup myself in the past

bighed
05-05-14, 09:58 AM
That seems to be for a pierburg carb as my varajet 2 has 4 holes and not 3. My varajet was playing up which is why I got the weber as a replacement.

I'm also fitting a kent cam, adjustable vernier which I already have, then a 4 branch manifold when I come accross one. So either way I should see a gain in bhp after a rolling road session and a good tune. Hmmmm. What to do lol

bighed
05-05-14, 10:52 AM
Next quick question. This carb seems to have no choke? Now it's come off an auto grass nova and apparently they remove chokes for max airflow? On my varajet2 I had a manual choke, but also there was 2 coolant pipes attached. Not thought about it until now but isn't that for auto choke?

Ok, this weber has got 2 pipes on the side but they both show flow out of it. One is blocked off. And ideas? I also can't see where coolant would enter the carb?

dgbnova#1
05-05-14, 11:47 AM
Sounds like it's not suitable for road use a grasser will just sit till it's warm with his foot on the pedal the start and go on the track don't even run rads on most of them just a steam tank so think you prob better with something else

bighed
05-05-14, 02:02 PM
I've had a good look but can't see where the choke would of come off from.

dgbnova#1
05-05-14, 02:55 PM
Put pics up of the thing sides and top it's prob cammed of something else tbh been a long time since I looked at one mine had a poseing cog teeth iirc the choke was cable operated

mowgli
05-05-14, 04:24 PM
just what is wrong with the varajetII carb that should have come with the car??

garyc
07-05-14, 07:40 PM
I have just binned 5 sets of choke mechanisms. There will be no water going through the carb, just the inlet manifold. The blocked off holes are probably just vents to the standard air box.

i had to laugh at the comment that grassers don't use radiators, just a steam box!

bighed
07-05-14, 08:58 PM
Lol. I dunno. There is 2 pipes on the back of my varajet that had coolant come from them when I took them off

dgbnova#1
07-05-14, 09:29 PM
Lol. I dunno. There is 2 pipes on the back of my varajet that had coolant come from them when I took them off
The 2 pipes just connect them toghether if the webber has no facility to connect

dgbnova#1
07-05-14, 09:31 PM
I have just binned 5 sets of choke mechanisms. There will be no water going through the carb, just the inlet manifold. The blocked off holes are probably just vents to the standard air box.

i had to laugh at the comment that grassers don't use radiators, just a steam box!

It was a little flippant tbh but I'm talking grass track (so banger racing) not auto grass lol