PDA

View Full Version : Are there some BMW techs here? (I'm sure there are)... Poxy M47 rattler engine

Stuart
28-04-14, 04:58 PM
Got an M47'd 120D on a 56 plate. Its not used/lost a drop of oil in 9 months and then between late Feb and now its lost 0.75L of oil through a top end leak. I stripped what felt like the whole engine bay out to get to the PCV filter and the normal air filter etc, the PCV has the new vortex type thing and the air filter was fairly fine. What botehred me was the pool of oil round the injectors and lots round the oil cap.

There is no smoke coming from the engine (well no burnt engine oil smoke), the turbo has no play and everything else is as fine as it gets. Could it simply be the PCV seals failing and maybe a duff oil filler cap?
There isnt any excess crank pressure that I can determine.

Poobrown
29-04-14, 10:31 PM
Could be breather valve seals , but could also could be from the rocker box, blocked breathers on these can cause pressurisation and I turn excess oil in the inlet track so is it possible your leak has come down from the inlet or is the inlet dry? My advise would be to get everything spotless and then monitor very closely to pin point the leak. Check your cap over but there just a huge rubber gasket type seal iirc so would be pretty obvious if it's knackered

Stuart
29-04-14, 11:26 PM
Got new seals coming for the pcv filter.

cant tell if the inlet is dry or not without some major parts removal (that I can see) but the turbo I take hose only had a thin film of oil on it which is fairly normal and didn't cause alarm.

Poobrown
30-04-14, 07:36 AM
Fingers crossed that's your issued coz rocker gasket is a bit of a pain on the **** lol

Stuart
30-04-14, 12:52 PM
if its that, it gets a jet wash and traded in lol

Alex J
01-05-14, 07:49 AM
if its that, it gets a jet wash and traded in lollol