PDA

View Full Version : Fitting fibreglass wings

stt
24-04-14, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have a guide on how best to fit fibreglass wings?
the old wide arch ones fitted straight on but the new normal shape ones don't seem to fit as the angle of the front panel doesn't seem to fit the angle of the inner wing

by that I mean if I align it using the top bit the front panel sits about 1 inch further forward than it should

if I align the front edge with the front panel the edge near the windscreen is about 3 inches higher than the inner wing

dgbnova#1
24-04-14, 08:28 PM
That's some big sizes there prob best put some photos up but does not sound remotely correct to me should just put bonnet on line wings with that like any other Panel I'd think

stt
24-04-14, 08:29 PM
I'm at the farm again tomorrow so I'll get some pics!

dgbnova#1
24-04-14, 08:41 PM
We're did they come from the wings ?

8valve-craig
26-04-14, 06:50 PM
If they are from where mine are from then all I can say is good luck. It took me days and they still fit like crap.

Hardly worth the hassle.

When supplied they are not the correct shape, only bolting them on in sequence gets them into the correct shape so once on the car they are taught. If yours are too long, that's probably because they need to bow outwards in the middle, away from the tyre. Only bolting them on bit by bit will achieve that. Start with one bolt along the bonnet shut, then do the sill, then under the headlight and see if that helps

Hope that makes sense.

BRoadGhost
26-04-14, 08:20 PM
Heh; I've got all this to come!

dgbnova#1
26-04-14, 10:18 PM
If they are from where mine are from then all I can say is good luck. It took me days and they still fit like crap.

Hardly worth the hassle.

When supplied they are not the correct shape, only bolting them on in sequence gets them into the correct shape so once on the car they are taught. If yours are too long, that's probably because they need to bow outwards in the middle, away from the tyre. Only bolting them on bit by bit will achieve that. Start with one bolt along the bonnet shut, then do the sill, then under the headlight and see if that helps

Hope that makes sense.

What a ball ake that sounds I'd expect them to be better than that I'm sure the ones of cm composites are not like that well they look fine fitted from what I've seen u take it there not from Chris ?

stt
28-04-14, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Yku9hbq.png
http://i.imgur.com/WuL95CH.jpg

im hoping you're right craig

Not going to comment on where they came from (yet) but my guess would be that the mould wasn't made from a wing mounted to a car (or at least held in the right shape.
my wide arch ones which I'm not using fit really well.
mines never going to be a show car as long as I can get wings fitted and the quad light grill in ill be happy! - right up until I put it in its first hedge lol!

stt
28-04-14, 08:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uk6v3Az.jpg
thats the only pic I have with the wide arch wings

BRoadGhost
28-04-14, 08:29 PM
At least now at night you'll see the ditch coming

stt
28-04-14, 08:36 PM
That's the plan! The cars going to be used for night scatters ( road rallies with less rules!) so there will undoubtedly be moments where my talent runs out!

jonn
28-04-14, 08:50 PM
mine took a good bit of work to get right but worth it.
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/DSCN1349.jpg

paul james
28-04-14, 08:51 PM
With the mk1 fibreglass wings I have, where they bolt to the car at the bottom, next to the door corner, I ended up using long bolts and several nuts between the wing and car to space them out.

Southie
28-04-14, 09:07 PM
The panel fits will all be down to wether they're wet lay or prepreg for fitment IMO. Prepreg will always be better than a wet lay.

bazzap8389
28-04-14, 09:19 PM
I hope mine go on problem free lol

8valve-craig
28-04-14, 10:19 PM
With the mk1 fibreglass wings I have, where they bolt to the car at the bottom, next to the door corner, I ended up using long bolts and several nuts between the wing and car to space them out.

I made these.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/image_zpsba737e80.jpg

stt
28-04-14, 10:34 PM
I'm going to steal that idea!

dgbnova#1
28-04-14, 10:50 PM
I assumed they would have the door shut part made also but did see yours Craig and wondered why it was like that but it came like that ? The supports are a great idea id still bond them to the wing if it was me

brainsnova
28-04-14, 11:53 PM
Did anyone else spot the small dog trying to get out the drain hole in craigs pic lol

jeremy fisher
29-04-14, 05:55 PM
Thinking of getting some of these myself. Are these not so great ones not from CM Composites then? Are the ones from him a good fit?
(sorry if I'm hijacking) Also, why are the wee brackets in Craigs pic required? Am I missing something?

dgbnova#1
29-04-14, 06:04 PM
On Craig's that splash guard with the 2 bolt from the inside of the car is not there on the wing I don't know why that is tbh but it's not so the brackets make the Pannel Line up with the door

stt
29-04-14, 10:05 PM
My wings have no return on them exactly the same as craigs
My wings were from Chris on here.
having had another look I'm sure they will fit - just with a lot more buggering about than I wanted

jeremy fisher
30-04-14, 12:46 PM
Well I was expecting to have to do a bit of fettling. Wouldn't expect to need custom brackets to get them to fit though. This normal with composite panels for Novas then?