PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Having a car dilemma...

limpstar
21-04-14, 08:28 PM
I'll keep this as basic as I can... (It is a ramble though!)

I have had the pleasure of owning my Corsa GSi (C16XE) for the past 5 years now.
This car is my daily runner, and has never missed a beat, has been by far the most reliable car I've ever owned, and also despite the long list of cars I've owned (bigger, faster, smaller, slower) it has also been the most fun I've ever had with a car that I have owned.
So... you can kind of tell I am very much attached to it. It has not only been the longest I've owned a car, but it has some very personal sentimental value tied into it aswell.
Now, the issues are...
It's a 20yr old car. Things are starting to show signs of its age, and will need replacing. I'm not a mechanic, nor am I very good with that side of things, so an overhaul of essentials will have to be taken out by a garage. Obviously, this may prove costly.

Recently, I've noticed when I am pulling away from standstill, a large puff of blue smoke is appearing... this has only come around in the past few weeks, but I am sceptical as to whether alarm bells should be ringing or not? Is it a biggy? Will it cost 3 figures to sort? Is it worth the investment?

The car has done 122k. Despite that, the car has had regular servicing, ever 7-9k during my ownership (I am the 3rd owner) and as mentioned, it has never missed a beat.

The car is Carabic Blue, fair enough, not to everyones taste, but even so, it has been an absolute ar5e ache to try and obtain some matching paint in order to repair and refresh some panels. The car could do with a 'blow over', due to the odd surface scratch, and stone chip. The area around the rear wiper has rust, and has bubbled the paint work, there is a bubble on the lower passenger door, and above the passenger wheel arch. All of this will need tending to by a bodyshop - more £'s.

The car is due for its MOT in May. The tax is up at the end of this month (April) so those 2 things are going to cost money as standard...

I think the issue is coming down to personal preference... I love the car to bits, but is it going to be a burden keeping it, especially with the fact I have little mechanical and bodyshop experience? Would it be a better idea to invest in it to make sure it is road legal & suitable to be driven away by a new owner, someone who can fix all of the above issues?
Or... rent out a garage, take it off the road, and work on it myself? Turn it into a project?
Or... Pay those who have the expertise to restore it to its former glory?
If I restore it to its former glory, should I modify it? Inlet manifold? 20xe injectors? Throttle Bodies? Or keep it as its completely standard self?
Should I get coilovers? Deck it? banded steels?

All of these things are in the snowy flurry inside my head.

Have I left it too late? Is this car desirable anymore? Is it worth it?

That's what I'm asking - What would you do in this situation if it were your car?

Any replies much appreciated :) Oh, and please be nice! It's a sore subject to say the least!

_Jake
21-04-14, 08:36 PM
If it was me and enjoyed it as much as you say id keep it, have the head off and do stem steals / all gaskets / timing belt. then maybe think of coilovers/throttle bodies etc in the future

Novasport
21-04-14, 08:52 PM
They had an issue with bore wear on the C16XE's didnt they?

mk1nova_rich
21-04-14, 10:23 PM
Corsa GSi's are becoming very rare and also getting on a fair bit - ideally its probably past its daily duties and if circumstances allow it sounds like it could do with a bit of a restoration/freshen up then becoming a second car

If this is not viable then the next option would be to get on top of the bodywork before major repairs are required and carry on using it daily

Then obviously the last option would be to sell it - weighing up whether its better to do the repairs then sell or sell as it is for less

Regarding mechanical modifications I'd keep the Corsa GSi alloys if you have them, lower it moderately and do a few go faster mods if funds allow

Shamish82
22-04-14, 12:34 PM
as said it is getting rare, if possible store it away and work away at it learn by doing. :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
22-04-14, 12:45 PM
Get some pics up too :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
22-04-14, 02:13 PM
fix it & keep it as the daily :thumb: