PDA

View Full Version : My first Redtop!!

gtachorley
19-04-14, 10:34 PM
At last got an engine for my Nova after it has been sat there waiting for 2 years, for a LET I promised it but never could afford.

So bought a C20XE off ebay, it apparently is a good starter with 177bhp, has Piper Cams and I can see the Vernier pulleys in the pics. Knowing my luck it will have the mildest pointless cams, a snapped rod and a porus head lol!!

Basically the point of my post is can everyone cross their fingers for me, for when I get it home and strip it to have a look and change all the gaskets.

conza123
19-04-14, 10:37 PM
Congrats and my fingers are crossed for you :)

gtachorley
19-04-14, 10:44 PM
Ha cheers pal!!

Never know might have decent cams and pocketed Mahle pistons. Hate buying things that aren't running from people I don't know, people say ran fine but you always have in the back of your mind "you would say that though,would'nt you" :)

Kev Turbo
19-04-14, 11:17 PM
Not much help but why didn't you just wait and buy a known runner? Or was and impulse purchase or too cheap to leave ;)

gtachorley
19-04-14, 11:29 PM
Pretty much bang on that lol yeah saw it on the bay with a day left thought it was ideal an XE with the bits I wanted, sent a message asking for more details with like 12 hours left. Got no reply so thought wont bother, then after a few beers it was still cheap so had a punt at it not thinking I would get it.

C20XE, Verniers, Piper Cams (still dunno which), apparently 177bhp, box, loom and ECU for £335 so seemed too cheap not too have a bid, after a few beers!!

Kev Turbo
19-04-14, 11:54 PM
We have all been there and done that!

However these days it really is worth waiting for an engine with some known history. This still guarantees nothing though as you take your chances with any second hand motor.

Wish you the best of luck with it, Will look forward to your updates :)

gtachorley
19-04-14, 11:57 PM
Cheers mate. Guy says its a good runner in the add but meh thats worth the paper its printed on. You pays your money, you takes your chance :)

Yeah have to track down my original project thread from 5 years ago ha.

Kev Turbo
20-04-14, 12:02 AM
Yeah have to track down my original project thread from 5 years ago ha.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?107915-My-First-Nova-Project&highlight=

philip
20-04-14, 08:31 AM
If its got cams then they will be mild. Gain a few bhp peak but lose a shed load mid range power/torque. Hopefully you haven't bought a dog though matey

mk1nova_rich
20-04-14, 08:34 AM
Standard cams FTW...well for road use anyway