PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong?

Jeff16v
12-04-14, 03:48 PM
We need to apply for a school in September for our 10 yr old son. The local secondary school was so bad that it has been taken over by an academy and very few local kids go there. Even though they have been up and running three years it's still got a few years before the scum has left.

Since we can't really afford to buy somewhere close enough, i'm considering renting a flat for 2.5k a month to get him into the school we want. we can rent our flat out and recover 1.2k a month from that so we will only be burning 1.3k a month for 6 months to get him in.

the question is, is it wrong to do this?

or who cares! everyone else wold do the same to get a decent free school?

scott.parker
12-04-14, 04:21 PM
I guess the most important thing is, dose Nicholas want to go to that school you want him at? And if he goes there does he have enough self discipline to make sure he doesn't waste the opportunity your giving him?
As we all know sometimes as a kid you dont understand the importance of these things until it's too late..

rich a
12-04-14, 04:24 PM
Do u really care if its wrong its your children's education at the end of the day. If you can afford it then do it an stuff what anyone else says

deneil_gsi2000
12-04-14, 05:24 PM
As above mate. You cant put a price on an education

Jeff16v
12-04-14, 07:04 PM
I guess the most important thing is, dose Nicholas want to go to that school you want him at? And if he goes there does he have enough self discipline to make sure he doesn't waste the opportunity your giving him?
As we all know sometimes as a kid you dont understand the importance of these things until it's too late..
Nicholas really wants to go there with his friends and I most of his mates already have older siblings in the school so won't have a problem getting in. i guess we must make sure he understands what has to occur to get the school he wants, so that he can maximise the benefit.

Do u really care if its wrong its your children's education at the end of the day. If you can afford it then do it an stuff what anyone else says
every decent parent cares, we would have to remortgage to have enough cash to do it.

As above mate. You cant put a price on an education
i agree, people will call it cheating as we will only live there to serve a purpose for a short time.

bazil
12-04-14, 07:10 PM
A lot of that goes on around my village, the people most annoyed by it is other kids parents, It can lead to children being isolated by other pupils due to parents and their petty thoughts.

I would do it though as at the end of the day now more than ever kids need a good education for a decent career.

novacabrio
12-04-14, 08:18 PM
Have you thought about writing to the school? Ask for an appointment with the head? Explain that you are willing to move (don't explain the short term bit) in order to get him in?

rich a
12-04-14, 08:57 PM
I hope u didn't take my comment to mean u don't care. Its nice to see that you value your children's education so much

Nick J
12-04-14, 09:00 PM
Have you thought about writing to the school? Ask for an appointment with the head? Explain that you are willing to move (don't explain the short term bit) in order to get him in?

I wouldn't give them any chance of saying NO.... Do what you need to do short term Jeff as then you give him the best chance possible of a decent education and growing up/hanging with decent folk instead of the idiots that could lead him astray.

Nick.

Scottcooper85
12-04-14, 09:36 PM
Is there no way of putting someone else's address on the application a relative or something? Seems a lot of money but I'd do the same for either of my kids in a heartbeat, we moved last year in fact to be closer to a better primary school.

Jeff16v
12-04-14, 10:25 PM
I hope u didn't take my comment to mean u don't care. Its nice to see that you value your children's education so much
no mate.

A lot of that goes on around my village, the people most annoyed by it is other kids parents, It can lead to children being isolated by other pupils due to parents and their petty thoughts.

I would do it though as at the end of the day now more than ever kids need a good education for a decent career.

agreed.

I wouldn't give them any chance of saying NO.... Do what you need to do short term Jeff as then you give him the best chance possible of a decent education and growing up/hanging with decent folk instead of the idiots that could lead him astray.

Nick.

my idea fails anyway, explained below.

Is there no way of putting someone else's address on the application a relative or something? Seems a lot of money but I'd do the same for either of my kids in a heartbeat, we moved last year in fact to be closer to a better primary school.
no, afraid not.

doubt that will work at all as every parent is in the same position.

to give some figures
number of places 2014/2015 - 200
number of applicants - 2014/2015 - 760

furthest distance - 1.1 miles.

we are currently 2.5 miles away.
average house price within 1/2 mile radius - 700k

if we buy somewhere just over 400k it will be about a mile away putting us on the outer boundary meaning we may buy somewhere and not get in anyway.

after a couple of hours on the web it seems schools have clocked on in London to temp rented applicants - if we rented we would need be rent 6 months before we apply (sept 2014) and keep renting till the end of his first year (july 2016) @ 25.5k a month. even with our flat income it will still cost us just over 27k.

if we rent the flat we might be able to get somewhere just under 500k which might get us slightly closer or we will have to buy a flat as close as we can and be cramped.

honestly, the country is a toilet. no wonder so many mums want the kids marked adhd, they automatically get a place.

mk1nova_rich
12-04-14, 11:16 PM
Its becoming a joke getting kids into schools now. Quite a few people I know arn't getting their kids into first choice due to catchment areas...

To me a family who have lived 3 miles away for say 25 years should be higher priority than a family who have just moved next door to the school. No points awarded for history of residence in local area etc which is wrong

We won't have any trouble with getting little un into primary school but high school will be another matter...end up competing with all the ****ing scratters, polaks and all the colours of the rainbow from ****ty areas who pay no tax and only moved in last week :mad:

Andy
13-04-14, 07:17 AM
Re the good school-bad lad comment.
That was me,i went to a decent school 1.5mile away rather than the "catchment area" dump I was supposed to go to errr 3miles away to stay away from "wronguns"
I probably ended up worse than I would have at the dump tbh.Wish I could have my time again.
I really feel for you,i can only imagine what this academy sh1thole is like.

Jeff16v
13-04-14, 07:50 AM
Its becoming a joke getting kids into schools now. Quite a few people I know arn't getting their kids into first choice due to catchment areas...

To me a family who have lived 3 miles away for say 25 years should be higher priority than a family who have just moved next door to the school. No points awarded for history of residence in local area etc which is wrong

We won't have any trouble with getting little un into primary school but high school will be another matter...end up competing with all the ****ing scratters, polaks and all the colours of the rainbow from ****ty areas who pay no tax and only moved in last week :mad:
we stressed over the primary school and most of the people in our road didn't get the school they wanted, they measured straight across the railway line so we were really lucky that we can see the school from our kitchen window. never realised how stressful it all gets.

Re the good school-bad lad comment.
That was me,i went to a decent school 1.5mile away rather than the "catchment area" dump I was supposed to go to errr 3miles away to stay away from "wronguns"
I probably ended up worse than I would have at the dump tbh.Wish I could have my time again.
I really feel for you,i can only imagine what this academy sh1thole is like.

since we can't afford a private school nor agree with our type going there, we either accept the Sh!thole or move away from the area we love to avoid the dross!

the 1 grammar school is 8 miles away, so we could move to an area we hate to try and get him in there. at least the property types and prices are more affordable.

sport
13-04-14, 08:32 AM
Cant you not ask for a placement request from the local council to get into the other school? Rather than having to move home.