View Full Version : GTE engine into a 1.2, how do I........

Gobby
10-09-03, 12:28 AM
wire in a the fuel pump?

Will driveshafts from the 1.2 be ok or should I improve them?

what wires from the loom do I wire up where?

The donor car went to the scrappy ages ago and I never took the engine out so cannot figure it out myself.

Also, the car I have has a crappy sunroof, will a tilt and slide one fit in no probs? not bothered about the roof lining as I'm gonna modify one from a cavvy to fit

I think I know the rest anyway, but probably not, get ready for the cries of help over the next few weeks.

Cheers

bad_boy_nova
10-09-03, 09:12 AM
I changed my 4 speed 1.2 carb nova to a 1.6i GTE 5 speed f*cker! Well worth doing.

The things i used were:-

GTE Engine and Gearbox (obviously)
GTE Fuel Tank
GTE External injection pump
GTE Fuel Lines
I used the GTE driveshafts because the longer driveshaft had a torsional weight on it
GTE Radiator
GTE exhaust with a Peco BB2 back box
GTE ECU and Air Flow Meter
I needed to put the extra wiring in for the ECU and fuel pump
GTE 6 clock instrument panel

Im using 2.0L 16v Astra GTE front brakes with a 1.2 brake servo

Im using a full gmax suspension kit (springs and shocks)

I didnt put the GTE anti-roll bars on because people say that it makes the handling worse, i dont know whether this is true or not.

Gobby
10-09-03, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the list, got most of that stuff, but how do I wire in the fuel pump and ECU?

bad_boy_nova
10-09-03, 02:27 PM
The ECU just simply plugs into a large multi plug that comes from the engine. The fuel pump has 2 wires coming from it (brown and red/blue). The brown wire goes to the brown wire on the fuel tank sender and the red/blue wire goes to the fuel pump relay in the engine bay.

brian
10-09-03, 02:34 PM
The brown doesn't have too go to the sender unit it just needs to be earthed anywhere.
You can fit the entire loom or just patch in what you need.
If you patch in you need to earth the pump and run a wire to the blue/red out of the pump relay.
The engine loom needs to be joined to the original loom. not going to say what wires as cant remember exactly as its been a while. but no more than 3 or 4 wires. power earth etc.
The full engine loom must remain on from the gsi. the ecu plugs into this

Gobby
10-09-03, 02:34 PM
Cheers,

get set in about that at the weekend now, get the 1.2 engine horsed and put in me good 1.6 engine.

brian
10-09-03, 02:37 PM
put the full loom in if ya get it as its a lot simpler if you are unsure about wiring

Gobby
11-09-03, 03:09 AM
Checked the engine, seems the wiring has been cut, but don't know where from, inside it are a lot of different coloured wires, ECU is still connected (panicked when this engine was taken out, didn't know the ECU was engine bay mounted, spendt a day looking for it in car) think I'd probably be better off buying a new loom,