PDA

View Full Version : Standard fuel tank getting huge over pressurised ?

dgbnova#1
09-04-14, 10:25 PM
As title any one had this it's a 1.2 carb any info welcome

Southie
10-04-14, 07:48 AM
As title any one had this it's a 1.2 carb any info welcome

A car's gas tank will build pressure under normal operating conditions. High pressure in a car's gas tank may cause dangerous conditions. High gas tank pressures in a car may cause gas tank bulging, fuel line leaks, fuel pump problems, lack of fuel to the engine for combustion, dangerous conditions when opening the gas tank filler cap and potentially create fire hazards.
Just something to check.

Scottcooper85
10-04-14, 08:03 AM
Maybe a daft question but is the breather all clear mate?

dgbnova#1
10-04-14, 09:07 AM
Yes breather is clear but even blocked would not cause this problem all pipes are new tank was fully cleaned just wanted any help if someone has had this before

what is the small pipe for that the tank breather is next to wraps around the tank
thet pressure is excessive and as in the ehow post pretty Much sums it up so need an answer

phunkynova
10-04-14, 05:40 PM
If I understand you right the small pipe that wraps around the tank is the breather pipe the one that runs up to the filler neck is a breather just when filling the tank and can only breath when the filler cap is off .
So have you checked the small wrap around pipe to see if it's OK ?.

dgbnova#1
10-04-14, 05:43 PM
Yes I'm of the thought the small pipes blocked how and with what don't know but I'm 100% sure it is

Andy
10-04-14, 05:46 PM
Small pipe is blocked/squashed and therefore venting into the filler neck when you remove the cap.

dgbnova#1
10-04-14, 05:53 PM
I think it's blocked internal I put air down it and it was not blowing through I ashumed it was a valve holding the air after checking 6 other tanks thsts not the case miffed is not the word back of we come lol

Plug
14-04-14, 09:30 PM
Did i not see in your thread you pressure washing its internals? might not have been

if so could of caused some damage in there

dgbnova#1
14-04-14, 09:53 PM
That was the old tank its not the one fitted now I've sorted it now I think

marc69
14-04-14, 10:26 PM
I had this with a 1.4 carb tank, it was the thin pipe going between the tank and filler was blocked. Before I fixed it,it was difficult to get fuel in the tank and it got so bad that when you took the fuel cap off sometimes fuel would blast back out the filler.

Cleared the thin pipe and never had the problem again.

dgbnova#1
14-04-14, 10:37 PM
Yes exactly what happened mine was a mix of things no return from carb, thin breather pipe on top blocked but not the filler breather the external one been fine now but bloody scary when it blew out the first time I was soaked in petrol head to toe good job I were specks lol

marc69
14-04-14, 11:11 PM
Yes exactly what happened mine was a mix of things no return from carb, thin breather pipe on top blocked but not the filler breather the external one been fine now but bloody scary when it blew out the first time I was soaked in petrol head to toe good job I were specks lol

I didn't have specs on but I was grateful I don't smoke lol

dgbnova#1
14-04-14, 11:20 PM
Yes well smoking and filling up never mix lol
what's worse I don't often go out in the car just to go out but I did that day not for long though back home to change