PDA

View Full Version : Noisy engine.

TeddyThom
09-04-14, 07:30 PM
So recently I got the nova running. Runs a little lumpy but I'm putting that down to the air fuel mixture being not quite right. However, the engine is exceptionally noisy. There is no tapping noises, no loud knocks or bangs etc however it's noisy. Like I can hear it in the drivers seat like I'm under the bonnet.

Its had a head skim, twin 40's, new 4 branch exhaust manifold. Is the noise likely to be where the engine hasn't been running in god knows how long and needs to bed itself back in?? I can't work it out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated chaps.

marc69
09-04-14, 07:53 PM
What engine is it and is there a hole in the car?

TeddyThom
09-04-14, 08:23 PM
14NV. And what do you mean by hole? I was stood at the front of the car with the bonnet up and had to raise my voice so Steve could hear me!

Southie
09-04-14, 08:30 PM
14NV. And what do you mean by hole? I was stood at the front of the car with the bonnet up and had to raise my voice so Steve could hear me!
Put up a video IMO as it may help more.

Novasport
09-04-14, 08:32 PM
A four branch can make the engine sound louder. Twin forties make a loud noise too unless hushed by an airbox.

TeddyThom
09-04-14, 09:13 PM
Put up a video IMO as it may help more.

I shall see if I can get a video tomorrow.

Novasport. I have trumpets on my 40's...

I'm also used to driving a 13 plate focus. That's quiet as anything. Could that be a contributory factor? Also steves 1300 saloon is a heck of a lot quieter but I don't know if he has done anything to it...

7ova
09-04-14, 09:35 PM
Give me the 40's and the four branch and it'll be better!

_Jake
09-04-14, 09:39 PM
I shall see if I can get a video tomorrow.

Novasport. I have trumpets on my 40's...

I'm also used to driving a 13 plate focus. That's quiet as anything. Could that be a contributory factor? Also steves 1300 saloon is a heck of a lot quieter but I don't know if he has done anything to it...

trumpets wont make a **** of difference to damping the sound, if your using it on the road you really need to fit some sort of filter to the carbs.

marc69
09-04-14, 10:26 PM
The 40s do make noise but it should be a nice noise. My NV wasn't that loud so sounds like something funny?

I thought you were saying it was noisey just when you were in the car, sorry.