PDA

View Full Version : Serious decisions on my car's..

scott.parker
07-04-14, 11:32 AM
Ok so some might know over the last few years ive made some tough choices, and some obviously sensible one regarding my cars, mainly it boils down to priorities (house financial etc)

So my latest dilemma is...
I've had my mk4 Astra 1.8 51 plate off the road for a while now as it's been too expensive to keep two cars on the road.

So, if i wanted to do any modifications, or substantial improvements etc to the mk1 nova it would need to come off the road to do so, but this would require me using my Astra IF i need a car, but to use the Astra i need to spend money on it first getting new drive belt/tensioner, and possibly handbrake cables then mot and expensive tax!..
(but with this option ive got to 100% commit to do everything and finish it)

Or, my other option is, do as above to Astra and mot and sell it, then do less substantial work (eg no engine swap, no new paint underneath etc) on the nova and keep it as my only car to use, so i wouldn't spend much on it tbh..

Or my other option is this, sell both car's and buy a nice comfortable, luxurious, powerful yet practical car and leave my nova days behind me....

It's a serious question, as this last twelve months or so it's been an issue thats starting to really get to me, and is getting me down..

Edd
07-04-14, 11:40 AM
You'll regret selling the nova if you do, so don't lol

Just get the astra on the road, don't sound that expensive to do so

scott.parker
07-04-14, 11:46 AM
You'll regret selling the nova if you do, so don't lol

Just get the astra on the road, don't sound that expensive to do so

Well, when you consider it cost £275 to tax the Astra 12 months, but only costs £290 to tax, mot, insure the Nova, you see why i made that choice before.

8valve-craig
07-04-14, 11:54 AM
Are you using the Nova as your daily at the moment? That might be whats getting you down.

scott.parker
07-04-14, 11:56 AM
Are you using the Nova as your daily at the moment? That might be whats getting you down.

I don't use it "daily" so to speak, as i don't use a car to get to work, but it is my only car on the road that I use yes.

Connor
07-04-14, 12:04 PM
Sell the astra, buy a clio dci80 or similar car (20quid a year tax, pennies to insure etc) Use nova for smiles/shows. Use daily for daily boring stuff. It will make you appriciate driving the nova a little more :).

Vlietje
07-04-14, 12:22 PM
Fix the Astra, sell it and go snowboarding!! No serious. Just get that damn Astra fixed and sell it. You know you don't want to sell the Nova. And hey, 20 years ago people were in line to buy one for everyday use. So it's no strange thing to use a Nova as a daily, I think they're dead cheap to insure and tax down your side of the water or not? The GSi only costs me € 18,00 tax per month and € 20,00 for insurance.

Mieran
07-04-14, 12:23 PM

This!

I love my Nova but for everyday driving I much rather be in my Astra coupe.

Scottcooper85
07-04-14, 12:40 PM
If you don't need a car for work I'd fix the astra and sell it and use bus, train, legs, lifts, etc for when you don't want to use the nova or leave it somewhere.

EwanG
07-04-14, 12:47 PM
It sounds like you need to make more money. What line of work are you in?

Iain
07-04-14, 01:13 PM
I swear you're in the lead for number of "What should I do with my cars" threads on PNG lol

Jeff16v
07-04-14, 01:24 PM
I suspect you have done the Nova thing and aren't likely to feel the same way about it for the future. I suggest selling the Nova as clearly your heart isn't in it anymore, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for opinions.

This wasm't an option on the Poll, but, Sell Nova, Keep Astra.

Shamish82
07-04-14, 01:37 PM
Hi Scott owning a vetra turbo and a corsa, try to sell the house etc etc. I understand your situation I got rid of my Nova 15 years ago and regreted it. I would fix the astra sell it and get something that suits your needs. Its a nice car you will regret getting rid

scott.parker
07-04-14, 02:06 PM
Thanks Iain, really helpful, glad your lucky enough not to be put in a position where you have to make these choices, knew it was a bad idea posting this up..

Novasport
07-04-14, 02:16 PM
Option 4: Sell the Nova to me :)

scott.parker
07-04-14, 02:18 PM
It sounds like you need to make more money. What line of work are you in?

Thats an obvious point, but not easy to fix really, im in mail logistics lol
Its all boiling down to owning a home, and an impending wedding, really don't have the spare cash i once did.. That's the only reason I'm stuck with making a choice, but i don't think asking on here's going to be much use, as most people are obviously not in my situation to understand, or simply don't care lol.
Guess I'll have to go pounder it some more...

scott.parker
07-04-14, 02:21 PM
Option 4: Sell the Nova to me :)

You sir have issues... And certainly don't need anymore novas lol

turbojolt
07-04-14, 02:24 PM
keep the nova as a rolling project/regular motor. sell everything else

how come your not still doing joinery work tons of wodden frame new builds being built in the midlands right now? or was you sick of the overrated self-employed bull ****

Edd
07-04-14, 02:29 PM
Thats an obvious point, but not easy to fix really, im in mail logistics lol
Its all boiling down to owning a home, and an impending wedding, really don't have the spare cash i once did.. That's the only reason I'm stuck with making a choice, but i don't think asking on here's going to be much use, as most people are obviously not in my situation to understand, or simply don't care lol.
Guess I'll have to go pounder it some more...

Tbh Scott I'm in a very similar situation

Not had any spare cash for the Sport since buying our house few years back, then wedding last year, so I know what it feels like

I have thought about selling up nova wise, but i know I'd seriously regret it

If it were me I'd take the nova off the road, store it for later and drive the astra round

DAFTJOHN
07-04-14, 02:36 PM
It looks like you don't really use the car too much. If I were in your position, i'd get the astra sold....hopefully free up cash after you've spent the money to repair it. Pop that money away for a rainy day. Continue to use the Nova when you need to, and get the enjoyment of the shows etc. If that doesn't excite you, I guess the question is answered. For the moment the Nova is not a priority and you could either sell the nova and keep the astra (allows some rainy day money) or sell both and get another nicer daily. Worthwhile bearing in mind it may be hard to find a nova in that condition if you do sell

Iain
07-04-14, 03:35 PM
Thanks Iain, really helpful, glad your lucky enough not to be put in a position where you have to make these choices, knew it was a bad idea posting this up..

Calm down don't take offence it was meant in jest! If I was in that situation I wouldn't be asking a bunch of people on a forum which of my cars was more important to me though.

Benn
07-04-14, 05:12 PM
Put the Astra on the road, PM me the reg, and i'll get the the bits as cheap as poss through my work,
THe Nova can be cheap to run and use. as it only needs 6months tax. Then you can use it in the nice dry warm summer months and do the bits you want too over the winter. So it stays dry.
You can do all your plans on a budget.

_Jake
07-04-14, 05:20 PM
lol you get offended so easily scott, man the **** up! i'd park the nova up until you have the money to do what you want with it. well actually id sell both and buy an evo but thats just me.

steve1434
07-04-14, 06:06 PM
I was in a similar situation mate, sold Nova - got married - bought house - all the while regretting selling the Nova. Try and find a place to store the nova, friend/family/lock-up etc might not cost as much as you think!? I have a boring car as my main daily (mk4 Golf) but loooove getting my Nova for fun on the weekends and then sometimes using it as a daily til my back hurts lol and I swap to the golf again. Driving the Nova actually makes me happy so I would exhaust all options before selling.

Mike
07-04-14, 06:31 PM
Well you all know my views PMSL but letting your life be pretty much dictated by ownership of a particular car is, IMO, just plain ridonkulous..

brainsnova
07-04-14, 07:36 PM
Sell both go modern

Jeff16v
07-04-14, 08:19 PM
I care, I've changed my mind. Get rid of the proxy Astra and enjoy lad'ing around in the nova. It's part of you and no matter what happens in life, you have a nova to make you smile.

problem solved

dgbnova#1
07-04-14, 09:00 PM
You do get to a point were something got to give I stoped owning Novas /working on cars for various reasons but I'm loveing it more now after a long break from it it's fun again well fun is a bold statement tbh

regardless your gona do what ever is best but I regret selling some cars I've sold or scraped even but in x amount of years there will be a post have you seem my car or were Is it now that we see all the time

Jack
07-04-14, 09:56 PM
My 2p...

If running two comparitively cheap cars (yes tax may be expensive, but over the course of a year its not a big deal) is expensive, then forget selling them for something powerful yet practical as you'll spend just as much on upkeep and whatnot. And then there's the eventual desire to tinker with it lol

I would say get the Astra up to scratch, take the nova off the road to do the work you want on it over time.

Lee H
07-04-14, 11:48 PM
Sell them both and get one decent car that does what you need.

I should follow my own advice, currently taxing and insuring 3 cars again at the moment (£750 just in tax) and I don't even drive to work! I'm such an idiot sometimes.

marc69
07-04-14, 11:58 PM
Many years ago after owning my first 1.0 Nova for 5 years I bought a modern injection car. Within months I was so bored and full of regrets.

Since then (and I am nearly 40) I have used Novas for everyday cars. Most of the time it is great, occasionally the hastle gets me down but each year they get better.

Today I had to drive a modern Ford Focus, then I got in my 1.2L and it felt basic for a few seconds until I drove, it is so nippy an agile in comparison, and only a 1.2.

It depends how much you love your Nova, I personally find modern cars really boring, the only thing that I feel I lack in comparison to modern cars is the safety aspect.

I think this is the question...............Could you put up with the Nova as an every day car or could you sell it without being heartbroken and paying an ridiculous amount for a not so good one a few months down the line.

jimbob-mcgrew
08-04-14, 01:06 AM
this last twelve months or so it's been an issue thats starting to really get to me, and is getting me down..

12 months of headache is not what you want mate !

if your nova wasn't so nice I would have said to get rid, but its a beauty, keep it :thumb:

if you can get your money back from sorting the astra out, after the repairs (£100+?), mot (£50), 6 months tax (£145), and then selling it, that would be a weight off your shoulders.
if its gonna cost you more to sort than youll get back from it tho.... probably makes sense to break it. engine/wheels/whatevers of value, and once gone and made what you can, weight off your shoulders.

Subtle modder
08-04-14, 01:57 AM
I havent voted as im confused on the choice bases, howcome you see it sensible to spend the money "sorting the astra" doing all the bits it needs BUT bot spending a great deal time or money on the Nova which unquestionably is worth more?

Wayne

Southie
08-04-14, 04:42 AM
I was in a similar situation a few years ago when getting married, funds were tight at the time and my choice was to keep or sell... As you know I sold up, me and the wife now car share.

For me yes I miss my Nova but I was never a mechanic on it so I miss owning and driving one but don't miss the bloody things breaking down, I spent a fortune on Novas but now I'm putting that money into paying my mortgage quicker.
I get a lift to work now and I'm quids in, I'll go back to having a Nova one day maybe but it would be a summer/show car that would be garaged in a lockup.

Tax from October is going monthly so bear that in mind as well ;)

Alex J
08-04-14, 09:58 AM
big block it!

Subtle modder
08-04-14, 11:52 AM
Tax from October is going monthly so bear that in mind as well ;)

Still can only be brought in 6 an 12 month lots but can be paid by direct debit monthly, feel their misleading people alot with that bit

wayne

Jack
08-04-14, 12:12 PM
^ my thoughts exactly. Also aren't they bringing in a new thing where you have to cash in the tax on a car before (or at time of) selling it? i.e. you can't transfer the VED with the car, the new owner will have to tax it themselves from scratch..?

ben doodar
08-04-14, 12:44 PM
f i were you scott id pull the nova off the road, fix the astra up and use it as your daily, (surely the astras going to be better for transporting your snow boarding gear? etc) tinker away at the nova when you feel like it, free time, bored etc + im not sure of your plans for the nova but its nothing to costly? re undearsealing painting tidying bits up isnt going to cost all that much is it?

i dont know you personally but what i gather from on here and FB your a nova nut, i think you'd regret selling tbh. especially as its such a nice example.

like you i have other hobbies/interests id rather spend time, nice days etc out on my mountain or trials bikes.

park the nova up for a little while and try to forget about it for a bit, then come back to it when you feel like you want to.

i certainly enjoy having a nova, its in the garage i can work on it as and when i like, im not arsed if its not on the road till next year or when ever so i feel no stress from my project at all.

Subtle modder
08-04-14, 05:37 PM
^ my thoughts exactly. Also aren't they bringing in a new thing where you have to cash in the tax on a car before (or at time of) selling it? i.e. you can't transfer the VED with the car, the new owner will have to tax it themselves from scratch..?

Yep, and worst of all theres nothing put in place at the moment for automatic refunds, so basically as from 1st october, Jane sell's her Clio to fred, DVLA take the tax off the car as soon as change of ownership is recieved, Fred has to Tax the vehicle in HIS name BUT.. heres the con.. It is Janes responsibilty to claim the remaining tax back from the clio, the complete con here is the fact DVLA will undoubtably be paid twice for the same month on a car which changes hands when already taxed as you can only get so called 'clean' months back (so before the next month) but the new owner will have to txt it instantly upon buying and tax it even if its the 23rd of a 30 day month..

CON

Wayne

Mike
08-04-14, 06:54 PM
Some intriguing replies..... I just find it strange that no ones really questioned the fact of letting a car dictate your life plans :eek: money certainly doesn't grow on no stick, and we all (myself included) know that modifying any car is pretty much a money pit.

Irregardless of people saying "itll be worth XYZ in years to come", if you cant bear to part with it/them now then you have no hope at all of parting with in those XYZ years from now do you really.

Yep, and worst of all theres nothing put in place at the moment for automatic refunds, so basically as from 1st october, Jane sell's her Clio to fred, DVLA take the tax off the car as soon as change of ownership is recieved, Fred has to Tax the vehicle in HIS name BUT.. heres the con.. It is Janes responsibilty to claim the remaining tax back from the clio, the complete con here is the fact DVLA will undoubtably be paid twice for the same month on a car which changes hands when already taxed as you can only get so called 'clean' months back (so before the next month) but the new owner will have to txt it instantly upon buying and tax it even if its the 23rd of a 30 day month..

CON

Wayne

Moral of the story.... don't bother taxing your car at all lol lol lol

ben doodar
08-04-14, 07:34 PM
Some intriguing replies..... I just find it strange that no ones really questioned the fact of letting a car dictate your life plans :eek: money certainly doesn't grow on no stick, and we all (myself included) know that modifying any car is pretty much a money pit.

Irregardless of people saying "itll be worth XYZ in years to come", if you cant bear to part with it/them now then you have no hope at all of parting with in those XYZ years from now do you really.

Moral of the story.... don't bother taxing your car at all lol lol lol

i see what your saying mike, but a car can only dictate your life if your stupid with it IMO. Big power let builds trying to break boundaries mines got more powers than yours etc. for it all to go bang n then start over again. I know a lad who's spent £25k and counting on his 106 turbo. Damn it's fast when it's working but IMO absolutely stupid.

If Scott was to park his nova up for a little while. Enjoy the summer months then got the little jobs he's been wanting to do, done over the winter he's on to a winner IMO.

I know lads who spend days and days at a time fishing with top of the range everything that costs thousands, chances are there never going get any where near there money back. It's a hobbie and if people enjoy doing so then good on them.

EDIT: I started a LET nova build a couple of years ago, Realised how much money, time and effort I'd have to spend on it. then at the end of it most likely end up with a car that's unreliable and dangerously fast. I saw sense and sold it. I think you can have a project that doesn't take over your life you just have to be sensible with it.

Kev Turbo
08-04-14, 07:42 PM
Will the poll actually have any bearing on your decision Scott?

Mike
08-04-14, 07:44 PM
It's a hobbie and if people enjoy doing so then good on them.

I certainly agree its a hobbie, without a doubt infact and fully agree with getting stupid money wise. But it all comes down to money. If you can afford to do it then yea do it what ever makes you happy an all that, BUT if you cant realistically afford to do it then don't fool yourself thinking you can as somethings gonna give financially.

Lots of peoples on here slate me hating on Novas, I don't hate them, Ive owned like 5, wont be buying anymore as the awesome memorys I have from owning them are just that, memorys. For me, it was time to move on do some other shÃ*t an have awesome memorys of doing that etc which in my circumstances wouldn't have been possible if spending out on car parts. Which Im guessing is a similar position Scott is in (wedding, house/rent etc)

Im just a 100% realist, so IMO sell the lot if its straining you or holding you back financially.

Scottcooper85
08-04-14, 08:08 PM
I know lads who spend days and days at a time fishing with top of the range everything that costs thousands, chances are there never going get any where near there money back. It's a hobbie and if people enjoy doing so then good on them.

this is my other hobby, it's taking a back bench while I'm spending on the nova. How my wife puts up I have not a clue lol

Johnny A
08-04-14, 09:06 PM
My plan is to have two Novas, one daily with a Isuzu derv and the weekend racer. But then I am greedy lol

lee 16v
08-04-14, 11:17 PM
I would fix the astra and use that until you know ehat you want to do, if you have somewhere to put the nova off the road keep that, play with it and I bet in a month or so you will want it back on the road.

I also get fed up with being skint and think "sod it I'm going to sell that nova" then I take it for a drive and love it again,
Im using mine everyday at the mo, im getting a bit fed up with it but my A3 is broke and lucky its under warranty or I would have to sell the nova to cover the price of fixing the A3. So dont think by getting a newer "better" car it will save you money.
Also if its just a hard time right now, it should pass, maybe get a 2nd job or find a way to get some extra cash, but at the end of the day be happy, be happy with what you have.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-04-14, 02:19 AM
its funny how this is a nova and a Vauxhall forum, and the poll results are biased towards getting rid of both lol

you thought about putting the astra's 1.8 in the nova scott ? ... or is that more headache ontop of current affairs ?

scott.parker
09-04-14, 06:29 AM
its funny how this is a nova and a Vauxhall forum, and the poll results are biased towards getting rid of both lol

you thought about putting the astra's 1.8 in the nova scott ? ... or is that more headache ontop of current affairs ?

You obviously don't share a home with a woman lol i can just imagine what her reaction to that idea would be..

TWAG
09-04-14, 06:39 AM
I've been in this position many times of the 11 years of owning my nova, but each time I've decided to keep it and I'm glad I have. I would say get the asta on the road and slowly mod the nova. That way you can spend the money on the nova when you have it.

I guess it all depends if you still enjoy working on the nova, that's why I've kept mine because it is a hobbie.

scott.parker
09-04-14, 06:39 AM
Will the poll actually have any bearing on your decision Scott?

Possibly, im curious to see what others think, but i can see who voted, and i know there's some biased and piss take ones in there lol

Tbh I'm still mulling it over in my head, but once ive made my choice I'll close the poll.

Alex J
09-04-14, 08:16 AM
aint you big blocked it yet!!

staggy_gsi
09-04-14, 07:56 PM
If this was me, heres what I'd do.

51 plate astras arent exactly worth a fortune these days (I havent seen the car so Im sorry if its had loads done to it etc), so I would price up exactly how much you need to spend on it to get it on the road, then work out if its worth just cutting your losses and selling as it is now with no tax or test.
if its worth fixing, fix it and flog it. If not, just flog it as is. You havent used it for a long time anyway so you wont miss it like you would the nova. Then maybe just give the nova a good underseal etc etc to save it rotting away until you are in a better financial position and can take it off the road.

Just my personal opinion, but after selling my gsi in 2009 I wish I hadnt, so Id definitely say keep the nova.

scott.parker
12-04-14, 03:44 PM
Right, my conclusion is..

Nova comes off the road, Astra goes on..
I just need to figure out to what extent im modifying it, think im goig to do what work needs doing, stich and paint bay, then put the x16xe in as standard for now, then save/plan to turbo it in time, or i splash out and turbo before conversion..

Lots of stuff to get on with, once the nova is done Astra will be gone, and were planning on getting a vw T25 camper between us.

dgbnova#1
12-04-14, 04:23 PM
Build and run standard motor then get a spare engine in time build any turbo that one ready to swop nova running and engine built as and when
I'm getting an exchange running unit for the Corsa unit I'm re building so could let that go at the right price won't be for a while anyway

Alex J
12-04-14, 07:00 PM
C20let the banana!!

Nick J
12-04-14, 09:20 PM
Sell it Scott..... Sell them all!! They'll still be around when you feel the time is right to buy another. Put your personal circumstances first and you won't go far wrong.

Nick.

Andy
13-04-14, 07:23 AM
Autograss it lol

Plug
13-04-14, 10:52 AM
C20let the banana!!

Speaking sense!!! You know you want to scott, no pressure ;) lol