PDA

View Full Version : cambelt tension

marc69
04-04-14, 10:38 PM
I have just fitted a new cambelt on my 1.2 and there is a bit of whine coming from it.

I adjusted it as haynes said to roughly 7mm of play on the belt but I think I did this last year too on my SR and it was just a little too tight.

Do I need to release it slightly now or do they stretch slightly after a few miles or so anyway?

Thanks

dgbnova#1
04-04-14, 10:59 PM
May be shot for this my gauge was always to turn the belt though 90o on the long stretch from top pully to bottom
if it's screaming it's prob to tight and if you slacken pump just do it slight as your gona get seeping from it if you go to much

is it all new pump and belt ?

marc69
04-04-14, 11:01 PM
just a new belt but I couldn't get the pump to turn so had to remove it, clean it all up and refit it.

dgbnova#1
04-04-14, 11:13 PM
Ye they corrode mate just change it it's not worth the risk if the pump is screaming it's not a good sign and cam belt failure is far more cost than a £30odd pump

dgbnova#1
04-04-14, 11:15 PM
How did you remove it you could have damaged it taking it out

jimbob-mcgrew
04-04-14, 11:19 PM
the twist test is between the cam pulley and waterpump.
90 from top to bottom will be too tight, and whine. everyones finger strength and feel is different tho, I find 100 degrees perfect for myself.

pump wasnt rotating marc ? ... best to fit a new one. if it locks up on you, the valves will freeze, and the pistons will go hello lol

marc69
04-04-14, 11:20 PM
You are right, but I needed the car tonight so it had to be reassembled.

When I say the pump wouldn't turn, I mean as in move round to adjust the cambelt tension, the car has lain for 4 years, the pump operation is fine itself, and when I had it out the car I checked it was turning the pump freely but without play. I then cleaned the recees for it in the block and so on. But I need to get a spare in stock anyway.

Actually I thought I had a spare and almost fitted one which is for the SR....it's a square toothed one, was a bit hacked off at the time!

I'll check everything again tomorrow in daylight but I am almost sure I did the same thing with my SR last year, had it slightly tight.

jimbob-mcgrew
04-04-14, 11:25 PM
ah I see, just rusty frame and stuck in place. yeah should be ok.

sometimes they leak a bit when re-fitted without new O-rings, but plenty sealant usually does a good job :thumb:

marc69
04-04-14, 11:46 PM
Thanks, assuming that when I invetigate it tomorrow it is the tension and not that I have damaged the pump!

Another question on cambelts though. As I have afew Novas I have to rotate them for use and for example the SR did 4K last year in milage and will probably be in storage then for 4 years.

With a cambelt having to be changed every 7 years,,,that means every 8K miles in reality. Do you reckon as they are stored inside I'd get away with every ten years as the mileage is so slow?

dgbnova#1
05-04-14, 12:09 AM
Standing idly is just as bad I find on these had a few engines recent with slack belts due to standing
I'd still get a new pump tomorrow regardless at worst you can take it back if you don't use it if it's f£&ked and you not got one what then ?

marc69
05-04-14, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I will get a pump even if it's just as a spare, keep the place stocked lol

marc69
05-04-14, 08:01 PM
It was the belt was too tight, I think the twist 90 degrees is a lot more accurate tha haynes measurement. Thanks for that guys.