PDA

View Full Version : side repeaters on an import for MOT

Subtle modder
04-04-14, 08:59 AM
Got a 91 LHD import Corsa A, no side repeaters from factory and i dont intend to fit any as at the moment going for retro vibe, My MOT tester disagrees, i mentioned it to him last week and he saids i need to fit some BUT it didnt need them in 99 when it came over and had other modifications done before UK registartion so why should i have to fit them now?

ive searched and searched and coming up with the usual laws of you cant remove them, which i know already but do i have to 'add them' is the question?

thankyou in advance :)

Wayne

millworm
04-04-14, 11:53 AM
I'd say if it's on a uk reg ect you don't have much of a choice

Benn
04-04-14, 12:03 PM
It's all down to the testers discretion... So his view can change on whats ok and no...
That's one prob with it.
I'd stick a pair on to the wing. Then remove after.
Remember that the mk1 indicators don't wrap around the wing.

Royston
04-04-14, 12:06 PM
Side repeaters required from Aug 1986 in UK and possibly europe too iirc

Note: Jap imports dont have rear fog lights, but need to be fitted for the UK;)

Jack
04-04-14, 12:53 PM
In 1999 it should have had them fitted through an SVA, assuming its a Mk1 front end. You'll need them for MOT too unfortunately.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Subtle modder
04-04-14, 02:02 PM
I'd say if it's on a uk reg ect you don't have much of a choice

That was pretty much his wording.. :roll:

It's all down to the testers discretion... So his view can change on whats ok and no...
That's one prob with it.
I'd stick a pair on to the wing. Then remove after.
Remember that the mk1 indicators don't wrap around the wing.

Think im going to have to Benn, im ok just temp tapping into the front indicators arent i? :tard:

Side repeaters required from Aug 1986 in UK and possibly europe too iirc

In 1999 it should have had them fitted through an SVA, assuming its a Mk1 front end. You'll need them for MOT too unfortunately.

Nope 91 made 1.2 spi mk2 :cool:, odd i thought but ive checked them thoroughly and theyve never had holes for repeaters, the rear lights are genuine dated novemeber 99 (when it came over) which they fitted and then modded the wiring to swap reverse and fog sides, fronts were fitted with the swapover stickers probably due to headlamp costs back then for genuine items

thanks for replies, something else to add, the consesnus is im right lolbut hes god in this sittuation? :cry:lol

Wayne

Southie
04-04-14, 02:11 PM
Put it in for the test, if it fails on them then you need them.

Benn
04-04-14, 03:27 PM
Think im going to have to Benn, im ok just temp tapping into the front indicators arent i? :tard:

As long as they are on the side.

Royston
04-04-14, 03:57 PM
This may help

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

Andy
04-04-14, 04:21 PM
Put it in for the test, if it fails on them then you need them.
THis.
Ever so simple really

Royston
04-04-14, 04:34 PM
It seems very odd that it wasn't fitted with them from the factory, especially being a Mk 2 and a fairly late car, unless was destined for a non EU export.

Be interesting to know if the factory Mk2 wings are available/listed in EPC without side repeaters

The wires for side repeaters maybe present in the harness, but easy enough to runsome from the front.

Any Pics?

Subtle modder
04-04-14, 11:22 PM
It seems very odd that it wasn't fitted with them from the factory, especially being a Mk 2 and a fairly late car, unless was destined for a non EU export.<br>
<br>
Be interesting to know if the factory Mk2 wings are available/listed in EPC without side repeaters<br>
<br>
The wires for side repeaters maybe present in the harness, but easy enough to runsome from the front.<br>
<br>
Any Pics?

I thought the same Royston, its a Germany car which i dont think is exempt from usual rules which is why i checked, also checked and theres no dangling or taped back wiring as ive found yet

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/metzyman_photos/My%20Opel%20Corsa%20A/IMG_4163_zps82b1a692.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/metzyman_photos/media/My%20Opel%20Corsa%20A/IMG_4163_zps82b1a692.jpg.html)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/metzyman_photos/My%20Opel%20Corsa%20A/IMG_4160_zps97990c57.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/metzyman_photos/media/My%20Opel%20Corsa%20A/IMG_4160_zps97990c57.jpg.html)

Wayne

marc69
04-04-14, 11:51 PM
just get something that clips securely on the lip of the wheel arch, run two wires from the front and take it to the MOT. Better to get the test rather than have him fail it and then being picky on the fitment.

Drive out with your ticket and remove, keep in abox for next year and so on.

I have never seen those wings without the holes, unusual. A cleaner line to the car.

brainsnova
05-04-14, 01:07 AM
Stand side on and if you can see the front indicator then that's good enough for me

Subtle modder
05-04-14, 04:05 AM
Think that is what i will be doing Marc and yes Brains i agree but he thinks different, Im not argumentaive as some will see this thread as being, my simple point is, it hasnt needed them the last 15 years its been here why all of a sudden does it need them now? seems stupid to me, YES if i needed to fit them for sva approval when bringing it over in 99 thats understandable BUT it not, its a simple MOT some 15 years later..

another thing for those knowledgeable which i couldnt find specifically in the handbook other night... Tailgate button is missing so can open tailgate from inside but not outside, this ok? i know for doors it wouldnt be but for tailgates? because thats how its going to be from now on anyway as fitting an iternal release leaver and custom tailgate

Thanks for all replies

Wayne

marc69
05-04-14, 02:51 PM
I agree it is daft, especially as a mk2 has wrap around indicators but you have to go with the tester and if you reckon He'll be picky, just be prepared!

nova_niek
05-04-14, 03:28 PM
It seems very odd that it wasn't fitted with them from the factory, especially being a Mk 2 and a fairly late car, unless was destined for a non EU export.

Be interesting to know if the factory Mk2 wings are available/listed in EPC without side repeaters

The wires for side repeaters maybe present in the harness, but easy enough to runsome from the front.

Any Pics?

AFAIK all front wings Jeffrey and myself have brought over (from Germany) to the UK came without side repeater holes. This goes for both Mk1 and Mk2 front wings. Anyone from Euroland who can comment on this?

phunkynova
05-04-14, 04:14 PM
I don't think any of my Corsa A's Mk2 (1991 and 1993) have side repeaters.

Jack
06-04-14, 11:57 AM
I thought either pattern or genuine wings came without repeater holes, couldn't remember which way round it was

As for a Mk2, shouldn't be any need for them:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5.

However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Tailgate button - hmm. The MOT manual specifically states 'passenger door' when saying if it can be opened from outside, so its down to interpretation as to whether the tailgate is considered a passenger door. I would say not, as whilst it is a door of sorts, its not a passenger door.