PDA

View Full Version : track car and mot

jonn
30-03-14, 04:57 PM
i am building a c20let nova as a track car but i want to use it as a road car if i can get it through the mot its called the nct over here. with the following fitted will i have any problems going through the nct. i know it will be a bit different here than the uk but i want a rough idea.

polycarbon windows all round with front sliders.
6 point roll cage.
2 fixed bucket seats.
no cat convertor, it is a 1993 nova.
i might fit a fiberglass bootlid with the 4 bonnet pins to hold it shut.
removing the bonnet cable and bonnet catch. it will have aero catches fitted.

also while i am here would there be much weight saved by fitting a fiberglass bootlid and bonnet? i cant make my mind up if they are worth the money or not.

dgbnova#1
30-03-14, 05:09 PM
Only prob I see is the cat but if you can get emissions down to correct for car with a race let your gona be lucky

catches etc will be fine kit cars get mots there buttoned up like that windows have nothing to do with mot unless you cannot see out or cracked screen not a clue so Irish mot but I do know that lads get 12months over here then take over cars as it's more lax over here

fiberglass I'd always a good thing and far lighter

dgbnova#1
30-03-14, 05:11 PM
Find a young tester not sure 20stone 50 year old tester gona want to climb into your buckets and remove door bars or just drivers if you can to make it easyer to get in

8valve-craig
30-03-14, 05:34 PM
Talk to the tester before you book it in. Make sure he wont fail it for not having a seat which locks into 2 positions.

turbojolt
30-03-14, 05:40 PM
I don't think front pollycarbs are legal

8valve-craig
30-03-14, 05:54 PM
Sides are, windscreen isn't.

turbojolt
30-03-14, 06:13 PM
didn't even know you could get a polly windscreen

8valve-craig
30-03-14, 06:16 PM
ACW are doing them. Dan has one in his Sport replica.

phunkynova
30-03-14, 06:17 PM
One thing I don't understand is why use a Nova/Corsa A as a base for a track car, I understand it using them for rally cars as they a short, light and nibble but on a race track you need a more stable car ie wider and longer.
But to answer you question as for the engine I do not know what you are aloud to do there in Ireland but as long as all the other mods are similar to a rally car it should be OK.

jonn
30-03-14, 07:07 PM
this will be getting the full whack, rose joint front end, wide arched so wider track. i watch rallycross over here a good bit as the track is about 1 hour from me i have seen big spec 300bhp xe novas eat up evos and subarus. with money and the right setup a lot of things are possible.

looks like i wont run into to much problems. i think i will stay going the way it is so and when the time comes see what they have to say.

dgbnova#1
30-03-14, 08:19 PM
Not sure any mot place will test full rose joint setup that's for sure

jonn
30-03-14, 11:41 PM
ah ok, it might not see the road after all. i will have to wait and see!

8valve-craig
31-03-14, 12:20 AM
Why do you say that rose jointed arms and tie bars won't pass? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

dgbnova#1
31-03-14, 12:42 AM
Not sure exactly but there sold as not road legal iirc prob due to road conditions I'd think but I'm happy to be corrected

chris gsi
01-04-14, 07:34 AM
Having the rose jointed arms a tester unfamiliar with them might fail as they have no dust covers as ball joint/track rods need dust boots but as rose joints are designed with out them it's a pass, as for emission it's tested what's ever older engine or car.

turbojolt
02-04-14, 09:58 PM
if dust covers is the only problem then these might help http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/rose-joint-boot