PDA

View Full Version : major understeer/oversteer problems!

reevie1987
30-03-14, 04:41 PM
still having problems with my stering after putting coilovers on my car! now the tracking and camber still needs properly setting up with special equipment has anybody mobile got this equipment and come round to my house and do it? saves me messing around hireing a trailer and taking it somewhere plus dont really want to buy the equipment either! can any1 help?

Stuart
30-03-14, 05:50 PM
http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Geo_Alignment_Rig_(Home_Made)

Use that as inspiration for string and measuring etc. it's really not hard to do, just time consuming.

mowgli
30-03-14, 06:08 PM
tracking can be sorted by using a tape measure to a good enough standard to get it to a decent tyre place, simply make it measure the same front to back...you might need to improvise by putting some parallel markings/strips of wood on the floor either side of the car, but its doable

camber can be done with a camber gauge spirit level thing off ebay.

Johnny A
30-03-14, 06:51 PM
I do it by eye, have done for years. Back in the early TVR days they used long lengths of wood that would butt up to the front and rear alloy rims when correctly aligned

craig green
31-03-14, 10:26 PM
Does the fr & rear suspension match? Brands & specs.

When my old GSi had chronic handling issues it was because I had regular KONI's upfront & Coilovers at the rear. The difference in spring ratings & damping literally made it scary as hell at above 50mph on A roads, even in a straight line. A full set of GAZ's later & it was the best handling Nova I've had.

brainsnova
31-03-14, 10:37 PM
I jack up both side on the bottom ball joints so the suspension is technically how it sits on the ground then level the car by adjusting the 2 jacks then you can put a level on the brake disc centre face to set the camber to bang on plum

reevie1987
05-04-14, 08:59 PM
I jack up both side on the bottom ball joints so the suspension is technically how it sits on the ground then level the car by adjusting the 2 jacks then you can put a level on the brake disc centre face to set the camber to bang on plum

still haveing problems tryed everything but yet when you turn the stering wheel it still goes straight on then you have got to turn the wheel that bit more to get it to turn! got a quote from a garage near me who specalisers in track prep work so going to take it there for the best!