PDA

View Full Version : RC cars

L33 LEG
24-03-14, 10:36 AM
RC cars, what do you know?

Haven't touched one since I was about 14 or so, I want to get into them again. Used to race them at a local mill and had loads of fun apart from then the batteries were crap and cars were pretty slow.

What do I need to look out for? A few years ago I was watching some old mates with one which was buzzing around the streets as fast as cars Lol.

Is a Tamiya still the ones to get? Can you put the newer stuff into the old cars? Is it just a case of buying whatever battery and motors they use now?

Any links to ones for sale will be appreciated :)

craig green
24-03-14, 01:45 PM
Though Tamiya stuff is easy to build & very realistic looking, you have to go (pay) right into the top stuff to have anything competitive or genuinely good.

Kyosho & Scumacher buggies get my vote as do HPi kits.

L33 LEG
24-03-14, 01:57 PM
It doesn't have to be cooperative, I mainly want a half decent battery life. I'll have a look at them and see what's what. Just want to build a decent car that I can have a laugh with really.

bazil
24-03-14, 02:22 PM
I bought a Kyosho engine driven one years ago,, still works well and I get about 20 mins to a tank of fuel,

I never could live with the idea of charging batteries

ouncie
24-03-14, 02:54 PM
I used to have a Kyosho kit years ago that my uncle gave me. I haven't messed about with rc cars though in a few years, kind of lost interest. Batteries have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. I fly nitro heli's now and have notices a considerable difference in battery life in the last couple of years. There are a lot of guys opting for brushless motors now too over engines and there on par with the nitro's. I presume it would be similar for the rc car enthusiasts too.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__300__300__Cars_Parts.html?gclid=CJj5-ee2q70CFWJ22wodakcAHQ - I'ver used this site for heli bits but loads of car stuff there too. They have a UK warehouse now too.

Stuart
24-03-14, 03:06 PM
I had a nitro 1/10th on-road car.. it was fast, it was a giggle but finding anywhere to use it without someone complaining was nigh on impossible and also everytime I took it out I'd do about £30 of damage due to nowhere being flat enough etc.

Then got an HPI Savage, 80% as fast as the on-roader (which was a huge surprise) and I only ever did £10 of damage in all the time I used it, jumping off 1/2 and 1/4 pipes etc, hooning over fields and all sorts.
Now stuff looks to have moved on a little more and electric is more popular again as lipo is about. Batteries are much better and cheaper so having enough to do an hour is easy etc.

craig green
24-03-14, 03:11 PM
I've only ever had electric RC cars. I like to have it as an ornament in the house when not in use, nitro cars stink ruling that out.
Battery life comes down to the charger & spec of batteries & the spec of motor. It's all getting a bit advanced when you can pay far more for a top-spec battery & digital charger than what an entry level complete car costs.

My 1st car was a Mardave Meteor buggy, british built & utterly bombproof. Next up I had a Tamiya mud Blaster (monster truck) which is the same chassis as the Monster Beetle & Blackfoot trucks, quite advanced but incredibly plasticky & fragile looking back on it. I then got a HPi Rally when I was at Uni (99). This was more inkeeping with new trend of touring cars & rally cars. These are good but ultimately for flat terrain as opposed to the buggies or Monster Trucks which can jump & do rougher stuff.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-04-14, 11:51 PM
I had a kyosho landmax years ago. that thing was on steroids, it did 45 mph! cost a fortune tho, even back then.

it did zero turning circle, stationary doughnuts, and pissed smoke off its tyres on long drifts.

I took the front driveshafts out one time to try it RWD, and it was all over the bloody place, uncontrollable, too much power for the back wheels alone. good fun that was.

millworm
03-04-14, 12:02 AM
I have a thunder tiger 4wd nitro rally car and it's a right laugh, but has to be a flat surface. Tesco car park on a Sunday once it's closed is best

pie
03-04-14, 12:10 AM
I got a tto1 chassis for carpark fun and a AE TC6 carbon indoor racer good fun been doing it years now lol

jimbob-mcgrew
11-04-14, 08:36 AM
how much do these go for nowadays lee ?

years ago, my old kyosho cost me £700 all in. bloody fortune that was ! ... silly money

wouldn't mind getting another someday if there more affordable now.

Mazz
13-04-14, 10:51 AM
All depends what you want to do tbh, racing around the streets gets boring

For cheap, competitlve racing look into the Schumacher Supastox, its the best car i've raced in the last 20 years - cheap, cheerful and competitive..

Plug
13-04-14, 10:55 AM
i started racing last year, bought a losi 8 eu was a beast, many an upgrade on it too, wouldnt sell cause i know i'd loose out on it,

Bashing round fields, golf courses is fun mind every once in a while, but if youve raced it isnt anymore lol,

Mines sat collecting dust at the minute as the closes place to race is swindon to me which is like a 2h drive and your ment to be there at 8 on a sunday morning, **** that lol,

Still expensive to by mind, look on ebay or Maxbashing.com for 2nd hand ones

TeddyThom
13-04-14, 01:04 PM
I have a Kyosho Inferno. My first nitro car. Bloody thing was so much fun! I used to take it off roading down my local park, gets a little hairy when you stray too near the lake though! Then I did something a little silly and stripped the teeth of the diff cog because I was running it for too long and the cog is plastic. Haven't replaced the diff yet, but when I do it's gonna be awesome down the park! Need to find a range killer though....

Plug
13-04-14, 01:44 PM
Teddy Unsure on kyosho's but ive been on an MP4 i think might be wrong with these in, and i got them for my Losi,

But try and get a Smart diff's amazing pieces of kit !!