PDA

View Full Version : Vss speed sensor! Info needed!!

samb12
22-03-14, 01:23 AM
I have a c16xe with a powerbox fitted, it stalls at lights and i think I'm missing a speed sensor as car drives awesome when its going. I've searched and asked before but i carnt find what I'm after

My car is using the original mk1 basic clocks and has a 5 speed gearbox but I'm unsure which, is it a AA vss sensor that I need for the c16xe i need and does anyone know what I need to do to connect it in??? Any help would be awesome as I want it sorting!

or what could I be looking at to answer my questions?

regards
sam

jimbob-mcgrew
22-03-14, 05:19 AM
yep AA is 6 pulse, the one you need.

the speed sensor screws into the gearbox, where your speedo cable goes, and then the speedo cable screws in ontop of the sensor.

the speed sensor has 3 wires :

blue/red - connects to pin #6 (blue/red wire) of the transponder ring
black wire - needs to be connected to +12 ignition live (black wire from ignition barrel or other switched live)
brown wire - needs to be grounded to the body or negative on the battery

there are 2 types of speed sensor, mechanical and electrical.

the electrical ones send the pulses from the gearbox to the clocks, which operate the speedo electronically, and then re-send the pulse to the transponder.
the mechanical one that you need is wired straight from the gearbox to the transponder ring, and then your speedo cable screws into the top of it, and operates in its normal mechanical way.
I understand that the electrical ones can be wired up the same way as the mechanical ones, to stop the engine from stalling when you stop, but as they don't have a port for the speedo cable, the speedo wont work unfortunately (better than it stalling tho right !)

I have heard of other systems that use a signal from the abs sensors on the wheel hub, that work in a similar way, but I don't think any nova's came out the factory with abs, so kind of irrelevant unless a systems been added in after to hook into.

hope that helps :thumb:

deneil_gsi2000
22-03-14, 07:48 AM
I have replied to your wanted ad bud I have a spare aa here for sale

samb12
22-03-14, 08:31 AM
Jimbob, thank you for taking the time to explain. Couldn't have asked for a better answer!