PDA

View Full Version : 'Ideal' Engine for my Rally Car!

dionbee
13-03-14, 04:16 PM
Hi folks, a quick question as to options/possibilities for my engine for next year's road rally season! I'm after about 90-100bhp and a fair amount of torque.

decided to build a 1600 8v to a decent spec. (Rules state no twin carb setups)

what would you say the ideal spec would be for my motor? It will be coupled with my Quaife straight cut F13 CR gearkit and Quaife ATB LSD and hopefully a 4.5 cwp by then. (Currently 4.3)

any links to products, solid lifters and double valve springs especially as i'm having trouble finding them on the net.

Thinking of a newman cam. Seem to be the best option at the moment.

Looking to spend no more than £800-£1000 max incl. set-up and rolling road

**Basically a rev happy, fairly powerful and RELIABLE engine! :)

Dion

Connor
13-03-14, 04:25 PM
Hi Pm Philip (>CLICKY< (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/member.php?15146-philip)) off here, he can spec you up a nice engine. Those 1600 8v's are decent engines, and you should easily get over 100bhp. He's not far from you either :thumb:

dionbee
13-03-14, 04:43 PM
Forgot to mention, parts / spec i'm after. the engine will be built here! :)

Dion

dgbnova#1
13-03-14, 05:07 PM
As Connor said Phil's the man he was I'm mold but now just outside wrexham he's well worth speaking to even if it's just to get ideas / parts I think he's building or in line to build quite a few motors for the members I know of 2 for sure and if I ever get on with doing engines instead of bloody shells he's were I'm going

dionbee
13-03-14, 06:49 PM
Just sent over a PM to phillip now, anyone else got any input on this?

Dion

dgbnova#1
13-03-14, 07:14 PM
Sorry mate not my strong point but I work on the rule you get what you pay for so work out your budget and try build with reliability in mind as most race motors don't last long so if it's built to last will be far better £S spent IMO

phunkynova
13-03-14, 09:07 PM
Autosprint in Birmingham do some good parts I use a few on my rally car

http://www.autosprint.co.uk/?p=p_41

dionbee
13-03-14, 09:20 PM
Where is the best place for solid lifters for a 1600 8v?

Dion

philip
14-03-14, 07:05 AM
Newman. Can sort you cam, solids, spring kit not a problem. ;)

mowgli
14-03-14, 07:18 AM
find out if you can use factory efi, and if any piggyback/mappable ecu is allowed

dionbee
14-03-14, 11:36 AM
Mowgli, i have an Emerald Mappable ecu and Loom etc. here but for this build I'm going to be running it on a single 40 sidedraught with a Bogg Brothers Manifold hopefully.

I just prefer a carb over the injection system for some reason.

Cheers for the help upto now, any other ideas etc. welcomed

Dion!

meritlover
14-03-14, 11:46 AM
OE engine and inlet manifold with Emerald on speed-density.
just swap the TPS for a pot and wire it straight in.

_Jake
14-03-14, 01:06 PM

^ what he said, more scope for future mods. i have an e16se inlet here if you need it. had a fuuuuuucking long chat with philip the other night he will sort you out :)

dgbnova#1
14-03-14, 01:29 PM
Can you explain this a bit more and the gains please just out of interest as does not mean a lot to me