PDA

View Full Version : front wheel alinement problem!

reevie1987
09-03-14, 09:41 AM
i have put a set of budget coilovers on my mk2 xe nova, i have dropped the front ones to 100mm and it has knocked my tracking, castor and camber out both wheels are pointing inwards at the bottom and outwards at the top, i did a trackday at cadwell yesterday and the marshalls said it was skipping round the corners and it has scrubbed my tyres out, what solutions do people have to cure the problem would just changing the tracking cure the issue? hope you guys can help many thanks

marc69
09-03-14, 09:53 AM
do the coilovers not have camber adjustment? (an elongated hole at the bottom where it meets the hub). The castor is either affected by this or the mount above the top of the spring is not aligned properly. The tracking will need checked anyway, but not until you have set everything else.

mowgli
09-03-14, 10:00 AM
if you adjust any aspect of your suspension geometry, it will affect tracking, and camber. and will need sorting.

either get really friendly with a local tyre place, to get cheap alignments done, or invest in some alignment stuff. I think iainel bought a camber checker off eBay & it worked ok

castor will most likely not be changed unless you use eccentric top mounts.

marc69
09-03-14, 04:44 PM
I got the camber checker off ebay aswell and you can buy different tracking devices, laser and drive over ones but the first thing you need to do is look closely at the front suspension and exactly how it is fitted, see if any adjustments can be made, if not you might have to use a drill to widen a hole. My coilover struts are FK and the top hole at the hub is elongated to allow for camber changes. I went for 1 degree negative but I think alot of folk go to 1 and a half.

reevie1987
09-03-14, 06:04 PM
I got the camber checker off ebay aswell and you can buy different tracking devices, laser and drive over ones but the first thing you need to do is look closely at the front suspension and exactly how it is fitted, see if any adjustments can be made, if not you might have to use a drill to widen a hole. My coilover struts are FK and the top hole at the hub is elongated to allow for camber changes. I went for 1 degree negative but I think alot of folk go to 1 and a half.

your right mate the top hole at the hub is elongated to allow camber change mine was all the way forward put it right now many thanks

Johnny A
09-03-14, 07:38 PM
So you fitted coilovers, wound them down to 100mm, not adjusted anything and put it on a track?