PDA

View Full Version : Poly Exhaust hangers

Connor
05-03-14, 03:43 PM
I have heard many mixed reviews on these, after a set of exhaust rubbers as mine are corroded and on their last legs,
people have told me either they love there's and worth the (little bit more) money, and others said they are cr4p and don't last very long and have resorted going back to oem rubber hangers.
Any advice/experience?
Ones in question are the flo-flex ones on ebay :)

Thanks

Calamity Josh
05-03-14, 06:22 PM
Middle ones are a ballache to fit or were for me, but they seem fine :)

paul james
05-03-14, 06:26 PM
The problem is that they have very little stretch in them, which is the point when using poly bushes for suspension, but isn't ideal for actually fitting an exhaust. The rear box one is a tight fit but manageable, but I couldn't use both of the midsection hanger bushes together because there wasn't enough movement in them to get them in place, so I've used standard rubber bushes there instead.

Edd
05-03-14, 06:48 PM
I've got Floflex ones on the middle box and rubber on the backbox

The whole car vibrated with the poly one on the back box

Pistol Pete
05-03-14, 07:15 PM
I gave up with the floflex ones. Royal pain in the ass to fit!

Southie
05-03-14, 07:40 PM
I had the orange flow flex ones and they were extremely tight, they didn't move on the hangers but I had solid engine mounts fitted so there wasn't much movement anyway.

Without the solid mounts I reckon they'd have made a knocking noise somewhere tbh.

Id be getting just standard ones, they do the job fine for what they do.

blue_peg_16v
05-03-14, 08:42 PM
New standard is best bet IMO why on earth you would want to stiffen up your exhaust is beyond me if you have a flexi joint it will just ware quicker due to engine movement and if you don't your exhaust is just more likely to crack for the same reason

Southie
05-03-14, 08:45 PM
New standard is best bet IMO why on earth you would want to stiffen up your exhaust is beyond me if you have a flexi joint it will just ware quicker due to engine movement and if you don't your exhaust is just more likely to crack for the same reason
That's my reckoning Rich, I'd only got them on my old one so the stiffness from engine was all the way through so not to get the opposite effect where my engine being solid would flex the exhaust with rattling more.

Dan Stanley
05-03-14, 09:08 PM
I bought one to stop my exhaust moving topo much and hitting the underneath of the car, it worked well. It was a posh yellow one, power flex or something.
However, when I transferred it onto my saloon, it melted half way througth a track day. It seems they really cant take the heat. Wouldnt bother with them again,

Mike
05-03-14, 09:10 PM
Not worth the money. And definetly not worth the ball ache to fit them!!

Ive fitted many, to many many different makes/models of cars. Most of which the centre section ones a funking mare. You think Nova centre ones are bad, try doing an M3 :/

Connor
06-03-14, 09:32 AM
This is only relaying exactly what i've heard previously, they are for a rally car and seemed like a decent oppertunity to upgrade. Although i think the oem rubbers would be more suitable for my application. Thanks for the tips guys!!

Iain
06-03-14, 10:19 AM
I've got one on the backbox which I am happy with

I had the two middle hangers (Rallydesign orange ones) and on a trackday they melted through leaving no support on the centre. Replaced them with further uprated items (Rallydesign red ones) and they did exactly the same. Now on standard in the middle and not looknig to try poly again