PDA

View Full Version : Can you get nova to handle?

Laurie1974
01-03-14, 02:08 PM
As above. When I had one in my youth - it ended up on its roof. Then I turned to 205 gti's. Then been a vag devotee since. Fancying buying an old sr for the nostalgia. Maybe subtly modding it.

phunkynova
01-03-14, 03:07 PM
The answer is Yes and the more money you spend the better it will handle.
A good after market suspension will be needed a small degree of lowering but not to much and a good set of tires.

_Jake
01-03-14, 07:13 PM
im in process, i'll let you know if it ends up on its roof

mowgli
01-03-14, 09:53 PM
novas handle really well.

new rubber bushes, decent springs & dampers & possibly ARB's with some good rubber & even the lowest power nova will make you laugh when driving it.

Andy
02-03-14, 10:31 AM
It will never be a 205 gti but they can still hold their own when setup right

Pistol Pete
02-03-14, 10:43 AM

What Andy said.

I have owned a 205 1.9 GTi. IMO one of the better handling cars i have owned!!

My Nova handles ok i think. lol and thats with the massive big block that makes them automatic ditch finders!!!

Check out the videos of it round castle combe.

I have Gaz coilovers, new bushes all round and half decent tyres. That said, i am well aware of getting too excited will mean piss poor handling!

chrisd1986
02-03-14, 11:18 AM
Coilovers are the way forward, ive driven a nova with them on and are far better than just lowered on springs same as my mk2 golf gti when I put coilovers on it was like it was on rails in the wet

Edd
02-03-14, 11:59 AM

I would be glad it's not a 205 GTI!!!! Terrible handling cars imo, the rear is always loose on them things

Scottcooper85
02-03-14, 01:34 PM
I think you can get all old hot hatches handling pretty good with the right suspension etc. I think rolling them over is more down to the person sat in the driving seat.

Pistol Pete
02-03-14, 02:27 PM
I would be glad it's not a 205 GTI!!!! Terrible handling cars imo, the rear is always loose on them things

So its not just Fords you hate with a passion then lol

And as for the loose rear.....lift off over steer. Brings out the worst in all drivers ;):p

phunkynova
02-03-14, 03:56 PM
The 205 was a good car on smooth surface roads but did have a problem with the rear suspension on bumpy roads I've seen so many 205 rally cars just bounce off the road dew to the rear setup sending the back end of the car into a fit.

Edd
02-03-14, 04:15 PM
So its not just Fords you hate with a passion then lol

And as for the loose rear.....lift off over steer. Brings out the worst in all drivers ;):p

lol I do like 205's, a good friend had one for years, nice looking cars

Just don't like the rear handling issues, or working on them lol

Dan Stanley
02-03-14, 04:47 PM
Dont forget to get the wheel alignment sorted. Camber bolts or adjustable top mounts can help get a good set up. A secondary rear ARB made a big difference to my saloon. Strut braces should help. Sticky tires are worth every penny also.
This site is good for finding all the little tricks to help the car handle, once you've done all the obvious things.

L14MNP
02-03-14, 05:35 PM
Seeing as this has turned into a car comparison thread, at least compare standard v standard. lol

Pistol Pete
02-03-14, 06:39 PM
Ok.....I have owned a 205 (remained standard, couldn't afford to modify it) and my first nova was standard for a while. The 205 would have wiped the floor with it. IMO the torsion bar setup is underrated. Was still used on the saxo, 106 etc and they clearly handle well as standard.

Andy
02-03-14, 07:51 PM
they bounce all over due to incorrect torsion bar settings.

Laurie1974
02-03-14, 08:16 PM
So it's looking like a yes. That's good news. Still not found a nova yet, but on the lookout. Once I get one the modifications will begin and I shall be asking all your advice again.

turbojolt
02-03-14, 08:30 PM
you can pollybush a whole nova for 1.99p if you go to rally designs

craig green
02-03-14, 10:40 PM
Smallblock 16v, coilovers, diff & strut brace. Sorted.
Obv don't neglect bushes & tyres which is as much about maintenance imo.

Mieran
02-03-14, 10:42 PM
The answer is yes but you need wider track ime.

MiniManDan118
18-03-14, 01:06 AM
Dont forget the rear ARB to stiffen it up. Front ARBs are an age old debate but personally stiffer springs and no front ARB is my preference. Let the front have a little more roll angle and find the grip rather than pulling the inside front wheel up. Stiffer rear end will be a looser rear end though, a la 205!

Calamity Josh
19-03-14, 09:49 PM
Dont forget the rear ARB to stiffen it up. Front ARBs are an age old debate but personally stiffer springs and no front ARB is my preference. Let the front have a little more roll angle and find the grip rather than pulling the inside front wheel up. Stiffer rear end will be a looser rear end though, a la 205!

i found this with mine, i fitted arbs all round, understeered like a pig, took the front off and now you can stay propperly committed :)!