PDA

View Full Version : cheap ebay coilovers any good?

steve1434
25-02-14, 12:28 PM
Good afternoon all.

My SRi has a -60mm lowering kit with blistein shocks and springs - they are good on smooth roads and tracks but very crashy and firm for normal roads.

Are these cheap coilovers going to be more comfortable? I am not after track style handling as the car is a daily drive and I am not going to be street racing etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COILOVER-VAUXHALL-CORSA-A-NOVA-ADJUSTABLE-SUSPENSION-/251436191090?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a8ac3cd72

Daveo
25-02-14, 02:28 PM
Depends how low you go with the coilovers. The ride will lost likely not be much better than what you have atm. The cheap ones are famous for being back breaking if you go too low

dgbnova#1
25-02-14, 02:49 PM
Just change for smother shocks and springs coilovers not designed for any smother setups

Benn
25-02-14, 02:54 PM
If you can save, save up and buy the best ones you can afford.

The better the kit the better the ride.
Mines hard, but not that bad. Better than cheap shock and spring set ups.

L33 LEG
25-02-14, 02:59 PM
How much do you want for the 60mm bilsteins?

jimbob-mcgrew
25-02-14, 03:43 PM
are yours the B8 bilstein yellows ?

B4 bilstein blacks are maybe what your looking for ? ... there 20% stiffer than normal GM. ive heard people say there good in the comfort department.
I cant remember which springs they pair them with. I think it was -30mm eibach.

most people say the cheap coilovers are pants

steve1434
25-02-14, 04:40 PM
I thought it would he the case that they are pants. I am not after lowering it more than what it already is as I will be putting standard SRi steel wheels back on. The rears feel fine compared to the ride of the front, but I guess there is no weight back there.

I agree about buying the best you can afford and I will be doing that with my other nova project, but the SRi will be going back to stock appearance but keeping the bigger brakes (if they fit under the steels) and ride a bit lower.

I would like my car to absorb bumps rather than get air over them.

Anyone have any recommendations on what fronts to use? Have £200 to play with plus whatever I could get for my current setup

Cheers all

steve1434
25-02-14, 04:41 PM
Jimbob - they are not yellow, but dirty dark blue or black, will jack her up tomorrow and see what they are exactly mate

craig green
25-02-14, 11:32 PM
Most coilovers on a street car get a hard time because the owners slam them down onto the bumpstops, this kills the dampers, you don't barely experience any spring effect or even damping from the suspension in that case, just the bump stops & tyre rubber. I can't vouch for all cheap coilovers, but I would guess they ride Ok when driven within the sensible operating perameters.

Personally I would avoid Bilstein Blacks like the plague. Over the years the most expensive lesson I've learnt with Novas is to buy the best suspension brand you can afford.

steve1434
26-02-14, 07:14 PM
Haha I have Bilstein blacks......will see what I can find to make it a more comfortable ride, perhaps some decent sound deadening throughout the car would make it sound less crashy....

BRoadGhost
26-02-14, 08:39 PM
Get some with remote chambers; then you'll know what quality is ;o

steve1434
27-02-14, 09:17 AM
Haha at four times the value of the car lol

Might have to invest in some OE kit if I want OE comfort with some progressively wound 30mm springs

Benn
27-02-14, 10:19 AM
I think a bit of a stiffer ride is better. No one wants a boat in high seas like ride.

steve1434
27-02-14, 12:59 PM
If you prefer it fair enough mate, roads round my way are proper pants, I must double my annual mileage trying to dodge all the craters!!!

As I am going back to standard wheels I don't need a massive drop, and the taller tyres will help ride quality also. So I reckon a 30-40mm drop will achieve the look I want without losing my teeth

craig green
27-02-14, 09:45 PM
You want Eibach or Koni springs if you can find them. I had Konis on ine before the coilovers & it handled nicely, I wanted it lower hence the GAZ's eventually.

L33 LEG
28-02-14, 01:33 PM
For comfort I'd get brand new standard shocks on 30mm Eibach springs. IMO though a nova should always have a decent uprated set up on but sounds like you're after a standard look and feel.

steve1434
28-02-14, 04:05 PM
I have heard good things about the eibach springs, will look into them. I agree that all novas should have upgraded suspension too - dilemmas.......I wish you could try before you buy haha

steve1434
03-03-14, 08:56 PM
The shocks I have are the Vre-4090 which are only a 20% uprating, but when I jacked the car up the springs were a good couple cm free from the top mount and very loose, is this normal for a 60mm drop?

Benn
04-03-14, 08:12 AM
Yes.