PDA

View Full Version : open pit lane begginer trackday - rules & regulations

jimbob-mcgrew
23-02-14, 10:06 AM
struggling to find info online about what the minimum requirements for one of these days out is.
I rang brands hatch yesterday to try find out, but there trackday guys wernt about to answer questions.

ive heard various people say various different things, from not needing much at all, to needing an mot/insurance and a bunch of mandatory electricals on the car.

can anyone can shed some light please ? (brands hatch in particular if it makes any difference)

cheers :thumb:

Southie
23-02-14, 10:18 AM
This maybe of some use to you:
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car-home/faq.aspx

Hobbit
23-02-14, 10:37 AM
I've not had mot or insurance checked. You'll need working lights, brake lights and indicators as a minimum, so other track users can see what you're doing.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-02-14, 10:48 AM
cheers southie.
Ive seen that page before when a mate of mine was scanning the net, altho he ripped thru everything at 200 mph and I didn't get a proper look.

im unsure of this bit, mot or not :

######################
" Vehicle RequirementsThe vehicle you intend to use must conform to MOT minimum standards for road use (in the case of road cars), or MSA current safety and silencing regulations. It must be in good condition both mechanically and bodily and suitable for its intended use on the track. It is your duty to ensure that the vehicle remains in this condition for the duration of the activity, in the interests of your safety and the safety of others at the circuit. "
######################

.. its a bit vague, it doesn't state your car HAS to have an mot, but it does say it needs to conform to the minimum spec. (im confused)

apart from that the rest makes good sense... helmet, full car licence, long sleeved/legged clothes, sign a death waiver, no dugs, no craziness, no cherry bombs.

nice once :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
23-02-14, 10:50 AM
I've not had mot or insurance checked. You'll need working lights, brake lights and indicators as a minimum, so other track users can see what you're doing.

oh really hobbit ? .. that's good to hear.

like an idiot I tore out the indicators and hazards... so it looks like im gonna have to try and figure out how to re-wire that back in

Hobbit
23-02-14, 11:26 AM
It needs to be mot standard but doesn't need an actual mot.

rich a
23-02-14, 02:35 PM
Hi jimbob ive done a few never been asked for mot or insurance but normaly you need to have a front and rear towing eye in place ( so they can drag ya ass outa the kitty litter ) also they require you to tape your lights up ie like a cross of tape over them so if the glass breaks it doesn't fall all over the track. also snetterton where I go they don't allow timeing gear and normally its overtaking on the left on the straights an no overtaking through bends hope that's some help ps if its your road car and has insurance either remove the number plates or tape over them as some insurance companys like to look on the tracks web site at photos taken on the day an than void your insurance .

dc1984
23-02-14, 02:45 PM
No overtaking on bends,
All lights must be working,
No leaks from under the car... Oil/ coolant (for obvious reasons)
Car should be upto atleast mot standards. Some tracks may ask for valid certificate or ask to check the car (normally if it looks like someone has brought a scrap car)
if its a road legal car I would remove plates before traveling to the track as insurance check everywhere now if they can get out of paying in the event of an accident, whatever you do please don't post pics of your car on track on Facebook or other social media sites as they are the first place insurance companies check ;)

hope some of that helps

jimbob-mcgrew
23-02-14, 02:50 PM
cheers rich. yeah that helps thanks :thumb:
I think brands hatch is the same, no stopwatches, etc. they mentioned about pics & filming too, only for personal private use.

kitty litter lol - it looks just like it doesn't it.
I bet there's cat turds in a few corners :)

jimbob-mcgrew
23-02-14, 02:52 PM
cheers for the heads up DC - cover your ass like.

good shout :thumb:

dc1984
23-02-14, 03:29 PM
Better safe than sorry mate ;)

Jack
23-02-14, 03:39 PM
I bet there's cat turds in a few corners :)
Probably plenty of driver turds too lol