PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack bearing replacement + headlight surround

jeremy fisher
18-02-14, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I am building a budget quick rack and want to replace the bearings while I'm at it. I have the larger bearing from the input shaft, but am having trouble finding the smaller one that sits at the bottom and has one end closed off. The bearing is marked with INA FC65366. I have a terrible feeling that I saw a post saying that it was no longer available. I contacted a local bearing supplier and they said that they couldn't help as it is an automotive special. Does anyone know if they are available and if so where from? Or any ideas of where to try? I have googled the part number and emailed the company that comes up (noc in the Ukraine) but have no reply as yet and am a little hesitant to order from the Ukraine if it is possible.
Also, does anyone know if the headlight surround repair panels are still available? I am having trouble locating one.

Thanks

Nick

craig green
18-02-14, 09:19 PM
I think I recall something about a vital component for racks not being available in a previous discussion.

Do you mean the end side of an upper front panel? Could always cut it from a donor if you can't source the panel, they don't all rot out.

jeremy fisher
19-02-14, 10:37 AM
I can get the bearing from the Ukraine but I may have to order a few, anyone else want one?!
Yeah, the bit that the headlight sits into and part of the wing rests on. You could definately get them as a repair panel, I've seen a few on eBay in the past, but now I want one I can't find one.
Anyone have a solid one that isn't required?

Thanks

Nick

craig green
19-02-14, 05:26 PM
Yeah I know they were a panel option, it always baffled me why someone would would spend all the effort to weld it in flush etc, when replacing the full upper fr panel makes the job easier, the only downside being you have to remove both wings instead of one.

Whats the price on the bearing?

jeremy fisher
20-02-14, 12:42 PM
Hmm, so you reckon a full front panel would be easier? I have the other wing off anyway so that's not a problem. I might have to look into that.
Price on bearings is 11.90 (euros) per bearing plus postage (which I haven't been told yet) and a single 8 euro administration fee. So depending on quantity and how much they charge for postage it'll probably be around £13 each.

jeremy fisher
20-02-14, 06:24 PM
Any idea where to get a full upper front panel from? Can't find one of those either! Its almost as if Nova's are old now or something!?!?!?

craig green
24-02-14, 10:17 PM
Try a wanted ad on here for a panel, any joy with a search of panel suppliers on googel or similar?
I'm a bit out of the loop recently & I gather some panels are tricky to find, as pattern suppliers are no longer catering for Novas apparently.

As for it being easier, I've replaced an upper twice in the past. By my reckoning, seeing as both headlamps & the bonnet catch are all on 1 panel, its simpler to get that complete lot lined up than it would be to get 1 corner in line exactly with the remaining panel. My method is if you are trying to achieve a factory quality finish, as opposed to if you are chucking something together for banger racing.

jeremy fisher
26-02-14, 12:29 PM
I did an ad and got a reply with a link. I was looking for Mk1 and couldn't find any but it is easier to get a Mk2 panel and i understand that they are the same apart from hole locations for the grille and lights. I have now ordered a Mk2 part. I think I'll start by removing just the headlight surround and take it from there. May replace the whole panel if it is a decent one. I only really need the lower corner of one side and was going to try and make a piece to put in myself but decided it would be too complex. I'm going for the best finish I can but not expecting factory!Now emailing lots of bearing suppiers as the postage costs and charges for international money transfer make the one I was going to use VERY expensive. So far no joy though.Thanks

Craigy
03-03-14, 10:44 PM
http://www.carz2.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-83-93-front-panel-not-turbo-diesel-models-vx295adacn-53228-p.asp