PDA

View Full Version : twin su carbs on a nova?

turbojolt
14-02-14, 11:20 PM
has anyone ever ran twin su's on a small block nova before?

I know the autograss boys run single su carbs but ive never seen some one running two of them before

jimbob-mcgrew
15-02-14, 08:28 AM
do-able with a custom inlet I woulda thought ... ive seen quite a few old mini's running twin's on the 1275's

garyc
15-02-14, 01:49 PM
Would be a good set up for road rally IMHO. I would probably go with HIF38's although sorting the linkage may be tricky. On a class 2 Nova 1300 running through a single HIF44 and 32mm restrictor plate you are looking at 80BHP at the wheels.

turbojolt
15-02-14, 08:54 PM
Would be a good set up for road rally IMHO. I would probably go with HIF38's although sorting the linkage may be tricky. On a class 2 Nova 1300 running through a single HIF44 and 32mm restrictor plate you are looking at 80BHP at the wheels.

that's really good power! I only ask as you see su carbs all the time for around 100 quid in half decent condition...........so why doesn't anyone use them :tard:

mowgli
15-02-14, 09:26 PM
get a black & white telly too....

oh, and chuck one of your stereo speakers out whilst you are at it........

ffs tj, it is an awful mod... get some bike carbs or something like a twinchoke weber.. you'll get more power & better economy..

turbojolt
15-02-14, 09:50 PM
don't just throw out unconstructive comments justify your self, otherwise why bother :roll:

turbojolt
15-02-14, 09:58 PM
oooo wait you done that :P

dgbnova#1
15-02-14, 10:01 PM
Think there a bit old hat now tbh
ure gona need to build a manifold etc so bike carbs once set are a far better mod than what you are proposing

mowgli
15-02-14, 10:08 PM
su carbs are really tricky to get set up properly, when there is only one fitted.... so 2 will be murder to get right.

they are used on various classes of motorsport simply to restrict performance.

the twinchoke pierburg is actually good enough to power a much bigger engine than the 1.3.. my brother had a 1.8 caddy pickup (my 1st engine swap back in the olden days) and it had the exact same carb as the nova...

for your budget small engine project, bike carbs are probably the best route, cos you would have to make a manifold anyway.

dgbnova#1
15-02-14, 10:15 PM
My old sr 1.3 ran a modified 32/34 dmtr carb was as quick as my standard gte to a point for little money as I made the plate etc myself

_Jake
16-02-14, 01:13 AM
stop ****ing about and put some 40s on leigh!

turbojolt
16-02-14, 06:56 PM
geez guys it was a technical question you lot are going on like I kicked your dog! ha..

mowgli
17-02-14, 06:11 PM
the su was an outdated design in the 70's.. it has long been superceded by much newer, and certainly more reliable designs of carb.

if you want to fit some, by all means have a go, but it simply won't be a worthwhile financial proposition, let alone a performance one...

they worked on minis because minis only had 2 inlet ports, and basically, it is almost impossible to not find extra hp by bolting something onto an A series engine, cos they were pretty shonky in their original state.