PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Nova Plans?

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 06:24 AM
How many of you think you will still have your Nova's in 10 years time?

Does anyone plan to never sell?

Would be interesting to know who sees there car as a life long keeper and who is in for the short term.

Discuss

bazzap8389
12-02-14, 06:27 AM
I've had mine 8 years now, it was my first car and I can't see me ever selling it tbh. Defs a keeper :)

The plan now is to get it finished and start using it!

lee 16v
12-02-14, 07:58 AM
I hope to keep mine for as long as I can, in 10 years they will be a proper classic.

thedjse
12-02-14, 08:13 AM
I plan on keeping mine forever just constantly upgrade things until its a supercar eater lol

tommy8252
12-02-14, 08:19 AM
I've never planned to get rid of any of my novas but certain circumstances have cropped up meaning I had too.

Hopefully this one will be with me for a good while yet

Iain
12-02-14, 08:21 AM
I think mine will be upside down in the gravel on a track before 10 years time lol

Plug
12-02-14, 08:30 AM
I think mine will be upside down in the gravel on a track before 10 years time lol

Samre as this if not i'll still have it

Southie
12-02-14, 08:53 AM
I don't currently have one but in ten years I'll be nearly 50 :eek: so will have paid the mortgage and will be able to buy a Vintage Vauxhall Nova :d

bazil
12-02-14, 09:12 AM
I have had the silver gsi since 1999 and my gte since 1997, maybe in the next 10 years i might have started the rebuild on one of them but lets not get to carried away lol

turbojolt
12-02-14, 09:14 AM
I have already owned mine for 5 years, and with every year, ever month, every week, every day, every hour, every minute, ever second I hate it a little more if I ever kill myself you can guaranty it will be mentioned strongly in the suicide letter.

Iain
12-02-14, 09:34 AM
Can you leave it to me please? I'll leave it in my garden and never finish it as a fitting tribute to you

turbojolt
12-02-14, 09:35 AM
Can you leave it to me please? I'll leave it in my garden and never finish it as a fitting tribute to you

yes.

ouncie
12-02-14, 10:48 AM
I've had 3 over the years.

First one I sold as a mate begged me to sell it to him, he xe'd it and wrote it off after a few months :mad:.

The second one was stolen and burnt out which was a real shame as it had one lady owner and 38k from new when I bought it.

The one I have now (in my profile pic) I bought about a year ago and plans are to crack on with the restoration and keep it for the next 20 years but like a lot of builds on here progress is slow.

Benn
12-02-14, 11:55 AM
I've had mine for 10 years in March. So i'm sure that in 10 years i'll still have it. Sure by then i'll have another car tho..lol

maddogdaz666
12-02-14, 12:00 PM
I've never had a car as long as I've had the loon :) it's been over 2 years now and I'd like to think ill still have it in 10 years. I don't intend on selling it but everything has a price.

Benn
12-02-14, 12:08 PM
I don't intend on selling it but everything has a price.

No no, somethings dont.

chrisd1986
12-02-14, 12:12 PM
I.think once ive had mine painted and sorted out a few niggles I would keep it for as long as I can unless I had the opportunity to get a sport project thats if I dont kill myself in it 1st lol

Jack
12-02-14, 12:13 PM
Keep as-is for now, try the V8 in a year or two; if that fails or I just CBA, then the Nova will get chucked away in favour of something classic (as in properly classic, not 80's sh!tbox "classic" lmfao) and American.

No real plans to keep it long term, I expect if I've still got it in >3 years time it'll be because I'm just too lazy to sell it. It'll always be for sale for the right money, its just that money varies depending on how I feel at the time lol

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 12:14 PM
I've had mine for 10 years in March. So i'm sure that in 10 years i'll still have it. Sure by then i'll have another car tho..lol

10 Years - Gold Star for you :thumb: Good effort!

dgbnova#1
12-02-14, 12:28 PM
Lord knows what I will have in 10 years had my pickup for 11 years and only moved it to family but no long term plans at the min

Benn
12-02-14, 12:33 PM
10 Years - Gold Star for you :thumb: Good effort!

lol Thanks. When you have a proper project you keep it along time as you'll be working on it along time.

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 12:40 PM
lol Thanks. When you have a proper project you keep it along time as you'll be working on it along time.

I have had a few "Proper Projects" over the years but after travelling with work since 2005 I've not had a chance to ever solely focus on one - Hence why I get so much enjoyment from read all yours and staying plugged into the forums.

Nova00
12-02-14, 12:43 PM
There was no long term plans to keep when we bought the nova ... but on Sunday it will be 23 years owned

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 12:54 PM
I would imagine you own the "longest ownership" award ;)

Nova00
12-02-14, 12:56 PM
No !

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 01:02 PM
I was half expecting someone to shoot me down but that's quicker than expected :)

Connor
12-02-14, 01:20 PM
No no, somethings dont.
Totally agree!

There was no long term plans to keep when we bought the nova ... but on Sunday it will be 23 years owned
Jesus! Fairplay, couldnt see myself owning a car for long unless it had sentimental value, or if i chucked alot of time and money into it and knew that it wasn't worth much value(Like most cars when you modify them).

tommy8252
12-02-14, 01:40 PM
I have had a few "Proper Projects" over the years but after travelling with work since 2005 I've not had a chance to ever solely focus on one - Hence why I get so much enjoyment from read all yours and staying plugged into the forums.

I know that feeling, had my cav 18 months now and its moved 300 yards in that time and had minimal progress. Suspension change and some welding and wheel change. Lots of parts mounting up though. Hell it failed mot in march last year (all of a few boots and minor welding) and even that's not done.

I like to keep my novas on the road though so they've all been rolling projects I suppose.

Novasport
12-02-14, 02:31 PM
I have been into Nova's since 98 and the Sport shell project was the longest I have owned one at 5 years.
The Astra 888 was the car I kept the longest at 8 years. I said I would never sell it but an incredibly large offer made me part company with it. It is different with the Nova Sport, that will never be for sale.
Had the current and best Sport for four years this year and it is a definate keeper, so yes I will still have it in 10 years and beyond.
The Spider and Swing are keepers too. Really happy with my fleet so I cannot see me ever changing it unless it expands ;).

nova_niek
12-02-14, 03:23 PM
I don't currently have one but in ten years I'll be nearly 50 :eek: so will have paid the mortgage and will be able to buy a Vintage Vauxhall Nova :d
Afraid I'll be nearly 60 (!) in 10 years time... don't worry about it mate! :d

That puts you in the 10+ club. Quite a few of us are 10+ members surely? :thumb:

Bought my 1986 Red Shed on my birthday in 1991. 23 years ownership - shake hands! :cool:
Bought the (1991) GSi on my birthday in 1998 so that makes it a measly 16 years ownership.

I have had the silver gsi since 1999 and my gte since 1997, maybe in the next 10 years i might have started the rebuild on one of them but lets not get to carried away lol
Same here - plenty of projects going on, not enough funds to even get started. I will however get things going within the next 10 years. Hopefully. (the GSi has been gathering dust since 2002 so who knows...) ;)

Which pretty much sums up what I do - read and enjoy other people's projects. :)

raymond
12-02-14, 03:26 PM
Not got a nova that ive kept for a while 2 years plus usually

But ive a s2 rallye that has been in my ownership for 9 years and plan on keeping it for the next ten

scott.parker
12-02-14, 04:04 PM
My mk1 is to me a keeper for as long as i can, although i will admit if i saw a Jamaica yellow SR for sale tomorrow and thought i could sell mine for good money tomorrow it would be gone and replaced by the SR version...
I do for some reason keep getting the urge for another mk2 xe lol

cossienova
12-02-14, 04:32 PM
Mines definetly a keeper, been in the family since 18 months old so has sentimental value. Will keep it on the road mot'd for as long as I can until it needs a full resto, which iv been collecting most the parts to do.

ASH GSI
12-02-14, 04:34 PM
Id like to still own a nova in 10 years time but Im unsure if it will be this one, really fancy a turbo one ;)

craig green
12-02-14, 04:36 PM
I'm just sitting on a shell for now & some suspension parts, who knows what it'll look like in 10 years?

Plug
12-02-14, 04:51 PM
I'm just sitting on a shell for now & some suspension parts, who knows what it'll look like in 10 years?

Might even be built ! or you using it as a boat at the moment?

Not a single nova will be around in 10 years, end of lol

sport
12-02-14, 04:58 PM
Ive owned Novas since `95 and had my Sport 12 or 13 years now, cant quite remember which. It will never be sold, also got the Sprint rep which ive had nearly 2 years and once ive done what I want with both of these I wouldn't mind a Spider to finish of the collection.

Edd
12-02-14, 06:13 PM
I will never sell my Sport, never ever, even a stupid current Sport price wouldn't make me sell it

Invested too much time on it now to sell

Have been stocking up on panels if any rust does happen

I have had thoughts of buying another shell as a spare tho lol

But I haven't driven it for over 15 months lol lol lol

Chay84
12-02-14, 06:37 PM
I bought mine planing on keeping it forever but at the amount of time I use it I might end up selling up, I have done about 300 miles in 2 yrs :(

matthew172
12-02-14, 06:55 PM
going to sell mine

Mike
12-02-14, 06:57 PM
Quite an interesting read this thread, some of the replies I mean.

If you ask me though, life's to short so enjoy the fruits of your labour and then move on.

For me, longest owned was only about 2years I think. Been Nova free for nearly 5 years & certainly never looked back if Im honest.

EDIT: And with the continuing dropping prices of modern day used performance cars (RS4's, 911T's, M5's) I doubt Id ever go back aswell lol

Southie
12-02-14, 07:03 PM
going to sell mine
:eek: Surely not.... I call....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQey-2LP1E4

Nick J
12-02-14, 07:35 PM
We'll all sell eventually and move on.... I've heard quite a few people mention selling their novas over the past year that would surprise you! For many their fun whilst being built but afterwards hardly used and more an ornament than anything else.

Nick.

Kev Turbo
12-02-14, 07:40 PM
We'll all sell eventually and move on.... I've heard quite a few people mention selling their novas over the past year that would surprise you! For many their fun whilst being built but afterwards hardly used and more an ornament than anything else.

Nick.
I relate a lot to that sentiment but sometimes not having the ornament is hard too ;)

Lee H
12-02-14, 07:43 PM
Quite an interesting read this thread, some of the replies I mean.

If you ask me though, life's to short so enjoy the fruits of your labour and then move on.

For me, longest owned was only about 2years I think. Been Nova free for nearly 5 years & certainly never looked back if Im honest.

EDIT: And with the continuing dropping prices of modern day used performance cars (RS4's, 911T's, M5's) I doubt Id ever go back aswell lol

This is exactly how I feel. I had my car 12 years but wish I'd realised what I know now a bit sooner.

Nick J
12-02-14, 07:48 PM
I relate a lot to that sentiment but sometimes not having the ornament is hard too ;)

Ive been their and having no toy at all is tough however when I sell my projects I always replace them with something else next time round though I doubt it will be another nova. I guess if you buy anything old and want to keep it in good order your limited to the times of year you can use it as they perish so quickly. If I got offered what mine stands me at I'd sell tommorow!

nick.

Southie
12-02-14, 07:51 PM
Ive been their and having no toy at all is tough however when I sell my projects I always replace them with something else next time round though I doubt it will be another nova. I guess if you buy anything old and want to keep it in good order your limited to the times of year you can use it as they perish so quickly. If I got offered what mine stands me at I'd sell tommorow!

nick.
Keep it for me to buy it ;)

Mike
12-02-14, 07:52 PM
This is exactly how I feel. I had my car 12 years but wish I'd realised what I know now a bit sooner.

Yea I try not to think about things like that lol

I suppose its each to there own really, fair play to yourself (12 years) and other etc just not my cuppa tea. Theres a lot of performance cars out there I would have like to have owned before I retire/die. So moving on was a must for me really.

Jeff16v
12-02-14, 08:28 PM
One of mine is definitely going to be sold this year.

Nova00
12-02-14, 08:34 PM
Very interesting replies.

amggsi
12-02-14, 08:38 PM
One of my Novas was bought new by my granny in 1985, my mum then had it from it was about 9 months old. We kept it until 2001 and it was sold on. Bought it back again in a sorry state almost 2 years ago! So it has been in the family about 18 years out of it's 29 years alive!

Owned the GSi 9 years and can't see me selling it, the Sport or SR, they are keepers. The rest might go for the right offer at some point!

Nick J
12-02-14, 09:17 PM
Keep it for me to buy it ;)

Id love you to have it! However I would like to finish the project and use it a little first. Taking some completing the this one mainly due to other commitments but you'll see that soon enough!

Nick.

Johnny A
12-02-14, 09:47 PM
Got two of them now neither on the road but plans are one as a daily and one as a weekend racer, both being so unique I doubt I would ever get rid.

TWAG
12-02-14, 10:03 PM
I've had mine 11 years now, it was my first car. Can't see me ever selling it.

_Jake
12-02-14, 10:29 PM
if i havent finished it and rolled it within 10 years i'll be disappointed.

blue_peg_16v
13-02-14, 08:07 AM
My 2 are off scrap yard there pissing me off

Southie
13-02-14, 08:11 AM
Id love you to have it! However I would like to finish the project and use it a little first. Taking some completing the this one mainly due to other commitments but you'll see that soon enough!

Nick.

:thumb: I'll be wanting it roughly by 2017 so no rush, it would make a lovely 40th present to myself I reckon Nick :d

novalew
13-02-14, 12:15 PM
I'm not planning on getting rid of mine ever

kbf71
13-02-14, 01:32 PM
Love this thread, kinda makes me want one for the road too...

Plans for the racer are to finish it, then race a few times a year and keep knocking it back in to shape as many times as it takes until there's nobody left to race against :d Keep it solid, keep it fast - saves wasting good panels that could be used for other people's restorations in the future lol

TonySR
13-02-14, 01:43 PM
Had my nova 3 and a bit years now and haven't driven it once, MOT & tax next month, Then will be fitting the X16XE I have once I've done a gasket rebuild on it and repaint and keep for a few more years.

I've always wanted a Anglia 105e or Manta so will have one of them in 10 years most likely.

Nick J
14-02-14, 08:14 PM
:thumb: I'll be wanting it roughly by 2017 so no rush, it would make a lovely 40th present to myself I reckon Nick :d

It may be finished by then lol! ;)

Nick.