PDA

View Full Version : X16xe poor acceleration under load

NitrousVaux
01-02-14, 07:26 PM
Hi All,

I have an X16XE engine and managed to finally get it running in my nova. I had a timing issue which is now sorted but I still have issues when accelerating that it is very boggy and unresponsive through the rev range.

So far I have checked / changed the following:

Idle control valve, cleaned no change.
Spark plugs, changed no change.
Throttle position sensor, changed no change.
Crank sensor, changed no change.
Cam Sensor, changed no change.
EGR Blanked off.
No SAI installed.
VSS all ok.
All chips and transponder ok.
Replaced inlet gaskets in case of air leaks.
Coil pack, changed no change.
HT Leads, changed no change.
Temp Sensor

I now also seem to be getting a tapping noise from the head around the area by the throttle body on the RHS.

I am really confused. All else seems ok. Timing was out but has been rectified and I don't believe any piston / valve problems have occurred.

My next step is to do a compression check.

Anyone get any other ideas?

Codes I flashed were EGR, Immobiliser and SAI faults.

Thanks all for your help in advance

Southie
01-02-14, 08:04 PM
What fuel pump are you running?

Have you changed your spark plugs?

was the engine okay before the conversion?

Have you run extra earth wires as they tend to need them?

Finally get a compression text done.

NitrousVaux
01-02-14, 10:05 PM
Hi

Yeah changed spark plugs. Engine was bought off guy on here and seemed good, but never had it running beforehand.

I have run extra earths too.

Compression test tomorrow.

Ta

Will F
01-02-14, 10:12 PM
Do a compression test just to be sure...

Southie
01-02-14, 10:16 PM
You never said what fuel pump your running, it could be a lack of fuel. What petrol tank have you fit??

NitrousVaux
02-02-14, 08:16 AM
I am running an in tank fuel pump from a meriva. The pump is used on the z16xe engine so should be fine.

meritlover
02-02-14, 09:56 AM
Timing was out but has been rectified

Please explain.
These engines have a tendency for the crank timing pulley to slip on the key way. The timing can look fine relative to the pulley marks but the crank can be out up to 15 deg. Causing boggy flat running, strange fault codes and low compression.

NitrousVaux
02-02-14, 08:36 PM
Please explain.
These engines have a tendency for the crank timing pulley to slip on the key way. The timing can look fine relative to the pulley marks but the crank can be out up to 15 deg. Causing boggy flat running, strange fault codes and low compression.

I had struggled to get the cam timing to line up correctly due to the lobe position on the inlet cam side. I appear to have had it out a tooth or so, which caused a poor idle, as when I finally gave up and brought the correct tool and lined the cams up correctly the idle improved but the bogginess still remained.

How can you confirm if the key way has slipped and what is the remedy?

Cheers,

meritlover
02-02-14, 09:00 PM
You cant tell until you remove the trigger wheel and look end on to the crank and check the key is square in the cam belt pulley. if its slipped. You will see the key will have chewed into the pulley.

NitrousVaux
03-02-14, 03:55 PM
ok cool, that is the next thing to check.

Will F
03-02-14, 08:38 PM
Or just do a compression test as mentioned before? As said, these don't like any sort if timing anomalies... Bent valves ahoy...