PDA

View Full Version : age old question

novalew
31-01-14, 11:25 AM
As you may know I am building up a project nova. I have reached a point where I could do with some help. Im shocking at saving long term and with two kids things always come up.

I wanted to build a let nova but I'm worried about the reliability of buying one as turbos arent cheap and then there is intercooler, boost pipes etc.
The other option is xe with bike carbs. I already have bike carbs (ZZR1100) but have priced the rest of the build at 1500 inc management (nodiz) this includes a rr setup for 2 hours.

Views and opinions please.

I have no experience of either. The car will not be a daily or a track car more a fair weather car about 5000 miles depending on the weather.

Thanks in advance

dgbnova#1
31-01-14, 01:17 PM
Wait for a full running car/setup
with a car you can move the proven running setup over to your car then put ure old engine into the donor car and and sell it on making as much back as possable or strip the donor if that's the best option but probably the cheapest way I'd say

Benn
31-01-14, 04:38 PM
I'd use the £1500 to buy a let and every you need. A std Let will 1, be fast enough to take the car off speedo, B, enough to lose your licence with.
A std one wont really give you any probs. They are fine in the heat or the cold.

You can get a good running let now for £800. A ic and tubing for 150/200, Then it's just a few little bits.
No messing about with getting it mapped to run nice, no mapped to get good power and good fuel.

My Let gives me the best MPG i've had in years.

novalew
31-01-14, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the views. I think I agree benn. The carb route is more expensive than I thought. I think I will have to learn to save.

blue_peg_16v
01-02-14, 01:44 AM
You don't need management for carbs you can run a 1.6 cav dizzy

novalew
01-02-14, 09:33 AM
I know you can run a dizzy but when I was speaking to tom reid he advised management to get the most from the upgrade.

BRoadGhost
01-02-14, 03:10 PM
The secret is to get the springs changed (to the correct weight) inside the distributor so the advance occurs correctly for the twin cam at higher rpm. H&H ignition in Brierley Hill do this routinely. Get one of their ignition amp modules too, the standard vauxhall items don't really hack it.

blue_peg_16v
01-02-14, 10:33 PM
I know you can run a dizzy but when I was speaking to tom reid he advised management to get the most from the upgrade.

I have a mate that has run carbs for years he now runs management but was on the dizzy for years and the only difference he says there is is that its a bit smoother round town his quarter mile times are still the same so imo expensive management is money better spent elsewhere, I have also run an xe on 48 webers for a few years used it as a daily for at least 2 on a dizzy and never had a problem

meritlover
02-02-14, 10:15 AM
These arguments are stupid. If you already have management, why wouldn't you swap the carbs for TBs? The phrase should be 'the money for carbs should be spent elsewhere'. Qtr mile times mean nothing anyway as your foot is pinned anyway so you are probably always running peak adv and you would never see the advantage of 3d mapping.
it would be interesting to know how your mate had the TPS configured on his carbs.