PDA

View Full Version : Problems with lights

Maddukeman
28-01-14, 10:24 PM
Just putting car back together after re spray, and lights are playing up, side lights work fine, then turn to low or high beam and they run for 20-30 seconds then stop and my indicators start to glow, any ideas or anyone had simaler problem, then if I leave car for a hour and check it , still same again

dgbnova#1
28-01-14, 10:29 PM
Not sure what model you got but is the earth wire concerted to the body from the front loom passenger side to the chassis leg along with the gear box earth ? Will be brown wire with 8 mm hole lug at the end

Maddukeman
28-01-14, 10:36 PM
Sorry fogot to say, it's a mk2 think was a 1.2 and has had a redtop fitted, no there is no gearbox to chassis leg but never was when I got, could this be tested with a jump lead to chassis,

dgbnova#1
28-01-14, 11:04 PM
That's your first problem as the motor is not earthed unless u got one to the starter or somewhere else you cannot have to many

from the lights on the passenger side track backwards you should find a thick brown wire that should go to the leg just behind the engine mount there is a taped hole plus add an earth here to the gearbox

Maddukeman
28-01-14, 11:38 PM
Will try that thanks for that :)

Maddukeman
29-01-14, 02:10 PM
Tried it with a jump lead from top of gearbox to were the brown earth wire with lights is at the min which is we're the coil screws down, and every thing was working fine for about ten mins instead of 30seconds and then back to norm, and engine died with beam and blowers on, think its defo something with the earth, and going to get a proper strap and put light earth on to chassis and not the coil, fingers crossed that will sort, thanks for help will let no if sorts cheers

GRUNT 16V
29-01-14, 03:04 PM
silly question but do you have the alternator to engine earth strap ?

dgbnova#1
29-01-14, 03:07 PM
Yes the engine is drawing it's earth from anywhere it can hence your problem
this may damage something so get to done ASAP
You can make your own earth strap from heavy cable and lug eye ends if needed and if it was me I would add a second earth I would add one from the battery lug to the top bolt on the starter motor fixing bolt vauxhall added this to later models for some good reason

Maddukeman
29-01-14, 03:19 PM
Yer there is a strap from engine to alternator also I think, will check later there is one sand wedged between drive shaft support to block ?

dgbnova#1
29-01-14, 03:36 PM
Nether of them are good enough
ault to block/head is standard

the other is from block to block from what you said so the engine has NO earth to the body

I'm not sure why it's even running

Maddukeman
29-01-14, 03:45 PM
See what u mean, will check and let no think the earth on the block when back to battery of memory, hope to check after 7 when kids in bed cheers again for help

Maddukeman
29-01-14, 10:17 PM
Well fingers crossed that's sorted, had engine, lights , heater running for 30mins no problems, found that it seams to of be the lack of earths, the engine was earthed straight to battery and battery to fire wall but must of needed that engine to chassis, thanks for all advice much appreciated ;)

dgbnova#1
29-01-14, 10:35 PM
No problem common problem body shop earth not being re fitted
put a perfect running car in for a wing repair
came back non runner and by some miracle the earth for all front end had been removed but the did not do it lol idiots