PDA

View Full Version : New purchase of an SRi :)

steve1434
28-01-14, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone, just got myself the breeze blue SRi that was for sale on this forum :) Now its been a long time since I owned a Nova and I remember my GTE being nippy, but this SRi seem leagues ahead!!!

What is the rev limiter meant to be at? The clocks finish at 7000 but I can go way past that - to what I am not sure because I didn't want to find out before I give it a once over tomorrow

The ratio of the gears feels super close, I was having the time of my life changing up and down on the B roads :) and the car feels much quicker than the 82bhp it was born with??? Gets to 90 very easily and quickly.

Am I caught up in Nova nostalgia or could it be a lucky find? It wipes the floor with my 1.6 S golf!!!

Think I may pop round to a RR if I can find one and see what its doing.

lee 16v
28-01-14, 10:35 PM
I use to love my old SRi I could keep up with my mates 1.8 turbo beetle until we got up to high speeds. I think I got my digi dash up to 131 mph but I dont know what it was really doing lol.

Welcome back to the nova bug.

craig green
29-01-14, 12:19 AM
The SRi's do have the shortest geared boxes of all Novas I think, maybe correct in saying the Corsa with the same engine was even closer/lower again!! These are good engines & worth getting some cylinder head work done & they respond very well to bigger inlet valves & flowing.

get some pics up.

Pistol Pete
29-01-14, 01:01 AM
As Craig said, cracking engines these. Before I convert mine to xe power, the original c14se took some abuse and still came back for more.

Will F
29-01-14, 11:36 AM
If it revs passed 6750, either the tachometer is ruined or the ecu has had the limiter increased... Either way I wouldn't advise going that far in the rev range!

steve1434
29-01-14, 12:09 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/PE4/th_clip.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/PE4/clip.mp4)

Taken on my go pro then compressed in movie maker

Will F - I agree, I think the clocks are good as they pretty much match gps speeds but I am yet to check it 100 %

BRoadGhost
29-01-14, 08:00 PM
Sound is woefully out of sync.

Performance looks good & right for what it is; fast to 85 / 90 then struggling to climb.

Understand that something with 200bhp in that exact same chassis would struggle to get to 60 that quick considering the conditions. But then it would have no trouble at all pulling hard round to 130+

Balley
29-01-14, 08:51 PM
Sounds great mate.

Will F
29-01-14, 09:02 PM
You were changing at the limiter then? Otherwise let's see it go to 9 lol

steve1434
29-01-14, 09:02 PM
It does pull okay past 90 but not filming that like haha :)

Balley - has 4 branch manifold, standard system with decat. Standard airbox also

steve1434
29-01-14, 09:27 PM
Was not on the limiter, thats off the clock - I reckon at nearly 8 grand!!!!

deneil_gsi2000
30-01-14, 12:19 PM
My old 1400 lived on the limiter..... actually all my cars do lol that used to scream off the rev counter . I think the clocks were duff though lol

steve1434
30-01-14, 02:20 PM
It does seem at home on the redline like :) Taking it in for a RR Saturday morning to start the day off and to mark the start of the build - don't want to redtop the car but might try and build a decent 1.6 16v maybe?!

crazynovagsi
15-02-14, 05:23 PM
Hi mate did you manage to take it for RR? would be nice to know what it was running. I use to own that nova for 5 years. Was pretty quick did run a 17.0 Sec 1/4 Mile in that.

Rich
15-02-14, 10:31 PM
These are great engines, my first nova had a c14se from a corsa sri, to be honest i think i had more fun in it than the 20xe it had after! Will take all the abuse you want to give it and some. 4 branch, full system and a kent cam will improve its top end too :) I had mine reading well off the clocks with my kent cam in it on a private track.

Spudly
16-02-14, 01:18 PM
Am i the only one sat here thinking, why the hell were you doing 100mph in the rain?

And then to post a video of you doing so on a public forum, certainly isnt the cleverest of things to be doing in my opinion!

Edd
16-02-14, 02:30 PM
Yep the FBI will be on to you lol

steve1434
17-02-14, 02:17 AM
Couldn't get to the RR due to work unfortunately, will do soon though.

Spudly - I understand your concern, and opinions are free to give and keep. I am aware of the dangers of public forum videos and peoples perception of what is in/outside the law. Its because I know whats what that I can post without fear - not that I have anything to worry about. 90 ish mph on 24 year old tacho......different rolling circumference from factory wheels etc, the list is endless, assuming I am driving, assuming its my car etc etc - I wouldn't watch car vids on youtube mate, you will have lots more thinking on your hands ;)