PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet lifters vs bonnet stay

rich a
27-01-14, 09:12 PM
Currently the car has liffters an im not sure weather to ditch them or not. So your opinions thoughts for or against lets hear them cheers

bazil
27-01-14, 09:19 PM
Lifters are good on windy days,

marc69
27-01-14, 09:29 PM
I had the bonnet pins on my 1.4 track car on it when I bought it (the bonnet stay panel had been cut out). The second drive after I got it on the road they gave way on acceleration, wrecked the bonnet, winscreen and bent the panel in front of the windscreen (I did put my foot down)

As a temporary measure, I used padlocks, everyone at Knockhill will remember those.

Once I got time and had learnt the basics of welding, I welded the panel in and fitted the standard bonnet stay, never had a problem since and I have never heard of anyone having problems with bonnet stays apart from styling lol

PS thge bonnet lifting was wierd...slow motion and you are completely blind

tommy8252
27-01-14, 09:47 PM
Currently the car has liffters an im not sure weather to ditch them or not. So your opinions thoughts for or against lets hear them cheers

I'll quite happily swap my stay for your lifters.

Lifters for me provide so much more room to work under the bonnet without having to wrap yourself around a stay but as always its down to personal preference.

scott.parker
27-01-14, 10:21 PM
You can fit lifters, but most kits are utter rubbish and need alot of modifying to get right, but then they aways seam to twist and hit on the bonnet edges and wings..

Damoh
27-01-14, 10:41 PM
Have them on my corsa handy for doing any work only thing is sometimes got to be anusted as the twist them selfs around and bonnet wont close or has funky panel gaps but its a go car no show car so not to fussed

jimbob-mcgrew
28-01-14, 01:54 AM
your opinions thoughts

put them in a vice until they snap, then set them on fire.

rich a
28-01-14, 06:36 AM
Cheers guys the reason for binning them is because they chew the wings make the bonnet sit high at the back but i like the convenience of them just not the hassle an damage. Has anyone got them and set up scrapingso they don't have above probs ?

GRUNT 16V
28-01-14, 10:39 AM
I remember when kits were not available when we wanted them so we used metro tailgate gas lifters this was in the late 90s old skool

Benn
28-01-14, 11:38 AM
You can fit lifters, but most kits are utter rubbish and need alot of modifying to get right, but then they aways seam to twist and hit on the bonnet edges and wings..

What? I've had lifters on since 2004. Never had a kit not fit, never had the twist or hit anything. All have fitted bang on.All i fit they do is lift the bonnet at the rear a bit more when closed. But it's easily fixed by gently pulling the side lip of the bonnet out by about 2mm.

Lifters look much better than a stay, no crap in the bay at the front of the bay, plus a stay ruins a nice bay photo.
Lifters are neater and tidier too.

Lettering comes off them with a wipe of thinners/sprits.

millworm
28-01-14, 11:47 AM
Use lifters on mine, spot on. No problems with them, plus they're shiny

rich a
28-01-14, 12:35 PM
Would u be able to send me some picks Ben or anyone who uses them with no probs. mine r bolted to the bonnet arms an then cut across the top of the wings for the other end to screw into the wing where the 3rd or 4th wing bolts should b hence it catches the wing

Benn
28-01-14, 01:18 PM
Best i have off hand.... Can get a better one tonight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates%20June%202011%20on/IMG_0447.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bennh/media/Car%20updates%20June%202011%20on/IMG_0447.jpg.html)

millworm
28-01-14, 03:25 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/4294/bqd1.jpg

rich a
28-01-14, 06:23 PM
cheers guys mine were bolted on the other side of the bonnet hinge. Did u both buy your kits with long bolts for the hinge end or can u change them coz mine aint gonna be long enough to go on the other side, better still where did u get the kit from ?

Benn
28-01-14, 08:10 PM
Mine kit came from Supernovas and had the longer spacers in it. All the kits i seen do. Kits a lynx iirc.