PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a Blydenstein head

burnard
27-01-14, 01:56 PM
Hey,

I have been talking to someone about buying an engine which a blydenstein head, the engine is built up, I just wanted to know if there was any way that i would be able to confirm that the head is infact a blydenstein head, and if possible, which version it is as well.

Thanks,

Chris.

GRUNT 16V
28-01-14, 10:38 AM
Not without taking the head off

dgbnova#1
28-01-14, 12:41 PM
If I was building my engine with that head I would take photos that's a fact
if building a e16 up I would not probably
what about receipt for the head
there is a big difference in price from what your offered and standard/mildly flowed head so if it's low price I'd think hard about it
last head I spotted advertised went for good money £220 iirc and was sold in hours so if it is on you could be well in depending what the cost is

burnard
28-01-14, 06:30 PM
Well, the cost is £550 delivered, thats with a cam and vernier pulley as well.

This is the picture i have from down the ports, which is what made me question whether or not the head is what he says it is.
From what i understand he bought the engine from someone else on here and is just going off what he had been told, so i have no reason to believe he is being dishonest, but i just want to make sure that i am getting what i think im getting.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/wwinstanley/nova/0BFCE1A6-832D-431D-A132-30014A2A2A60.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/wwinstanley/nova/image-3.jpg

He has offered to remove the head to find out for sure, but if its possible to tell without doing that work it would be preferable.
I was hopeing that there might be something stamped on it somewhere to identify it properly?

Thanks,

Chris.

Royston
28-01-14, 06:51 PM
I would expect you could get a head ported to your specifications for that sort of money

Inlet looks as standard cast finish to me, exhaust port is too blurry to make out.

Blydenstein heads for road cars were marketed as B or B+ if I remember correctly, unfortunatley I can't remember the specs. I would of thought there would have been a reference number/marking,

mowgli
28-01-14, 07:02 PM
I'd say that the head is standard. the ports don't look like they have been worked on

Royston
28-01-14, 07:04 PM
I think B was ported/polished and B+ had larger valves

Not much help but
http://www.rogerfletcher.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/zippy/carspec.htm

dgbnova#1
28-01-14, 07:14 PM
I think the thread you need is

pictures of a Blydenstein head

if you get any reply sorry pictures you can compare but to me the ports look standard

For engine work speak to Philip on here he can build to whatever speck you want

_Jake
28-01-14, 09:27 PM
that looks standard to me. My 16se head i was sold as a "blydenstein b+" has 1mm bigger inlet and exhaust valves and light work at the bottom of the inlet ports, which matches what ive read about them on internet, but that doesnt mean anything really. as said speak to philip, he knows his shizz

philip
28-01-14, 10:28 PM
Thats bog standard. The funny thing is.....big valves are a waste. Atandard valves actually flow better than aftermarket due too the tulip design on the back of the valve. Swindon race engines had done back to back testing and always came back too standards. Tbh for 550. You would get far off a ported head, colsibro guides, 3angle seats, modified valves and double valve springs. That would take a serious cam.

dgbnova#1
28-01-14, 10:33 PM
See we told you ^ lol

It looks like he's ether had his pants down or he's trying to spank you lol

GRUNT 16V
29-01-14, 10:41 AM
To be honest when I had mine delivered over 10 years ago it didn't look like much work had been carried out on the ports only around the throat area where the valves met the seats it also had triple angle seats for the valves and then the famous big valves I will try and find some pictures of it what I do know is Bill Blydentein didn't polish the ports as this made performance worse he preferred to sandblast them for the tumble effect it so called made it better for air fuel combination before it hit the cylinders etc clever bloke was Bill really nice to deal with to Rip

meritlover
29-01-14, 01:01 PM
at least you now have a good standard head to start working on.

philip
29-01-14, 03:01 PM
No one should polish inlet ports anyway as fuel can pool. Ex ports would be fine to polish up though.