PDA

View Full Version : engines and ecu's on automatic cars

jimbob-mcgrew
25-01-14, 01:50 PM
does anyone know if engines from automatics can be used ok for transplants ?

mechanically, it just looks like the flywheel outwards is different. (replace all that and you can fit a manual box in theory) ... altho im not sure If the ecu would have a different map coding ? (with high idle on braking and the kickdown, etc) ?

cheers for any help

Damoh
25-01-14, 02:13 PM
does anyone know if engines from automatics can be used ok for transplants ?

mechanically, it just looks like the flywheel outwards is different. (replace all that and you can fit a manual box in theory) ... altho im not sure If the ecu would have a different map coding ? (with high idle on braking and the kickdown, etc) ?

cheers for any help

Engines crom autos can be used,im using a miggy 3.2 v6 in my vectra sri v6,swap fly wheels and your away,as for ecu normal ecu will work fine,its the gear box ecu will be doing the work there

jimbob-mcgrew
25-01-14, 03:36 PM
sweet !

thanks a lot for the info mate (Y) +rep

meritlover
25-01-14, 04:53 PM
generally speaking they are the same, usually there is a separate control unit from the autobox which takes signals like RPM,TPS,mph etc handed off from the engine ECU. occasionally the autobox might 'ask' the engine to retard the timing slightly during a shift to reduce the torque momentarily. This is one of the few instances where the engine cares whats hanging off the end of it.
the engine its self will be virtually the same, the differences if any will be on the management side. Some auto variants of manual turbo cars have smaller turbos but high volume production Tesco taxis will be likely be churned out identical so they can be made auto or man.

i hope this raises less questions than it answers.

jimbob-mcgrew
25-01-14, 10:05 PM
very well written sir - that raises many less questions indeed.

dis-regarding the important info you've just given me, on top of that ive gained insight into the mind of artificial intelligence !

Damoh
25-01-14, 10:18 PM
Glad to be of help!what engine you thinking of useing anyways?