PDA

View Full Version : briding o2 sensors does it work

dan23
24-01-14, 09:27 PM
is it possible to remove the cat an bridge the o2 sensors to prevent the eml light coming on:confused:

found this
http://m.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265715

burgo
25-01-14, 10:12 AM
I assume you are aware of the new mot rule that statea if a car originally had a cat it must be fitted with one

John
25-01-14, 12:50 PM
Why not just find the cause of eml and repair?

dan23
25-01-14, 05:01 PM
I assume you are aware of the new mot rule that statea if a car originally had a cat it must be fitted with one

I m aware of the rule but depending on where the car was mot ed it wouldn't matter
its my mums car the cat is the main suspect causing the eml light to come

burgo
26-01-14, 10:28 AM
Just replace the cat. They dont cost much thes days. Ive just put one on an a3 that cost £70. If that makes the car run right then the cost of it will soon be outweighed by the fuel saving

Nobby
26-01-14, 10:42 AM
Wat a ****ing bodge

Stuart
26-01-14, 10:42 AM
How old is the car? If its newer than 2000 then it will be the post cat sensor causing the engine management light to come on.

that link above is utter crap and sheer luck that it works. Coincidentally I am making a second batch of post cat cheaters that will properly solve these issues regardless of the reason for wanting it.

Chances are its the sensor at fault and not the cat.

therealnovaboy
26-01-14, 01:38 PM
youd be as well taking the bulb out the eml.

Damo
26-01-14, 08:19 PM
99 times out of ten its a sensor at fault not the cat the cat can only clean the gas it's being fed.

meritlover
26-01-14, 08:34 PM
99 times out of ten........

78% of statistics are pointless.

dan23
06-02-14, 04:58 PM
I fitted a new sensor then a week later the eml light is back on an the car runs very poor the fault code this time is po131 low voltage to bank 1 sensor ( the sensor is new )

its pointless removing the bulb it's thee to tell u there is a fault but that's obvious in this case
i had put some valve cleaner in the day before eml came on maybe this has blocked the sensor if not then I guess the fault is wiring

Stuart
06-02-14, 08:10 PM
What car is it.
where did you get the sensor from
p0131 implies bank 1 sensor 1 which is the before cat sensor is shorted to ground.

dan23
06-02-14, 09:44 PM
What car is it.
where did you get the sensor from
p0131 implies bank 1 sensor 1 which is the before cat sensor is shorted to ground.

Chevrolet kalos 1.4 16v
got the sensor from euro car parts
I ve looked at the sensor the wire isn't touching anything so I m assuming its a wire in the actual loom that is grounded
is there any way I can test for this :thumb:

Stuart
06-02-14, 10:01 PM
You'll have to pull the ecu connector and buzz the wires through

dan23
07-02-14, 07:20 AM
So unplug ecu connector ( what does it look like ) does the connector for the O2 sensor only have one wire ?
Then live from buzzer on connector an other end to earth an move the wire until the buzzer sounds
does ignition need to be in on position or the engine running
a pic of the connector would be very helpfull

Stuart
07-02-14, 08:16 AM
Well the ecu connector will be at the ecu and while I'm a bit of a smart ass with how ecus work, I don't know where every one is located nor what the connectors look like but it will be lots more than one wire. The lambda connector should be easy to find as its connected to the ssensor in the exhaust pipe before the cat

meritlover
07-02-14, 08:54 AM
An easier way to prove stuarts theory would be to disconnect the lambda sensor and run the car. If there is a short in the wiring then the same fault code will remain and you will have to bell-out the loom to find the short. If the wiring is ok, you should get a different code telling you the sensor voltage is high. In which case it is likely your new sensor is at fault.

dan23
09-02-14, 09:07 PM
An easier way to prove stuarts theory would be to disconnect the lambda sensor and run the car. If there is a short in the wiring then the same fault code will remain and you will have to bell-out the loom to find the short. If the wiring is ok, you should get a different code telling you the sensor voltage is high. In which case it is likely your new sensor is at fault.

with the sensor unplugged it gives fault code 134 an 135
if I remember correct inactive 02 sensor an o2 malfunction didn't say anything about high voltage

meritlover
10-02-14, 06:38 AM
There is maybe something else at fault causing the mixture to run rich which would give a low voltage.

dan23
10-02-14, 03:01 PM
The eml comes on after about 10 mins if driving when the engine is warm
what should I check next air flow sensor

Stuart
10-02-14, 09:03 PM
IMHO, if it was another sensor being poor then you'd get faults for them.