PDA

View Full Version : Getting more castor for free/cheap

Mieran
15-01-14, 10:46 PM
Right, I can't afford rose jointed arms and I'm not paying nearly £200 for the offset uniball ball joints.

My tie bars are already machined 10mm, what other options do I have?

I was thinking of elongating the bottom balljoint holes so balljoint sits a bit forward but problem there is I won't be able to tighnted the nut anymore cos it'll be too close to the wishbone side wall.

Any ideas?

dgbnova#1
15-01-14, 11:45 PM
You can machine the shoulder on the tie bar to bring the bottom arms forward and whatever you remove 5-10 mm just add a spacer before the nut job done

Mieran
15-01-14, 11:58 PM
First post says that I've already done that lol

Other option is elongating ball joint holes?

dgbnova#1
16-01-14, 12:05 AM
Doooo how the hell did I miss that sorry
how much more do you want ?

bazil
16-01-14, 12:07 AM
First post says that I've already done that lol

Other option is elongating ball joint holes?

Cut them out and reweld in new metal thats a bit thicker to allow more travel yet retains more strength

On my S3 the holes are about 12mm long to allow adjustment

dgbnova#1
16-01-14, 12:21 AM
I was thinking similar weld plate on top of bottom arm then cut and splay the front edge of the arm and weld up forward onto new plate and just re drill new holes weld old ones up if needs b and plate the bottom to make the arm stronger

Iain
16-01-14, 09:47 AM
Focus on the turret area and pulling the topmount back in the engine bay.

I'm on spherical bearing topmounts which allow for a small amount of adjustment but I have filed the turrets out so they can sit right back in the turret.

How much caster do you have and how much are you aiming for?

Out of interest is the bottom arm on a standard bush? Does it cope fine with 10mm off the tiebar?

Mieran
16-01-14, 10:14 PM
Turrts are last option but is something I've been looking into as well.

The bushes are squeezed a bit and not really ideal but I've got red ones in and seem to be OK. If they were softer ones like purples or orange they wouldn't last.

Benn
16-01-14, 11:02 PM
Id go with turret work, simple and effective.

Lomas is breaking his track Nova on mig, one of Jonlems tiebar&lower arm set up... 200 notes....

Iain
17-01-14, 10:32 AM
Turrets give further without changing the shaft/track rod angles any more, and offer more fine tuning than just some balljoint modifications.

You haven't said how much you're aiming for and what you are currently running.

Mieran
19-01-14, 12:08 PM
I looked for the print out but couldn't find it, I think I'm something like 2 degree atm, want about 4 if possible