PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

phunkynova
05-01-14, 05:37 PM
I don't have one yet But I'm thinking of get one (Asus google nexus 7) for work use. Are they any good or just a toy ?
Any experiences or recommendations ?.

chrisd1986
05-01-14, 05:41 PM
Not heard of these kind of tablets before anadin extra is good but if your after a buzz I can get blue tablets for £3 each in a club in town

7ova
05-01-14, 05:45 PM
Got my daughter a nexus 7 a year ago she had it a week
Took it back and changed it for a I pad mini.
I pad a lot better but you pay more

phunkynova
05-01-14, 05:46 PM
Not really that funny ^ .

Tablet as in small portable computing device/note book not the drug or medicine type.

phunkynova
05-01-14, 05:49 PM
Got my daughter a nexus 7 a year ago she had it a week
Took it back and changed it for a I pad mini.
I pad a lot better but you pay more

Thanks 7ova not to sure on going down the Apple road.
Why did she take it back ?.

scott.parker
05-01-14, 05:52 PM
I pads are over rated over size i phone's..

Nexus 7 are good, but again imo there an over size goolge/Android based smart phone, imo them windows tablets with click on keyboard look the best, but ive never used one.. I would imagine they would be basically a pc/laptop tablet.

Btw my missus has ipad5 my mum has a nexus 7.

pete17
05-01-14, 05:53 PM
Galaxy 3 tab are pretty good my missis loves hers and my monster in law has just got one too lol

7ova
05-01-14, 05:54 PM
I had the larger I pad and compared to that the nexus 7 the nexus was very slow and struggled to keep up.
So because she had used my I pad and this was rubbish compared to it we changed it.

But I suspose if we didn't have anything to compare it to it was fine
And did the job.
End of day you get what you pay for

Adam
05-01-14, 05:57 PM
If you are ok with a small-ish screen. Get the LATEST Nexus 7

phunkynova
05-01-14, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input so far

phunkynova
05-01-14, 06:00 PM
I would prefer a 7inch screen as I would like to take out and about on the course with me.

pete17
05-01-14, 06:01 PM
any tablet u get u need a minimum 10.1 screen , other wise they just look like a big phone

phunkynova
05-01-14, 06:03 PM
Not heard of these kind of tablets before anadin extra is good but if your after a buzz I can get blue tablets for £3 each in a club in town

I thought the blue ones are for people with erectile dysfunction.

chrisd1986
05-01-14, 06:07 PM
I thought the blue ones are for people with erectile dysfunction.

That may explane the side effects even if it did take you a while to thi k of it

pete17
05-01-14, 06:15 PM
I use the same tablets when I work on the doors, only I crush them up and sprinkle them in my eyes!!! cos they make me LOOK HARD !!! lol

L14MNP
05-01-14, 07:46 PM
Not really that funny ^ .

Tablet as in small portable computing device/note book not the drug or medicine type.

I'll have a go.

Is there a bluetooth link to tell you when the grass box on your lawn mower is full or an app for when a gopher digs up the green?

kbf71
05-01-14, 10:38 PM
Do you want the Tablet for Pace Notes? Would be easier to save previous notes, easier to read, easier to store...

Novasport
05-01-14, 10:59 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it, boots up instantly and easy to use. It tethers with my Galaxy S3 for mobile 4G broadband. Couple of hundred quid cheaper than having an apple logo on the back too

millworm
05-01-14, 11:02 PM
Kindle fire hd is good

wwmnw
05-01-14, 11:29 PM
My mam has an ipad 16gb thing that she bought about 6 months ago, it's ok but slightly slow at loading web pages, touch screen can be iffy when trying to close pictures on facebook but that could be because I'm a whale and have penis fingers.

phunkynova
06-01-14, 04:21 PM
Do you want the Tablet for Pace Notes? Would be easier to save previous notes, easier to read, easier to store...

It's not for rally use.
All my old pace notes are on paper and stored as we some time use the same roads again.

phunkynova
06-01-14, 04:22 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it, boots up instantly and easy to use. It tethers with my Galaxy S3 for mobile 4G broadband. Couple of hundred quid cheaper than having an apple logo on the back too

I must admit the Samsung stuff dose look good.

rubachuk
06-01-14, 04:45 PM
I did a bit of research into these before Christmas, my Mum wanted to buy Dad one and asked for advice. The LATEST (as said) Nexus 7 seems to come up top of any reviews I read, aside from any of the Ipads. Got one for £179.99 off Amazon.

I have a New Ipad (even though it's not the new ipad anymore), which I have to say is great as much as I generally hate Apple stuff. If I personally was looking for a tablet and I was happy with a 7" screen and could cope with the itunes ****e, I think I'd try and find the extra £70 and go for an Ipad Mini

ouncie
09-01-14, 01:09 PM
I'm a test engineer for a communications company and just before xmas we tested a range of pads & tablets. IMO Apple devices are over rated and over priced (says me who went and spent 350 on an ipad for her for xmas). They are however the most popular device.

When we were testing the following operating systems were used: (there have more than likely been some OS updates since then)

Android 4.2
iOS 7.0.3
Windows 8 Pro
Fire 3.0

And the devices tested were:

Nexus 7
Toshiba Excite
Samsung Galaxy
Sony Experia
iPad Air
Kindle Fire
Lenovo ThinkPad
Lenovo Yoga Tablet
Microsoft Surface

Anyway, my reccommendations would be for processor speeds:
1. Nexus 7 @ 2.5Ghz
2. Kindle Fire @2.2Ghz
3. Toshiba Excite @ 1.9 Ghz
The Lenovo ThinkPad has a 2.8Ghz processor but for the jump in price we didn't find it was worth it and didn't seem to be any faster than the Excite.

For Screen size the Kindle Fire is only 9.1" but I feel it's the perfect size, although that's just my opinion. Most of the rest are around the 10.1" mark with the largest being the Microsoft Surface @ 10.6 inches.

If I were buying a tablet for myself I would have to go for either the Nexus7 or the Toshiba Excite.

Hopefully this may be of some use to you.

Regards,
Cónan.

phunkynova
09-01-14, 02:30 PM
Thanks for that Conan. I went for the new Nexus 7 in the end.