PDA

View Full Version : Ireland

Yorkie
02-01-14, 09:22 PM
Hoping to be going to Ireland with some friends, one of them hasn't got a passport.... does she need one to travel to Ireland?

JShannon
02-01-14, 09:34 PM
North or south? North a driving licence will be OK, unsure of south but have a feeling you need the passport....

Damoh
02-01-14, 09:36 PM
Used to be able to travel back and forth on ferry with out lassport up until last year i think it was or the year before,so he will more than likley need one

jonn
02-01-14, 09:38 PM
from reading this i don't she will need one but i have never been to the uk so not 100% sure. best to ring an airline or ferry company to find out.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

yellowsrnova
02-01-14, 09:40 PM
plane to northern ireland train down to ireland !!

Yorkie
02-01-14, 09:44 PM
It seems such a grey area and I cant seem to get a straight answer of websites so will ring the company we use to fly over like you have said.... thanks guys :)

Yorkie
02-01-14, 09:46 PM
plane to northern ireland train down to ireland !!

Wanted to go to Dublin but may look into this idea. Thanks.

craig green
02-01-14, 10:18 PM
Ive heard you need a passport for UK internal flights, best to get the forms & a photo taken I'd say.

kingwick
02-01-14, 10:41 PM
You don't need a passport but you do need Id like a driving licence

kbnova
02-01-14, 10:46 PM
no passport needed, eu country so driving license ok

scott.parker
02-01-14, 10:48 PM
You don't need a passport but you do need Id like a driving licence

Google it Manda, but it use to be you could use your driving licence as photo id to travel to Dublin.

Jack
02-01-14, 10:54 PM
5 seconds on google, come on lol (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland/entry-requirements)

Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you.

I've been through the south a couple times with work. Just used my driving licence photocard jobber.

We did get advised to be careful where we went in Dublin though as we had a UK reg'd car!

Yorkie
02-01-14, 11:01 PM
Mmmmmmm I was born in Germany. So I will definitely take my passport then.

phunkynova
03-01-14, 06:17 PM
Be careful going over EU boarders with just a driving license you need only one difficult boarder guard or Police officer and you'll be sent back as I have found out.
Most over EU lands have official ID cards which are good but driving licenses are not a officially recognized form of ID.

Alex J
03-01-14, 06:46 PM
Book an appointment at the passport office in peterbourgh and get one in a day!

Yorkie
03-01-14, 09:30 PM
Iv got one... its my friend who hasn't and she reckons she cant afford one :( ..... I was just going to use my licence like she would have too but now I'm not sure.

amggsi
03-01-14, 10:46 PM
You going to ROI is no different to me driving over the border, and no passport required!

ouncie
09-01-14, 07:25 PM
I've been over and back from Dublin Port / Dun Laoghaire to Hollyhead loads of times, the most recent in October and my licence was enough, never had any issue coming back home. :thumb:

kbnova
09-01-14, 07:36 PM
watch out for the machine gun turrets, no id they shoot u

Dod
10-01-14, 08:55 PM
Going to Dublin you will need ID but no passport. Its not a rough or dangerous place but beware of these lads if you see them.
http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/lovehate/

They once killed Robert Sheehan.