PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar for hatch back??

Martin.p
01-01-14, 10:36 PM
Is there a tow bar available for the hatch back nova? Sure I've seen them for the saloon!?

Thing is id want a removable one. (Not the entire thing) just the visible part. Don't mind seeing the section under the bumper.

is there such thing available? Or am I going to have to make it??

Anyone got any pics that will help me?

Reason being. I'm planning on making a trailer out of the back end of a nova. And making it a sleeping trailer, for camping/meets.

Jack
01-01-14, 10:49 PM
There's a couple on ebay. Not cheap though.

Or there's one here (http://www.towbars-uk.co.uk/product/towbars-by-vehicle-make/20162/Vauxhall-Opel-Towbars) for about £50

Martin.p
01-01-14, 11:04 PM
£50 ain't a bad price tbh. Paid 200 for removable one on the calibra.

Dont look like that one is removable/detachable, also says not for GTE/GSI why do ya think that is?? Maybe the fuel pump is where the bracket goes??

Martin.p
01-01-14, 11:06 PM
Ref^^

mine is a c20let. So closer to GTE/GSI!?

dgbnova#1
01-01-14, 11:11 PM
I removed one this week it did not go near the pump but on a gte you would need to cut the bumper i would say with this one not sure why on a gsi but this was mk2 and a tight fit on the bumper.
There was a used on for sale recent

Martin.p
01-01-14, 11:26 PM
I removed one this week it did not go near the pump but on a gte you would need to cut the bumper i would say with this one not sure why on a gsi but this was mk2 and a tight fit on the bumper.
There was a used on for sale recent

Arrr, I see, makes sense on give GTE. Thankfully I've got a mk2. (Was a 1.4 luxe) now a let, dressed up as a GSI (apart from front bumper)

so they did make towbars that where intended for hatch. But maybe/maybe not removable type?

Thanks

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dgbnova#1 again.

:(

boffer8
01-01-14, 11:28 PM
Got one in my garage I removed off of a mk2 shell this year if your after one, pm if your interested ;)

Martin.p
01-01-14, 11:29 PM
Pm on way.

Vlietje
02-01-14, 05:57 AM
My GSi has one fitted, don't ask me why... I don't know. Check my thread for pics:

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?168036-Project-Silk-Violet-GSi&p=1850714&viewfull=1#post1850714

Jack
02-01-14, 04:25 PM
I'd say its probably due to the bumper, the GTE has a larger rear apron at the bottom.

mowgli
02-01-14, 08:29 PM
i made one to fit mine.

i bought an el cheapo one off the bay, then set about making it fit my mk1 (with gte fuel pump & gte rear bumper)

the majority of hatch towbars rely on massive shonky looking angle irons in the boot area that really look hideous. i made mine a little less obvious on the inside, then for the outer bit, i bought a westfalia(sp) removeable one off a vectra (£5 and local) and cut it up & fitted it to a std towbar flange.
it looks reasonable & is removeable.

deneil_gsi2000
02-01-14, 08:50 PM
If you want a removable one that's hidden away when not in use then get a detachable swan neck type. I've got one on my e46 and when the tow balls off you can't tell there's one fitted.i doubt there's one available for nova. But you could modify one off another car.