PDA

View Full Version : Front splash guards

rich a
30-12-13, 08:34 PM
Has anyone on here any experience of making a pair of these as it seems u cant buy them. I guessing u start with card and start with a template an go from there any help tips appreciated cheers guys :confused:

Andy
30-12-13, 08:37 PM
as you have said,cardboard templates and take your time.Only way im afraid.

rich a
30-12-13, 08:42 PM
Cheers andy have u made some? do u know if they extend under the arch at the top so they go in beside the shock turret ?

Edit boffer8 has some picks of the same sort of thing in his project thread c19 bjs about half way down cheers

meritlover
30-12-13, 09:33 PM
yes, but you need to trial fit them with the wing so you can get it as close as possible without touching.

best chance is to take a cardboard template of the old one as said. usually the metal has rotten away leaving nothing but underseal, but it can be enough to work with. The seam is a pain as its sandwiched between two other panels so is difficult to clean up for a decent weld. The drivers side with the lower arial mount is normally the worst one.

mowgli
30-12-13, 09:43 PM
would corsa ones be any use?

dgbnova#1
30-12-13, 09:48 PM
would corsa ones be any use?

The plastic part? I would think it does not fit and he's after the steel part at the back of the inner wing area. But its wings on and card template but its not to hard just put card on wings edge and draw the line in then cut that as a start will be close to start off

rich a
31-12-13, 07:35 AM
yes, but you need to trial fit them with the wing so you can get it as close as possible without touching.

best chance is to take a cardboard template of the old one as said. usually the metal has rotten away leaving nothing but underseal, but it can be enough to work with. The seam is a pain as its sandwiched between two other panels so is difficult to clean up for a decent weld. The drivers side with the lower arial mount is normally the worst one.

Cheers merit + rep your way. My splash guards are in one piece and whole but having cleaned the wax oil off in places its starting to go so making card template should be ok. Any idea how u form the little lip along the edge of the new metal where it meets the wing? also do u try and put the curve in the metal first or is it a case of clamp tack and bend/roll the metal as u go up the inner arch ?

rich a
31-12-13, 07:39 AM
The plastic part? I would think it does not fit and he's after the steel part at the back of the inner wing area. But its wings on and card template but its not to hard just put card on wings edge and draw the line in then cut that as a start will be close to start off

cheers dave + rep for u