PDA

View Full Version : Cv joint knocking after LET conversion

Martin.p
30-12-13, 06:31 PM
I have got the nova on the road with the let in it. An found the near side CV joint is making a loud clicking/knocking when it's on full lock (turning left) and the same noise when it's nearly at full lock & at full lock (turningright)

I put both front wheels in the air and rotated the wheel while at both locks and there is no noise at all. :confused:
There is I tiny bit of play, meaning, I can push and pull it a bit (as if it was going in and out the gearbox or hub. (At all steering positions, both sides)

so I pulled the driveshaft out. And had a feel at rolling the joint around its maximum ability. <<<(couldn't think how else to describe :D )
and it feels fine. Smooth as hell in fact.

I didn't make the shafts up. I bought them complete. I'm guessing there GTE shaft with cav inners.

Ive be read old threads about lmf ones and comments of needing to put a washer on before going through hub?
Have I missed something like this or another obvious (to you) thing??
i do have some 1.4 outer cv joints. I think from what I've looked up they should fit!? (As long as my shafts are GTE 22/28 spline!? )

Any suggestions?

Andy
30-12-13, 06:46 PM
sure its not your tyre scrubbing the box?

Balley
30-12-13, 06:59 PM
sounds like you have a knocking ns outer cv, Just replace with a new joint. They are only about £30. Remember to buy a 22 spline GTE GSi item though.

Martin.p
30-12-13, 07:16 PM
Andy,
na, it's not hitting the gearbox, because I had that problem befor mot and spent a day taking the steering rack apart and fitting a stopper so it limited how far the wheel turned.

Balley,
the cv was defo what I was blaming, till I pulled it out and had a feel. then I made thread
but even though it 'feels' ok I've just changed it anyway for one off my 1.4 and it fitted with 28 splines.
From what I've read all outer cv's (1.1-1.6 ) all have 28 on the outer side but the GTE ones have 22 on the inside with 28 on outside.

Now ow putting car back together. But keep suggestions coming in case it's not right still.

Andy
30-12-13, 07:24 PM
all outer cvs are the same yes

Andy
30-12-13, 07:25 PM
I seem to remember people having problems with the shaft angles with F28's.Are you using F20 or 28?

Martin.p
30-12-13, 07:30 PM
I'm using a F20.

another thing is I get vibration at higher speeds 60-80 like wheels not balanced well. (Which it could be) or I read it could be inner joints.
But what about that weight on the long shaft? It's still there! Do I leave it?
Logic says it shouldn't need to be touched. But you lot know these conversions inside out.

Andy
30-12-13, 08:25 PM
Has it been tracked up?
My 2.0 Novas were horrible til tracked up on a laser align.
A shafted cv could cause vibration,however don't let this blinker your diagnosis.
(still on about vibration) Start with obvious,get it tracked up (if not done)
Check all bushes.Check disc runout.All relatively simple/cheap checks.
Check wheel bearings,a good tip- spin the wheel off the floor while holding a coil on the spring,if the bearing is shagged you will feel the vibrations
There really isn't much it could be.

Martin.p
30-12-13, 08:27 PM
Success :d

I changed the cv joint
I also packed more cv grease in all 4 joints
and fitted the anti roll bar (thought I'd run without after reading mixed opinion)

The knocking noise has gone :)
The vibration at speed has stopped :)
The handling feels waaaayyy better (IMO) :)

Sorted :thumb:

Andy
30-12-13, 08:29 PM
Happy days.

Martin.p
30-12-13, 08:33 PM
Has it been tracked up?
My 2.0 Novas were horrible til tracked up on a laser align.
A shafted cv could cause vibration,however don't let this blinker your diagnosis.
(still on about vibration) Start with obvious,get it tracked up (if not done)
Check all bushes.Check disc runout.All relatively simple/cheap checks.
Check wheel bearings,a good tip- spin the wheel off the floor while holding a coil on the spring,if the bearing is shagged you will feel the vibrations
There really isn't much it could be.

I tracked the front wheels with them old type that clamp to front wheel with the arm that has a elastic across the front.
i do plan to get it 4 wheel aligned (only been on rd 9 days)
All power flex bushes, discs where skimmed with new pads. And I had thought it might be them bedding in. But the efforts tonight have sorted thankfully.

Many my thanks for your help +rep :thumb:

Andy
30-12-13, 08:35 PM
No problem,glad it was a straight forward fix.