PDA

View Full Version : ignition cylinder issues..advice please

marc69
22-12-13, 01:17 PM
A few weeks ago the ignition cyinder end snapped on my SR. I put in a temporary spare which didn't have the hook thing at the end.
Today I went to replace this with another cylinder which also has a full lock set meaning only one key instead of five for this car.

It was difficult and wouldn't go in fully so I pulled it back out, the notch bit on top that is pressed down during removal was broken (as were the previous two in this car) and the end bit (hook shape) snapped off whilst I was pulling it out (without much force). I assume there is a problem with the actual housing on this car. I have never had any bother like this ever on any car before and this is the first time since I bought it that the car is being used regularily.

My question now is, putting in the temporary cylinder and keeping it, is it going to be safe?
The hook bit off the attempted fitting is sitting somewhere in the housing and I can't even see it but the steering no longer locks.
I have put this cylinder in with loctite super duper expensive glue so it shouldn't come out ever.

I am terrified of the steering lock coming on whilst driving it if this hook thing is sitting somewhere in the housing and moves whilst driving, is this a possibility or will it be safe?

Anyone who knows and can advice me would be much appreciated.

meritlover
22-12-13, 01:48 PM
swap the column or drift out the shear-bolts with a chisle and replace the barrel assembly. if you are in any doubt whatsoever that the lock might come on when you drive it then you should just replace it.

turbo-boy
22-12-13, 02:57 PM
Seems nothing is wrong it's the way u put the barrel in and wat postion u have the key when inserting it and

marc69
22-12-13, 03:58 PM
The key goes in and everything works except when you remove the key the steering lock no longer works.

So another question then, if the key is in position one or two can the steering lock?

The reason for asking, is the 1.4 that I have, the steering lock on it never worked and I never thought anything of it. Also when a Nova (rememebr this everyone) was attempted stolen and the barrels were smashed the police used to give the owners a scredriver for the ignition!

So if my key is operating the ignition etc is there anychance the steering lock can lock with the key in it?

If there is is there anyway of removing the steering lock?